What's new

Honey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manuka & Rata honey is the bees kness.

i COMPLETELY agree.. and i always have a jar of both from wedderspoon.. This seashore honey is kinda rata like, but much better

manuka is amazing for wounds.. externally. used in New zealand in hospitals

I read a book all about the benefits honey many years ago. It said that heather honey was the best. So I got some and it was different. It was like jelly. But it was very good. I've looked for it but I cannot find it any where now. I'd love to try it again.

Honey is too acidic for me, unfortunately, it is one of the select edibles that gives me instant heartburn.

I have a jar, currently chestnut honey, next to my pills I take each morning. One spoonful of honey cetainly adds some flavor to an otherwise bitter taste. If anyone makes and sells honey let me know as I enjoy supprting our B&B members.

I read a book all about the benefits honey many years ago. It said that heather honey was the best. So I got some and it was different. It was like jelly. But it was very good. I've looked for it but I cannot find it any where now. I'd love to try it again.

id be hard pressed to find a "best " honey.. but medicinally nothing beats raw manuka or raw Sidr (high grade from yemen) IMO

Have any of you gents have Honeydew before?

"Honeydew is a sugar-rich sticky liquid, secreted by aphids and some scale insects as they feed on plant sap . Honeydew is collected by certain species of birds, wasps, stingless bees[SUP][3][/SUP] and honey bees, which process it into a dark, strong honey (honeydew honey). This is highly prized in parts of Europe and Asia for its reputed medicinal value."

I have a jar, currently chestnut honey, next to my pills I take each morning. One spoonful of honey cetainly adds some flavor to an otherwise bitter taste. If anyone makes and sells honey let me know as I enjoy supprting our B&B members.

Recently scored some Chestnut honey from Calabria ,Italia...wonderful rich molasses taste,very liquid.

I dont know much about honey, but I like ones where the bees are close to orange/lemon trees. Those taste amazing. The ones I am talking about, are light in color, its not the golden brown color, its a lighter brown. Not sure what it is called, but its great

Last edited:
I like honey especially in my tea or on toast with butter. I try to bring back a couple of jars from Greece when I am there. I like the clover blossom honey.

The monthly markets just outside town is where I usually get my honey. I always get a small jar of honey sourced from either macadamia or red gum nectar. Cant beat it, and I don't know what I'll do when I leave town. Drizzled over Weet Bix is bliss

Manuka honey is popular here in Australia. We're blessed with a wide variety of honeys, even the generic bush blend is fantastic.
In this photo, a friend and I were setting up camp in a forest for a deer hunt. There were hives nearby and the apiarist just happened to turn up to check on his hives. He came over for a chat, we boiled the billy and got to talking and he offered us (I'm not sure of the correct terminology) excess comb that was cut from the frames.
Delicious to say the least and it was a treat having fresh honeycomb for dessert after tea.
If you can get Leatherwood honey from Tasmania, get it. It's a rich, dark honey with (funnily enough) a leathery taste.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Here in South Texas we have lots of citrus and a local orchard sells Orange Blossom Honey. It is the best I have ever had.

Recently happened upon Acacia honey. Very pale in color and extremely delicate in taste. I had never seen it before, very nice stuff. However I still rate Eucalyptus as #1 and North Georgia Sourwood a close second.

A great source for honey (as well as the line of Napa Shave Soap mentioned elsewhere) is here:
http://www.savannahbee.com/

They also have a B&M store on King St. in Charleston, SC.

Worth a look for certain...................

Last edited:
I wouldn't call myself a honey expert, but this is the best honey I have ever had.

$Wee-Bee-Naturally-Raw-Honey-862281000038.jpg

I use it in tea sometimes, smoothies. When I go running, I scoop about half a teaspoon and eat it before and just kind of enjoy the flavor as I roam the streets. If you find this, I highly recommend it.

After reading this thread and a few posted links, I must say thanks for the education. I had no idea about the China to Canada to USA route and lack of pollen in the honey!

I picked up some wild organic honey from India (yes - I know the lack of possible quality control regarding the "organic" claim- thanks to you guys!), but what a difference!

Someone posted about honey and butter on toast for breakfast- and I had to try it (with an eggwhite, sautéed onion, kale and spinach omelette). Some delicious food.

i am really trying to eat healthier and cleaner- and honey (better, pollinated honey) will certainly be a part of my diet- even with the sugar.

thanks for this thread and all the information my friends.

Thanks guys, now I'm jonesing for weird exotic honey from the four corners of the world! I have a local beekeeper about two miles from me and we always buy honey from him. I'd be afraid to let him know if I ordered honey from overseas, or even out of state. Beekeepers are a sensitive lot when it comes to their honey, just tell one of them that their honey is almost as good as the stuff from Walmart and see what happens.:wink2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom