What's new

D. R. Harris sandalwood (sample)?

Anyone know where to find a sample of this AS? I love sandalwood and would like to try some before I shell out $30.00 for a bottle.

Nope sorry I can't help you. But I can help you by saying you should just get it because if you even think you are a fan of Sandalwood then you will be a fan of this.

And if you get it and you don't like it then you just must not be a sandalwood fan. Simple as that.

Unfortunately, beyond emailing Harris themselves and asking, I don't think there's a way to sample it unless one of our decant maestros can get it for you. But I don't think I can agree with Knee Chee here....it is an acquired taste, even for sandalwood fans. I know sandal backwards and forewards, and this stuff, while good juice, is on the unique side. Very powdery with a woody finish and a LOT of aniseed in the topnote. Unabashedly old school. Does that sound good to you? Then take the plunge. I'm about 75% sure you'll like it.

I should also note that you shouldn't expect Mysore sandalwood. Even though the wonderful label design suggests India, the woody drydown of the AS is very reminiscent of Japanese "green" sandalwood incense, so the sandalwood in question here is likely Australian or Indonesian. Not bad by any means, just don't expect the buttery creaminess of Mysore.

Unfortunately, beyond emailing Harris themselves and asking, I don't think there's a way to sample it unless one of our decant maestros can get it for you. But I don't think I can agree with Knee Chee here....it is an acquired taste, even for sandalwood fans. I know sandal backwards and forewards, and this stuff, while good juice, is on the unique side. Very powdery with a woody finish and a LOT of aniseed in the topnote. Unabashedly old school. Does that sound good to you? Then take the plunge. I'm about 75% sure you'll like it.

See this is when I am reminded that I am no scent expert. I detect no powder, just punch.

I was definitely over zealous in my earlier sermon. I can see a lot of guys not liking scents like the Hammam Bouquet or the Taylors No. 74, but this one just seems, to me, like it would/should be unanimous. Maybe I am just confusing the scent itself with the serenely pleasant thoughts the aroma puts in my head upon its entrance of my nasal passages.

Top Bottom