What's new

Blackheads eww

Man, I hate when I get blackheads on my earlobes. :( Then there's the hairs that grow out of the tragus. Sigh. Gettin old is hell.
I use a cheap disposable in the shower to trim ear hair. Four years of wet shaving practice has helped perfect my touch. A Schick ST2 disposable, or a single blade Personna disposable work for me.

Getting old helps reduce oil and blackhead production. When I was younger I'd just squeeze them out of my nose, my forehead, and sometimes my chin. Back then I also wore a tie to work. With the stress and sometimes sweat of the workplace, there could be a buildup of sweat and oil, a.k.a. "Ring around the collar," in that tight space between neck and collar. At times I'd feel a slight irritation or itching on the side of my neck, and a check in the bathroom mirror would show one or two good sized blackheads there. Fun squeezing them out though.

Shaving around the ears is not as much fun as squeezing blackheads, but it's a manageable chore. Most everything in life is a tradeoff of one kind or another.

While it won't prevent blackheads (regular washing and healthy eating is your best bet), there is a product that does a great job removing them. It's from Biore and it's basically a type of tape that you wet, apply to the nose (they also make shapes good for the forehead, chin, etc), let it dry and when you slowly remove, it pulls all the gunk out of the blackhead. Very effective and kind of cool:

http://www.drugstore.com/biore-ultra-deep-cleansing-pore-strips/qxp92371

Funny, I just picked these up yesterday at Walgreens. Follow the directions and you be amazed at what you see on that little tape strip when you pull it off.

I lather my nose while I am shaving and it cuts down on the blackheads quite a bit. Other than that, I make a cream of baking soda, put it on a Q-Tip, and start cleaning the black heads out with that. Afterwards, I repeat with the Q-Tip, but with witch hazel instead of baking soda.

Saw this demonstrated on Youtube:

the girl put a thin layer of elmers glue on her nose, let dry about 10 min. and peeled it off removing the the blackheads.

How many times should I do the oil cleansing method before I can be sure whether or not it works for me? I've done it twice and I'm not convinced yet... although I assume it's still to early to tell. I am not sure OCM is something I can keep up with on a regular basis unless I find the time somewhere else, like by <gasp> going back to electric shaving, which is not going to happen.

I already have Clinique face soap and moisturizer, so I am thinking I might get the scruffing lotion so that I have their whole "3-step process" and try that for a couple of weeks.

I have always had a noseful of blackheads all my life, and here's what has dramatically helped just within the last 10 days.

I started wet shaving - not my nose...

I have been using Neutrogena Wace Wash in the mornings, shaving, rinsing with hot then cold water, and then using WITCH HAZEL profusely before applying my aftershave.

I think the WH and the Neutrogena are working together with the hot/cold rinse to completely flush the pores. It's been a great improvement. I also wash again before bedtime and then hit my face one more time with WH.

Try it for a week and see if it works for your skin type.

I've always had a nose full of blackheads, clean them out and they come right back.

Same here. I've just kind of accepted it. And its really not that bad anyhow. I used the oil cleansing method for quite a while and it worked fine, but didn't help my nose. I got lazy with that, but I didn't start using any soap or other cleanser in its place and everything is fine. There have been a lot of recommendations made, but if I could make one it is that less is more. Yes, there are medications, and you can get some Celaphil or whatever and wash the **** out of your face several times a day, but your just going to wreck your skin, leaving it susceptible to more bacteria. I've had horrible skin all my life and now I just wash my face with water a couple times a day (with the exception of shave soap) and I'm convinced that at least for me, that is the best solution.

Top Bottom