What's new

Gillette slim adjustable Black Beauty, compared with a Parker 96R

As I was posting this in another thread, I figured that since I've yet to see these two razors compared next to each other, or exposed in details, I should make this as a stand alone thread.

As far as I can tell, the Parker 96R is a very close descendant of the Gillette, as the similarities are very easy to see.

The description

It terms or quality, both appear to be made using very similar metals and quality. I know that the Gillette is from the early 70s, so it's already passed the test of time, but the Parker has the same feel, that my grand-kids (and so on) will probably end up using it as well.

Both weight about the same, both have great grip, but the Parker feels better. (no chance of slipping) Length of handle, the Gillette is short of 3 inches, the Parker, short of 4 inches. To open doors, Gillette is at the bottom (as top is the adjustable clicker), the Parker at the top.

Both are smooth and have a solid final turn to lock the doors/blade. The guards are virtually identical, and the curve is a little more pronounced on the Gillette, but just by a tad, which means the angle is a bit more square. This causes the blade to be more pronounced (sticks out more) on the Gillette (close to 1mm), which I find makes it more aggressive at "9" than the Parker.

The fact that the doors of the Parker and the guard barely lets any exposed blade (just the edge itself at about 0.5mm) means that as you slide the razor, as long as you have the right angle, you'll have the guard and the door on your skin at all times, and the blade cutting the whispers are they pass through.

The shaves

Considering that I used to rip my face apart with every cartridge I've ever used, and every electric razor (the pull of skin into those rotating or vibrating blades as I'd feel it slide a chunk of skin, always made me fear them). So after over 25 years of shaving, I'd shave less and less, as it was a hardship.

I gather than with a very sensitive skin, I also have growth that is fairly thick hairs, or at least, goes from thin to thick in various areas, and the growth's direction is very erratic, making it a difficult shave.

Another quick note is that what decided me to go DE, is that I had a Schick cartridge with the single blade on the back for precision, which I ended using for my whole face, as I found it easier and better (no clogging between the multiple tiny wiry blades and I could actually see what I was cutting).

Parker 96R
I'll admit that the Parker is my first DE razor and it's been reliable, and I haven't nicked myself with it. with proper lather, it glides very well, to the point that with a wet face (after a standard 3-4 pass), I can easily do my final touch ups with only the wetness and residue slick from the lather (but mostly only water). The fact that the blade barely sticks out, with only the edge, gives me confidence to do detailed work.

Gillette
I got it because, like most of us, we want a "classic" in our collection. But more important to me, after reading about how aggressive the Parker are supposed to be, that I didn't find any problems with using mine, I wanted to explore what mild to aggressive was like.... and what better way than filling two things with one (a classic, and an adjustable).

Turned out that I was finding that the mild was barely doing anything, so I kept clicking it up and found myself at 9 before I felt that I was actually accomplishing something, where I could control my angle and feel the blade working for me instead of me working to make it work.

Results
Between the two, due to the blade extending out more with the Gillette, I found that the shave I get with the Gillette is more aggressive, but not due to the gap between the blade and guard, but due to the blade being more exposed and the gap between the edge and the head of the razor, as opposed to the Parker where the "aggressiveness" is the gap between the edge and the guard only, making the blade more secure and making the glide better.

So to me, while the Gillette is a fine razor, I find that the smoothness of the Parker makes it a better shave. The gap issues makes the difference between feeling some pulling with the Gillette, the blade being more exposed reminds me of guitar strings being pulled whenever the blade doesn't slice the hair perfectly (due to blade starting to lose it's edge, or the hair's angle), something that the Parker is much more forgiving with.

So I would say that my conclusion is that both are very well built, the material for both feels study, the built solid, and very similar in look and feel.

My preference is the Parker for two main things: the longer handle and the smoothness (lack of gap on top).

And now, the pictures.

full

The gap can be seen here quite well, the Gillette set at 9. But as mentioned, while the gap is the same, the exposed blade is about double for the Gillette, making the top gap (blade and door) much larger.

full

Very similar in built, with the added parts for the adjustable, making it a bigger head, but the actual bases are virtually identical.

full

A good view of how they really could be father and son.

full

The Gillette is from the early 70s, so there is a bit of tarnishing. But you can see the difference is the amount of blade that sticks out, and that the angle, due to the rounder doors on the Gillette causes the higher aggresivity.

full

A good view of the handles, length and patterns.

full

At another angle so to see the bottom of the head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say the Parker is a descendant as much as a knock off. The similarities in styling a certainly not accidental. I'm glad it'sgiving you great shaves, sounds like it's a fairly mild razor. I'd give the Gillette another go in a month or so, you might be surprised. Then again if you've got sensitive skin, a mild razor may be just what the dermatologist ordered.

Very nice write up...thanks!

I just ordered a Black Beauty in the original case (LOVE that case)...I may have to try the Parker as well.

I wouldn't say the Parker is a descendant as much as a knock off. The similarities in styling a certainly not accidental. I'm glad it'sgiving you great shaves, sounds like it's a fairly mild razor. I'd give the Gillette another go in a month or so, you might be surprised. Then again if you've got sensitive skin, a mild razor may be just what the dermatologist ordered.

I used "Descendant" loosely since Gillette not longer make DE, this is as close as a clone (or knock-off if you prefer) can be, where the style and quality is maintained.

I'd say that if Gillette still made them, this model (the 96R) could easily be from them... I could see that if Gillette wanted to go back into making DE, they could easily go and buy Parker's line (hypothetical) and people would not think twice about it. If anything, just the name change, I'd seriously believe that many would consider them on par as the other high brands as I find the Parkers get a bad rap in here simply because of their name. Quality wise, I now have two Parkers and they are very well built.

In most threads, most that actually use a Parker, mention that they enjoy it fine and it's part of their rotation, while others, the simple mention of Parker equals a put down.

As far as trying the Gillette after a month... I've been using it for months, I try to use it for 1/3 of my shaves, and as I stated, I enjoy it, but it's simply not as comfortable as my Parker, and the longer handle of my Parker really makes it better to use as it offers better control.

So as far as mildness... I can't really tell, I compare the Parker to my Gillette and compare the gaps... it's mostly other members that state that the Parkers are aggressive.

and the longer handle of my Parker really makes it better to use as it offers better control..

I find exactly the opposite with regards to handle length. I much prefer a shorter handle of around 3". For me it feels a lot more precise to grip the razor near er the head like one would a writing implement or a scalpel. sometimes the tip rests in my palm, and in those cases a handle of more than 3.5" just gets in the way. Not that I can't use a longer handle, but the 3.25" feels pretty much ideal in my hands.

Last edited:
I see that you using a quite different technique then... I tend to hold mine from further down and let the razor, it's weight and gravity provide the pressure, and as mentioned, I've yet to nick myself. As far as precision goes, I tend to roll the razor backwards (similar to the buffing method) to do the edge of my beard.

I've found that the extra length has always been better for me to find the correct pressure.

It's interesting how technique differ from one to another but it does come down to "as long as it works for you", there's just no simple "better" technique.

Nice review. I actually didn't realize Parker had an adjustable... that might be one I have to try out at some point.

I just bought a Parker 96R and have yet to use it. I began shaving at the age of 13 in 1968 with a Gillette "El Presidente" given to me by my father. (I wish that I still had it).

I look forward to using the Parker 96R in good health.

Top Bottom