Thread: Restored Brush for Wounded Warrior....Pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Default Restored Brush for Wounded Warrior....Pics

Hi guys. After a lengthy hospital stay a while back I decided to get involved in some projects with local Wounded Warriors to try to bring a little extra joy to their lives. I found a few of them to be beginner wet shavers, or wet shavers using very basic gear due to lack of funds, so I thought I would put together some packages for a few of them.

Doing most of this out of my own pocket, I decided it would be better to restore vintage brushes with TGN knots than it would to try and buy several new Rooneys. After having a few of these outstanding young men and their families over for dinner a few times, and letting them look at all of my shave gear, they all seemed to really like the vintage "Barber's Handle" style brushes. So, I set out to find a few to restore.

The one pictured in this thread is a brush I found in really bad shape at an antique store, and spent a very long time first fixing, and then restoring the handle itself, and then setting the knot. It is an AnchOrset made in Hardright, USA that I chose to set a TGN 24mm Finest XH two band in at a loft height of 50mm. I am a terrible photographer, so you probably can't tell in the pictures, but this brush turned out fantastic, and it's new owner is really enjoying it as we speak.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank B&B's very own hig789 for donating a brush handle to this cause out of the kindness of his own heart. These "Barber's Handle" style brushes/handles have proven difficult for me to come by in decent shape, and when I contacted him to ask if he knew of anybody who might have some for sale, he pulled a very nice Century #4 brush handle off of an eBay auction and insisted on donating it. Look for a write up on that brush soon!

I will be putting together more brushes and some restored straights, and DE razors as well as entire shave kits including soaps, creams, balms, etc.., as I get them together, and if y'all are interested I will post pics of the completed kits. Also, I would like to say thanks to B&B for all of it's members and vendors for all of the help, knowledge, and generosity provided here. It makes doing things like this a lot easier when you need a question answered. Now for the good part.....Pics!!!!

Pre-Bloom

Pre-Bloom

Post-Bloom shot after I test lathered it the first time....

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Images

Fantastic idea, I wish you the best of luck. Might it be an idea to ask if TGN will do a discount as these brushes are going to a good cause?
    Till - Steward in the Brown Leaf
    Check out B&B's Video Library and our Youtube Channel
    Donations Needed for the 6th Annual Saint Sue Moore Auction
    Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great idea!

Do you have any "before" pics of this brush?
    My mileage doesn't vary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That brush looks amazing. Nice job on the restore. I can't wait to see what you do with the Century.
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by willwhatyoudo View Post
    Great idea!

Do you have any "before" pics of this brush?
    I will look and see if I have some before pics that I can post up.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Look for more restores in the future.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank-you for helping our wounded!
    God loves you so much, that he made you read this, just to let you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fantastic restore, great cause too.