What's new

Any Savile Row fans in here?

Thanks for posting the youtube link. Rather enjoying those BBC Savile Row episodes. Hopefully one day, I will scratch enough together to buy a Saville Row suit!

So haven't been around lately, been slammed this spring summer with work (bummer!). Got into DC last week for fitting on a new 3 piece which I am totally stoked with.

How is everyone else making out? Any good acquisitions?

Graham, Who did you meet with in DC? I was able to swing by last week to order a bespoke shirt from Henry Poole when they were in DC. Initial impression was that they were very approachable and definitely a tailor I can see myself going back to in the future. This will be my first bespoke shirt and think I may do a suit in the next year. Hopefully the Poole shirt will turn out well so I can start building my bespoke wardrobe up.

With Poole, they are my guys. What time were you there? I popped by at 1130. I can't recommend them enough, Simon and Alex are great guys, very approachable and knowledgeable, haven't steered me wrong yet.

I had a G&H suit years ago. I make it to HKG several times a year on business, I get all my suits and shirts made there (and have done for about a decade).

I had a G&H suit years ago. I make it to HKG several times a year on business, I get all my suits and shirts made there (and have done for about a decade).

I do HKG for shirts, love it. Can't wait to get back this year (Sept).

I contribute to one blog as a travel writer and on some food/drink and what I don't really call fashion, but menswear really. Just started a series on Hong Kong tailors. Article here. Gonna start a straight razor review also!

Last edited:
Graham, I just missed you. I was there from 10:30 - 11:00. I am looking forward to receiving the shirt and hopefully will meet up with them again on their next go around through DC in early October. I'll post pics when I receive the shirt.

Gonna head up next week to see the boys and start a suit. Torn between a light gray and a mid gray. Don't have either so far. What does the peanut gallery vote?

I feel like a mid gray and some horn rimmed sunglasses and I could go all Barry Goldwater on you guys.

$220px-Barry_Goldwater_photo1962.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Savile Row tailor Thomas Mahon has a cool blog - here's his top ten list: http://www.englishcut.com/topten/
It doesn't get updated much, but it's an interesting look inside the industry. He was head cutter at Anderson & Sheppard before going out on his own. What these folks do is nearly a dying art, but Mr. Mahon is attempting to take on young apprentices and keep the trade alive. He also visits the US a few times a year - if you've got the cash you can arrange an appointment and begin the bespoke process. Two piece suits start at about $3600 - one of a kind, all hand made, just for you.

---------T_M

I love this thread...lots of great info. Would love to visit a fitting to see the process? I've begun wearing more sports coats since the office has gone business casual.

Last week, I received an invitation to go to the Italian Embassy for a party in a couple weeks that's black tie optional. Would love to wear a tux but will have to opt for the navy suit, white shirt and silver/grey tie. Would a charcoal flannel suit, white shirt and navy tie or prince of wales black/white bow tie more be appropriate?

Gonna head up next week to see the boys and start a suit. Torn between a light gray and a mid gray. Don't have either so far. What does the peanut gallery vote?

I feel like a mid gray and some horn rimmed sunglasses and I could go all Barry Goldwater on you guys.

View attachment 315456

I really like a light grey prince of wales with a brown or blue.

$9900-grey-prince-of-wales-check-with-blue-window-pane-medium-weight-suit-cloth-35-p.gif

$prince-of-wales-check-two-piece-suit-721530-700067_image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Savile Row tailor Thomas Mahon has a cool blog - here's his top ten list: http://www.englishcut.com/topten/
It doesn't get updated much, but it's an interesting look inside the industry. He was head cutter at Anderson & Sheppard before going out on his own. What these folks do is nearly a dying art, but Mr. Mahon is attempting to take on young apprentices and keep the trade alive. He also visits the US a few times a year - if you've got the cash you can arrange an appointment and begin the bespoke process. Two piece suits start at about $3600 - one of a kind, all hand made, just for you.

---------T_M

Mahon is certainly good. A lot of the A&S expatriates are actually pretty awesome in all honesty. The biggest issue seems to be with A&S themselves these days unfortunately. They seem to be trading off the name and have turned out some pretty bad stuff lately, which is a shame. Not to say you can't get some good pieces there, but it seems a bit hit and miss.

I love this thread...lots of great info. Would love to visit a fitting to see the process? I've begun wearing more sports coats since the office has gone business casual.

I would be happy to have you come see what it's all about if you can make the schedule work. I will be back to DC in June for a basted fitting if that works for you, or in the fall. They make 3 visits to DC a year, so I always try and get there.

I really like a light grey prince of wales with a brown or blue.

I have never been huge on princes of wales checks, but i am actually coming around a bit. The blue overcheck in that is pretty good looking I have to say.

Last week, I received an invitation to go to the Italian Embassy for a party in a couple weeks that's black tie optional. Would love to wear a tux but will have to opt for the navy suit, white shirt and silver/grey tie. Would a charcoal flannel suit, white shirt and navy tie or prince of wales black/white bow tie more be appropriate?

Almost forgot second half. Personally, I would go navy suit combo. To me it checks just as many conservative boxes as the charcoal, but in a more aesthetically pleasing manner. I have trouble with white bow ties in anything other than a white tie setting, but that is just me.

Another option if you have it is a dark navy grenadine tie with the navy suit/white shirt. I particularly like that when I go subdued.

Thanks Graham, I would love to come see a fitting. After looking at the dates, I could make the June visit and have something made during their Oct. visit, which is my birthday. I would begin with a sportcoat.

You're correct about the navy suit, its solid with a slight herringbone pattern. I have several solid navy ties and but ordered a solid midnight blue grenadine garza grossa from Sam Hober last week like the one in the pic. I hope it makes it in time.

$Midnight Blue Grossa.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Graham, I would love to come see a fitting. After looking at the dates, I could make the June visit and have something made during their Oct. visit, which is my birthday. I would begin with a sportcoat.

You're correct about the navy suit, its solid with a slight herribone pattern. I have several solid navy ties and but ordered a solid midnight navy grenadine grossa from Sam Hober last week. I hope it makes it in time.

Here's a nice light grey suit. Love light grey and light brown for spring.

Great, will be in touch.

I dig Drapers material there, but Sterling's got the better cut. Well, more the cut I go for anyway! Not a fan of the swelled lapel edge though.

My daughter lives in London, and have thought about going to Savile Row every time we go over for a visit. The problem is, it cost me around $5,000 every time my wife and I go over there. I don't know if spending another $3,000 for a suit while there would sit to well with my wife, as much as I would love to do so. I just may tell her I am seriously thinking about, just to get her to stop complaining about how much I spend on shaving stuff! lol

Top Bottom