What's new

My Wife is a Potter. This is Her Second Attempt @ a Scuttle. Comments appreciated.

wow, i'm surprised at your comments regarding the Dirty Bird being over priced :confused1

The GT G5 is $45 and the DB 1.0 is $42. i'd take a DB any day of the week over a GT. from what i understand, the GT is not handthrown or clay or something. it's a different process and not nearly the quality of true pottery (sorry, my terminology may be way way off). the RB is cheaper, because again it is not a pottery item, it's molded and/or not made in the same process and would not be nearly the same heft and build quality as the DB.

to me the Dirty Bird is the best bang for the buck. proven quality, proven reputation, reputable potter (julie) and price is way below some others, and less then GT.

as for the Bonneyman, yes they are just way out there for pricing, but that's us Canadians for you :001_tt2:

bottom line, they will all keep your lather warm, look nice and it's whatever floats your boat and which you like the aesthetics of the most.

Hey my friend,

You're right about the DB. The 1.0 isn't priced too bad. It's middle of the road on pricing, and as you said that's for hand thrown pottery. I think I was stuck on the 1.5 version being $54, which is getting up there again. And when you compare size vs. cost, it's twice the cost Becker charges for the same size. To get that size with Bonneyman, she offers the Texan at $120! Good Lord! So you're right, DB is not the cheapest, but not as overpriced as I made it sound.

But for my budget, the pricing really matters, and there are serious variations here. I'm with you that I won't consider the G5 in that there's something about it's construction thats less appealing, and guys around here don't rate them as high. To me, they look too precision made, which is likely akin to what you said about their construction. Now as far as RB goes, I know he hand makes them, but I'm no potter so I honestly don't know how. I know this from my emails with him, and in the back and forth we shared about what he could do custom with mine. He may construct them as Songwind said, but thats ok by me. I chose hime because they look great, guys around here have nothing but good to say about them, and they are very affordable. That works for me!

I contacted Robert becker when i was debating what scuttle to get. I emailed him and specifically asked him if his scuttles were "hand thrown" and he responded NO. at that time I didn't even know what hand thrown pottery really was, i had just heard that hand thrown is the way to go.

RBs are slip cast, as opposed to hand thrown :smile:

I had to look that up Kent, but thanks for that! It seems to me though the Robert still applies some hand processes though in the final creation. The bowl webbing, handle choice, maybe even in assembly of say the bowl and reservoir. I've seen many a pic of his scuttles, and there's definitely hand worked imperfection there.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
True. But i think all the imperfection you see was in his original item he took the casting from. Only reason for my opinion is all his scuttles of the same model look virtually identical.

In any event I own one with the reservoir in the front, and I LOVE it :smile:.

Eric,

I took some pictures of the different styles / glazes that my mother in law has. Before requesting a scuttle and going through the design process, I didn't truly appreciate what it takes to do all the different techniques. Your wife has probably seen all this before but thought I'd put up some examples of the variation. A lot of it includes painting with glazes and carvings.

Cheers,
Jeff

$Pottery examples .jpg$Pottery examples -001.jpg$Pottery examples -002.jpg$Pottery examples -003.jpg$Pottery examples -004.jpg

The rule in the house is that if another piece of pottery comes in, one has to go out. I guess we could have worse problems.
The black plate below is a Japanese Timoku glaze, which I've requested for my scuttle. One of my favorites is the blue crystalline glaze.

$Pottery examples -005.jpg$Pottery examples -006.jpg$Pottery examples -009.jpg$Pottery examples -010.jpg

Mrs. Wind finished her first one-piece scuttle as well
$1piecescuttle.jpg

Attachments

• $1piecescuttle.jpg
    $1piecescuttle.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 106
I like that it's not too big and gaudy. I prefer that. Looks cool. I am not a scuttle user but would probably look at these. Diggin' them, man. Nice work to the Mrs.

Let me know if she'll make me one. I love it. I'd like the handle flattened a bit ... so as to hold with one hand and brush in another occasionally. Beautiful work!

Very Nice! So, will Mrs. Wind be acquiring a Hobbyist or Vendor account any time soon?:shifty:
That's the plan. Probably after I get paid again, depending on how busy she ends up being after our initial listing on another site.

Let me know if she'll make me one. I love it. I'd like the handle flattened a bit ... so as to hold with one hand and brush in another occasionally. Beautiful work!

Actually, the arched handle gives you good leverage with your thumb for holding the scuttle upright and still.

Liking the one piece scuttle by Mrs Wind!

Would she be able to do a circular snout, so we could use a stopper to retain the heat of the water?

Top Bottom