What's new

alternative photography

I enjoy shooting infrared. I have a modified Nikon D200 and in the past had a modified D100 and prior to that a Coolpix w/ an IR filter. Here's a couple of examples:

I've thought of trying out some ir film and renting a filter since it is such a different look but I simply havent gotten around to it.
I like film cameras, specifically larger format ones, because it forces you to slow down and actually compose your perfect shot instead of just snapping as many as you can and hoping a few come out. With the price of 4x5 film you know your picture will look how you want it to because you're forced to slow down and do it correctly. I notice that when I take out my digital after a film shoot I produce better results as my mind is still in slower technique mode and not in a digital bracketing mode where you can afford to go more quickly and produce decent results.
My girlfriend, the ballerina in the photos, focuses mainly on her technique in ballet in order to produce the movements correctly they way they should be done. I notice that when I focus my photography around proper technique and not just looking for a good shot, I produce much better results. Doing some of these old fashion photography processes allows me to take my digital photos and turn them into something that I can look at and know a certain level of work and skill was used to produce.
With dslr's everywhere today and society's need for instant gratification, so many people think that just because they bought a somewhat expensive camera they are a photographer and can charge rates near what professionals charge for photo shoots. While thier work is not near the quality of someone who knows how to use their camera properly, the ametuer will get lucky and have a decent photo or two in there and give the customer their photos instantly thus satisfying the need for instant results. When I am set up in front of a stage photographing a ballet outdoors and someone comes up next to me with their camera and proceeds to take photos and I can tell they really dont know what they are doing I offer them some advice on how to get a better shot and give them a very quick rundown on how to meter the stage so they can get detail in the tutus while still maintaining detail elsewhere so they can get a decent shot. I enjoy teaching others about how to take their camera off of auto and showing them a little about aperture and exposure. What really bugs me though is when the person then turns to me at the end of the show and asks how they can get it contact with the studio because they think they have some really good shots they can sell them. Being polite I gave him the info but also made known to him that I was the studio photographer but he was welcome to try to share his photos with the studio. It goes without saying though that a dance studio is obviously into the arts and knows quality when they see it, so without thought they told him they were not interested. Right now the first picture i posted, ballerina with the moon behind her, is the current image being used to promote their next show happening in the next two weeks. They have a nice digital image being used and the palladium I posted is my own copy while they have a palladium I prefer the look of on loan to them for display during the show, so you'll understand why I didnt post photos of work that is potentially for sell.
With things like cyanotypes, while not for everyone, I find that people are willing to spend just a little bit of money for something so unique that many of their friends have never seen or heard of before. While still in school right now I try not to take many photography jobs but I dont mind taking an occasional job to turn someones favorite photo into a cyanotype. I take photos and do alternative processes for my enjoyment and not to make a living out of it. Eventually here I will gather together some of my favorite photos and put on a show as one of my photo professors kindly told me I should do. Its a great hobby that takes as much time as I choose to put into it and something that helps me relax from studying and work. While I am not a professional photographer by any means I do have a minor in photography and it is a great hobby of mine, so I do know a little bit of what Im doing but I'm always trying to learn a bit more as there is plenty I dont know. Everyone has their creative outlet in something, mine happens to be this.
I have been playing around with lighting and long exposures lately and have been having fun with that. Since the only time I can get out recently to photograph anything has been at night I'm playing with popping strobes at different things at different times through exposure to get some pretty interesting effects. Ghost figures, my buddy punching his double, ballet in motion as well as freeze frame step by step of her jumping arcoss the image by popping multiple flashes. I know I can easily do these things in photoshop and make them look better but to be able to do it on the original image without manipulation is much more satisfying to me plus it really confuses people when they see an image and you tell them you didnt photoshop it at all. My friends all love doing simple things like writing their name in light and then standing beside or under it in a photo, its fun both for them and me.
I realize this post is all over the place in thoughts but I'm bored at work with only 12 people to check into my hotel tonight so I typed this in between guests and calls; that would help to explain random sudden changes in thought.

Valleyrider, I'd be interested to read a critique of two similar shots, one "lucky amateur" and one "skilled professional". At the moment I have a handful of shots I am very proud of, though I've no doubt yourself, Legion and many other members could have done better in the same time & place. As a guitarist of many years, it's a frequent occurence to hear non-musicians going on about how this guy or that guy is "a really great guitarist", when what they actually mean is "I really like this song".

The problem I'm noticing at the moment is overexposed skies. I see it cropping up and have started experimenting with the AE lock button- not enough for it to be second nature at the moment. But apart from these obvious things, what are some others?

Legion

Staff member
Why skies look over exposed on B&W film (and, as it turns out, digital) is because the sensitised material is more sensitive to the blue end of the spectrum than the red.

When you see those B&W shots with the dramatic dark sky (think Ansel Adams) it is because the picture was photographed through a red filter. That blocked the blue light, let through the red, and the blue skies go dark. You can get a less dramatic effect with an orange filter, and even more subtle with yellow.

You may also want to invest in a circular polarising filter, which can have a similar effect, and will also work in colour.

Thanks!
I think there's something in my manual about only using straight or never using straight ones. Can't remember, but I'll dig it out and have a go at some point.
I'm all excited about getting my compact, hopefully tomorrow,so this will be my minor obsession for the next few weeks I'm sure, out annoying everyone.
Whichever one it is. (STILL haven't decided but thank God for www.dpreview.com!)

Legion

Staff member
By straight ones I'm guessing you mean linear polarisers? Yeah, they will still work fine, but for reasons that are too complicated to go into here, they will mess with your autofocus.

Top Bottom