What's new

Nice sheets!

I hope this isn't too far afield for the Haberdashery, but I recently picked up a cheap set of sheets, and after one night sandwiched in their scratchy embrace I decided to look for some better ones. The set I picked up is fuzzy-rough. If you've ever had dry, calloused, cracked hands and rubbed them across a T-shirt, it feels kind of like that, but a whole-body experience. Anyway, I'm not looking for the best of the best, just a decent set of comfortable sheets. Any brand or vendor recommendations?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Dunno brands, but I'd say look for 100% cotton (of course) and a thread count of at least 400.

I'm a big fan of "jersey knit" sheets. Not the most luxurious, but nice and soft and good for year-'round.

I did a little research online, and it sounds like the "finish", or lack thereof, may be the issue with the ones I bought.
Incidentally, I had some jersey-knit sheets in the past, and liked them ok, but I prefer the "regular" kind :)

Hit up one of the nice department stores at the mall when they have their "whites" sale. You can get some really nice high end sheets for Walmart prices. They sometimes also have last years colors or incomplete sets real cheap as well.

Frette would of course be the best - for a price - personally I can think of other things to drop 500 bucks on. Any good department store should be able to fit the bill for you though. Just a piece of advice - get white sheets and keep them clean - your more likely to have someone join you there.

L.L. Bean 280-Thread-Count Pima Cotton Percale Sheet

I like these because I prefer a "crisp" rather than ultra soft sheet.

or Thomas Lee 500 thread count Sheets for the same reason.

My wife puts flannel on in the winter and cotton in the summer and i think the thread count is very important the higher the better.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Dunno brands, but I'd say look for 100% cotton (of course) and a thread count of at least 400.

Took the words right out of my mouth. (Or fingers, as the case may be.)

I usually look for genuine Egyptian Cotton in at least a 400 thread count.

Last year my wife purchased some 800 thread count sheets, and now I'm spoiled...they're very nice. I won't sleep on less than that now, unless of course I'm traveling and staying at a hotel.

They have surprisingly good stuff at Target if you are cost conscious.
The good deal can be had at TJ Maxx as well.
Costco (great deal on pillows) usually has a good offering as well.

In the higher end stuff it isn't all about thread count, good 240-400 count sheets are far superior to bargain 400 or higher count. Quality of the cotton really matters. You have to pay for real Egyptian or Sea Island.

No blends. 100% cotton only.

Last year my wife purchased some 800 thread count sheets, and now I'm spoiled...they're very nice. I won't sleep on less than that now, unless of course I'm traveling and staying at a hotel.

Happily 800 is the line for us too. We watch for sales and closings otherwise you can drop a lot of money on good sheets.

I'm going to have to go with Cohiba on this one. Last summer while I was out to sea my wife bought some. At first i was upset because we had very nice sheets already, but then I laid on them and my tune changed. Go for the Ralph Lauren if you can afford it or if you can find them on sale. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom