What's new

Question about Maestro Livi razors

Custom art razors have a monitary value that is determined by consumer demand. Even an expensive custom razor may not be unreasonable in price if the time and material cost to its maker is high. If I could afford such a razor, I would be reluctant to use it fearing that inevitable normal wear would marr a work of art and depress considerable cash value.

There are a number of ways to "value" custom razors; the quality of the achieved shave, the quality of the shaving experience itself, and the aesthetic of using a beautiful tool. All three factors can come into play simultaneously when personally valuing a razor. I have a Friodur 7/8 Spanish Point with custom G10 scales from a well known restorer who also makes razors. It is beautiful to behold and a pleasure to use but does not shave any closer than several vintage commercial products. I hope in the future to try a full custom razor that is close to pristine, but exhibits a small amount of normal wear so I would not feel that I was devaluing a work of art. I still might feel some dissapointment if the custom razor did not shave at least as well as my more mundane razors.

Last edited:
I have several Livi razors and here is my take...

First off there are two different Livi razors

1) Livi regrinds, which were old blanks that he reground and put scales on. Depending on the market they range at about $300 US
2) Livi originals

Now these are cut from steel by him and produced start to finish by Livi. These can run from $600-1500 depending on the type of steel and scale material. They are nice razors, but in all honesty they are probably way overpriced. In all honesty, I think most straight razors today are a tad expensive in the "custom" realm. Im sure you will see the general statement of "a dovo will shave just as well" but then again, these are usually one of a kind razors. I do have to say that for the price point, they could be finished a bit better than they are. I have razors that still have grinding marks on the blade, and then patterned damascus has hone wear straight from the factory. Livi probably is not as neurotic with blades as we are, such as using tape, but when your dropping a couple of hundred you would want the blade to be perfect.

That is just my .02

Pretty much my .02 cents as well. I'd add that any Livi needs to be carefully inspected for fit and finish problems. On occasion, calling his file work sloppy is generous. Also, the regrinds are some of my favorite shaving razors in any price range. They take a delightful edge.

I dont know if he has a double-wheel grinder or not. But on his DVD (used to come with his razors) he grinds a full hollow for Lynn Abrams with a single-wheel grinder.

I've been looking at quite a few videos of Livi making razors. I'm not sure what you guys are referring to when speaking of a "double grinder". I've seen him use many different single belt/stone grinders in his shop, all freehand. Compared to the other videos I've seen of razors being made this is extremely impressive. Everyone else uses some sort of blocking system to hold the razor in place while grinding.

I've been looking at quite a few videos of Livi making razors. I'm not sure what you guys are referring to when speaking of a "double grinder". I've seen him use many different single belt/stone grinders in his shop, all freehand. Compared to the other videos I've seen of razors being made this is extremely impressive. Everyone else uses some sort of blocking system to hold the razor in place while grinding.

i think a double grinder is this or a variation of this..

proxy.php

It's actually not insanely difficult to freehand (actually it is properly called offhand) grind a razor IF you have a good amount of practice at offhand grinding. Full hollow isn't really any more difficult, you just need to use smaller wheels after you finish with the larger ones. Here's one I just did from a solid piece of high speed steel (yes, offhand grinding - no fixtures of any sort - my hands and a BENCH GRINDER). And please don't bash my wedge - it's a quickie temp wedge because I didn't have anything worthwhile to put in and I really wanted to shave with the razor!

View attachment 639864

View attachment 639865

Some rough out blanks with a jig or fixture. Some may use only a tool rest but..
I would say the majority of custom razor makers free hand the final grind.

I use a tool rest to rough out the razor shape (mostly because it's at a high rpm to remove it quickly) but after heating treating everything is done free hand.

It's actually not insanely difficult to freehand (actually it is properly called offhand) grind a razor IF you have a good amount of practice at offhand grinding. Full hollow isn't really any more difficult, you just need to use smaller wheels after you finish with the larger ones. Here's one I just did from a solid piece of high speed steel (yes, offhand grinding - no fixtures of any sort - my hands and a BENCH GRINDER). And please don't bash my wedge - it's a quickie temp wedge because I didn't have anything worthwhile to put in and I really wanted to shave with the razor!

View attachment 639864

View attachment 639865

That's awesome work man!

Thanks! It turned out really nice. Especially considering it was the first attempt I ever made at my own razor! I'm quite smitten with it, haha!

Mastro Livi is enjoying a successful business development abroad more than in his homeland.

Marketing, good communication skills and the Italian touch made him famous but I know more than one owner not happy with what turned to be a very expensive average razor.

My 2cts ....

Mastro Livi is enjoying a successful business development abroad more than in his homeland.

Marketing, good communication skills and the Italian touch made him famous but I know more than one owner not happy with what turned to be a very expensive average razor.

My 2cts ....

That's a good point. I've seen other references to unhappy Livi customers so I'm trying to gauge how much stock to put in the criticism. Is there really an issue there or is this just the general dissatisfaction of any customer base? Most complaints I see are regarding the finish/polish and the fit (I assume they mean the fit of the razor inside the scales).

You really did do an admirable job on that razor. Very nice execution of an idea with what you had at hand. What wheel(s) did you use? Even more impressive if that was common silicon carbide (since I'm used to doing 10" hollows on a rubber tire).

View attachment 639864

View attachment 639865

Thanks! It was actually an aluminum oxide wheel on the bench grinder - 36 grit, 7" diameter. It was some work, that's for sure.

Top Bottom