What's new

Review - Caswell Massey Tricorn....

P1010017.JPG

P1010019.JPG

Comes in decent box and glass atomizer. Personally I think they look/feel a bit cheap - certainly is not as classy as a bottle of trumpers, floris, penhaligons, Pecksniffs, etc.

It does have a neat little Caswell Massey logo/imprint on the top of the cap which is a nice little touch....
P1010023.JPG

The cap feels kinda cheap and tight - and will occasionally pull off the "sheath" like apparatus under the actual atomizer - but cest la vie - the important thing is the scent...
Lets turn it towards us and enjoy a spritz :biggrin:
P1010024.JPG

Well to be honest - I didn't like the stuff when I sprayed it on. It just didn't do it for me - had a very "butterscotch" like sandalwood/woodsy/spicy kind of scent to it - very original - but not really my thing. I shruged and took off to work - then school. Throughout the day I would get whiff after whiff of this cologne, and I started to like it..... then I started to LOVE it. I am not sure why - as I have never had such an incredibly abrupt 180 degree turn, but man o man did this stuff grow on me quick. For under $30 - this cologne is superb - really one heck of a value buy - and has ALL day staying power. Due to the price - the packaging/bottle is excusable, and I plan on purchasing more colognes from their line in the future. Wonderful stuff - no wonder Cole Porter loved it!

Joel, I sampled this EDT before and did not like it but that was a few years ago. Did you get any comments from your co-workers?

Austin said:
Joel, I sampled this EDT before and did not like it but that was a few years ago. Did you get any comments from your co-workers?

No comments from co-workers, but a very good looking co-ed in one of my classes asked about it!

I just ordered a bottle of Tricorn from Knox Cigar. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ah - ordering pipe tobacco and cologne at once - Nirvana. :smile:

Joel,
I picked up a sample EDT and agree it has a very sweet scent - much more than I normally would use. How would you describe the base note?

Well, my bottle of Tricorn got here, and let me tell you I am in a position to try it out.... You are correct about the cap. It was so tight that the first time I pulled it off, the whole piece under it came off. Very annoying. A few minutes later, I went for another sniff. This time I thought I would be clever and try twisting the cap off since it was so tight. Bad move. The entire top unscrews! It surprised me so much that I dropped the now open bottle. I ended up spilling about a third of the brand new bottle all over myself! What a freakin' joke. :a48:

My family had to abandon the area because of my stench - it was quite a scene I can tell you....

As for the scent, I agree with you. The first sniff is not inspiring. The dry down is very nice, though. Toasty, butterscotchy, and warm. Interestingly, if you smell it close to your skin, i.e. put your nose right up against it, it is quite sharp and not very nice. The waft you get for normal distance, though, is very nice indeed. I will wear it tomorrow in a more normal fashion and report back.

A man after my own heart.

I had a similar experience. At first I didn't know what to make of Tricorn, but it really grew on me. Now, it's the only scent I wear.

I like Tricorn alright, but I prefer Jockey Club, which I use as one of my regular scents. Casswell-Massey sells a sampler box of men's colognes for about $20, which I would recommend everyone check out who hasn't tried them. It contains Tricorn, Jockey Club, Greenbrier, Number Six, and Newport. Alas, neither Aura of Patchouli, nor Verbena, nor Lime is included. They've discontinued their odd Persian Leather scent, which I kinda liked in an strange sort of way.

This cologne is one that I tried very much so to like, given the history of the manufacturer. Tricorn made me smell like my grandmother!:eek:

This has been one of those scents in my personal "must have" category for more than 20 years. For me it's a great fall and winter scent. It somehow reminds me of the aroma of minced meat pie. Some of you may want to try the Tricorn after shave lotion (alcohol-based) as a cologne. Same scent with a bit less staying power and a bit cheaper. Also, for those of us with moderately dry to dry skin on our faces, the Tricorn Shave Balm (alcohol-free) is a fine product, if you like the Tricorn scent. Its scent is very, very close to the cologne and has some staying power The product is a rather thick, heavy lotion which soothes razor burn rather well and provides a high level of moisturization. As with many "thick" balms, it won't be absorbed by the face as rapidly as will some of the "thinner" balms. I wouldn't recommend it for use during warm weather or for men with oily skins.

nelson

M

modern man

Joel,

I love the smell and have tried the After Shave (burns like hell) Is the Cologne the same scent. (I know sometimes its not like Speick).

Thanks

Joel,

I love the smell and have tried the After Shave (burns like hell) Is the Cologne the same scent. (I know sometimes its not like Speick).

Thanks

Will, I use the Tricorn after shave lotion as a cologne, not as something I would put on my face. It has exactly the same fragrance as the Tricorn cologne, except it is a tiny bit milder and has a bit less staying power than the cologne. Being alcohol-based, I'm not surprised that it gives your face the sensation of being on fire. I tried it a couple of times on my face after shaving and thought I would have to call the fire department. The Tricorn after shave balm is alcohol-free. It's rather thick and creamy in the bottle. Unless you have extreme sensitivity to one or more of its ingredients, you shouldn't experience any burn or irratation. As for this product's scent, it is an extremely close match for both the cologne and the alcohol based after shave lotion. In my experience, the Tricorn scent translates from the alcohol based medium to the creamy, non-alcohol based medium more closely than quite a few of the other scents I've used. I hope I have understood your question properly and that my response addresses your question.

nelson

M

modern man

Thanks Nelson,

I just wanted to know if the AS scent Translated to the Cologne Scent.

I like Tricorn alright, but I prefer Jockey Club, which I use as one of my regular scents. Casswell-Massey sells a sampler box of men's colognes for about $20, which I would recommend everyone check out who hasn't tried them. It contains Tricorn, Jockey Club, Greenbrier, Number Six, and Newport. Alas, neither Aura of Patchouli, nor Verbena, nor Lime is included. They've discontinued their odd Persian Leather scent, which I kinda liked in an strange sort of way.

What do you think of the number six?

When I first tried Tricorn I thought it smelled too powdery. But after the dry down it was more sandalwood, nice warm, and maby some cinniman? Any way, very nice indeed.

Well to be honest - I didn't like the stuff when I sprayed it on. It just didn't do it for me - had a very "butterscotch" like sandalwood/woodsy/spicy kind of scent to it - very original - but not really my thing. I shruged and took off to work - then school. Throughout the day I would get whiff after whiff of this cologne, and I started to like it..... then I started to LOVE it. I am not sure why - as I have never had such an incredibly abrupt 180 degree turn, but man o man did this stuff grow on me quick. For under $30 - this cologne is superb - really one heck of a value buy - and has ALL day staying power. Due to the price - the packaging/bottle is excusable, and I plan on purchasing more colognes from their line in the future. Wonderful stuff - no wonder Cole Porter loved it!

I wore that one through out college in the late 80s. Cannot wear it anymore, it has become associated with a life long ago left behind. I still enjoy smelling it every once in a while, though.

Its funny how those colognes that you initially dislike, or even abhor, can become one of your favorites. Eau d'Hermes, Knize Ten, and Domenico Caracini all underwhelmed or disgusted me until I had something of an epiphany. Now I would not be without one of them.

Gents, I was reading about C-M colognes the other night, and i read that Tricorn is based on a very rare subset of Sandalwood, which is called Bangalore Sandalwood. I had never heard of this particular variety of Sandalwood before. Interesting.

"certainly is not as classy as a bottle of trumpers"

I don't know Joel, have you seen how cheap Trumper's bottles are these days? They have discontinued the crown cap splash bottles all together. The newer atomizer bottles look and feel very cheap to me.

CM use to have the coolest catalogue with all kinds of unusual apothocary items.
No 6 is the one Geo. Washington wore.

Top Bottom