What's new

Washing your face post shave.

Does anyone wash there face after they shave? is there any benefit to this?
I've heard a lot of different things but haven't been able to decide whether its worth my time.
I appreciate any help

Personally, I fly in the face of "traditional B&B wisdom". I like to have a freshly washed face when I start my day, so I shower AFTER I shave and use a face wash last thing before I finish my shower. This doesn't mean I neglect prep, I get a proto-lather whipped up and scrub it onto my face, either with my brush or my fingers. Then I finish whipping up my lather, and I select my "weapon" for that days shave and by then the lather has been on my face for a couple minutes. I then scrub the lather off my face with a HOT washcloth and I'm ready to reapply my lather and get a great shave!

The act of applying lather with a brush, and then shaving the lather with a razor, will undoubtedly exfoliate your skin. In essence, it will cleanse away the dead skin cells. The exfoliation of your skin with the brush and lather, will have a mild cleansing action as well. Then, post-shave, with all the rinsing, will wash away any left over residue or skin cells. The act of washing your face AFTER your shave, is redundant, and may lead to more irritation (unless the skin is cooled and tight before rubbing it from the action of washing it.) Of course, with everything here at B&B... to each their own. Wash if you desire, it's your shave routine... enjoy what makes it yours.

My guess is that your face is pretty clean after the shave, but I do try and rinse off all of whatever lather residue may still be lingering on really well before doing a cold water splash.

I shave in the shower so just rinse off afterwards. I don't do a specific soaped up face wash after i've finished shaving.

I just rinse off any excess lather with cold water & then use a cold wet flannel to help cool my skin, especially the neck area to help with any redness/razor burn.
I tend to have dry skin, not oily.
Matt.

I wash my face in the shower before my shave. I do a cold water rinse after the shave to wash off residual soap.

I have some acne problems if I don't thoroughly wash my face post-shave. So I shower, then shave, then hop back in for a good face wash with a acne wash (generic Wal-mart brand in my case). I do the final wash with cold water. I hop back out, and do the rest of my post shave.

Does anyone wash there face after they shave?
I don't. The upper part of my face is washed before shaving. I've already soaped the rest of my face with my brush and sliced off the top layers of skin by shaving. If it isn't clean then washing it again won't help IMO. Do what works for you though.

I've heard a lot of different things but haven't been able to decide whether its worth my time.
Reading opinions won't help you. Real world experience will. What works better for your face? Do not forget: YMMV.

Last edited:
A quick pre- and post-shave wash with a small amount of Dial 'Gold' anti-bacterial soap (liquid) plus some in my sink 'razor-rinse water' has pretty much eliminated the skin problems I have had! It was just an idea I had once and it works for me! Think about all the hand-washing, rinsing and spitting etc. that goes on in a typical sink------my theory was that I don't want to be transferring all those germs, etc. from the sink to my face especially when shaving which makes it more susceptible to germs/infection anyway. Obviously, alcohol-based AS probably helps too and I do use it, but switching to using anti-bacterial soap in the sink rinse and post shave has made a huge difference for me!! Obviously, like everything else---YMMV.

After shaving cold water splash noxcemea cleanser with moisturizer leaves face clean and tingling followed by a balm.

I do use some warm water to "scrub" the shaving lather off my face after the shave, so I guess that is kind of like washing my face again. Then I do a cold water splash and then apply a little witch hazel.

Personally, I don't see the point, I usually shave after I shower, so my face has been recently washed. Then, I put additional soap on my face in the form of lather, scrape this off with a very sharp straight razor, which in addition to removing recent beard growth must also remove any residual dirt, oils or dead skin cells, and then I rinse with cold water. Not sure what an additional wash would accomplish.

I like the feeling of washing my face after a shave, which is why I shower AFTER. I think of it as getting all the leftover lather junk off of my face and out of my pores. After the shower I apply my aftershave splashes and balms as needed.

Personally, I don't see the point, I usually shave after I shower, so my face has been recently washed. Then, I put additional soap on my face in the form of lather, scrape this off with a very sharp straight razor, which in addition to removing recent beard growth must also remove any residual dirt, oils or dead skin cells, and then I rinse with cold water. Not sure what an additional wash would accomplish.

+1 Seems pointless. A warm splash followed by a cold splash seems like plenty to me.

Top Bottom