What's new

Hydrolast Review

Sorry to hear about your Mom, atxguy. I'm glad it wasn't more serious - falling down the stairs isn't much good for your anything. :eek2: (One of my daughter's friends may have started a chain of injuries that ended with her cracking a vertebra while dancing by falling down 2 (TWO!) of my steps.

When I get my Hydrolast samples I may use them with my new boar brush. It's a nice brush, but Omega Pro brushes are < $10. As long as it lasts a year or two, it won't break my heart.

Yeah, that would be steep for a synthetic, but it would be worth it to me if it could hold up for a really long time. I was under the impression they are going to be about $60 though. We will have to see when they come out.

As far as Mom, thanks for the wishes guys. I think she will think twice before walking down the stairs in the dark before letting her eyes adjust. She just broke a toe about two months ago and was just agitated she did something like that again.

Mom: Do you think my bones might be getting weak? I just broke my toe and now this.
Me: Um - Nope. I think you broke your ankle because you fell down the stairs, not weak bones. Sorta' works that way.
Mom: You have always been a smart ***. Then again, you are probably right. (Laughing)

She has a good sense of humor about it though and will recover soon. Being unable to do stuff is driving her nuts too much to lay back too long. Dad and I have already had to remind her constantly that the air cast is not a substitute for crutches and not to walk on it. She is sort of hard headed that way.

***********************************************************************************************

I am in Portland today, and there is an AOS store not to far from here. I will try to get there for blades and go from there. I am definitely not getting any more of their stuff. It just felt heavy and globby (yeah, I know - not a word but it describes it). Update later!

Oddly the Jagger site seems to be incomplete. I have a brush that is an EJ boar and it is not listed on the site. Maybe it is out of production, but I got it under 2 months ago so I doubt it. Strange.

$90 IS steep, but I'm putting the money away anyways. Better to have it there when the brush performs and lasts as well as I hear, rather than want it and have no moneys...

Tried out my reformulated Hydrolast routine this morn, and much better, even though I changed multiple variables and was borderline BBS on my face and SAS-DFS under my chin and jaw. Such wirey whiskers...

...and lasts as well as I hear, ...

This is a brand new brush being brought to market, correct? How does anyone know how well it "lasts?" Has it been in testing for a few years? What is the sample size? What was the confidence level? So many questions are brought to mind when such a claim is made...

Unless it really is just a re-branded already-existing brush, in which case that's quite a markup for a $90 synthetic.

The longevity of the brush is a guess since it is a new product, but the materials should not be affected by the Hydrolast cutting balm which would rot out badger and the associated materials. Also, with a badger brush, there was the issue of the cutting balm keeping the badger hair from absorbing water over time. It appears that the synthetic would solve both these issues.

I agree that $90 for a synthetic sounds a bit high. I am not sure it will be that price, since the market for other synthetic brushes is half that or less. I can't imagine Jagger introducing a product at a price point of twice the market. Just doesn't make sense. That said, I am going to just wait and see what it costs.

Last edited:
This is a brand new brush being brought to market, correct? How does anyone know how well it "lasts?" Has it been in testing for a few years? What is the sample size? What was the confidence level? So many questions are brought to mind when such a claim is made...

Unless it really is just a re-branded already-existing brush, in which case that's quite a markup for a $90 synthetic.

Yes, I see your point on a brand new brush that is synthetic costing more than any synthetic on the market where I'm stating it'll last quite brash (my words, not yours).

Believe me: the day I'm able to try it out this Edwin Jagger brush, I'll walk into Enchante and demand a demonstration with my involvement. I want to hold it, feel it, and use it in mixing to justify my money well earned. I simply heard this brush has been in the making for awhile, so some research has gone into it. When Charles Roberts heard about it, he dismissed it. When he tried it out, loved it, and told me about it yesterday, I raised an eyebrow. Someone who has basically forgotten brushes and moved to a $10 cloth tells me that a small new synthetic brush is better? Color me very questioning.

As for my comment on it lasting awhile, I've heard this from the man who is going to sell the brush and one other patron. Not much backing, but I'll take my chances. If it'll last me 5 years then I can be a happy man to pay up the dough for something I'll use once a day, and twice a day on special occasions :wink2:.

I'll be the first to admit that jumping off the deep end spending a bill or less on a synthetic brush that has yet to be reviewed by the esteemed Badger & Blade community is crazy. And I'm crazy enough to do it if its got the backbone of a boar, water retention of a silvertip, and cosmetic structure of a man-made fiber. If I buy it, I'll review so other B&B'ers know if this is really a product deserving of respect and price, or an epic failure.

So today I managed to go by AOS in Portland, OR. I can say this was a better experience but partly because I knew what to ask and say. I walked in and was greeted by two college co-ed girls who were their "shaving experts." To me this is sort of like having male Hooters waitresses - a questionable practice. Oh well, equality for all. I just asked which "double edge razors" they had and picked up some more of the Gillette Russian blades. Still got a blank look when they asked me what products I normally used. They did recognize Trumper's here though - "Oh, I think I have heard of that one....". Oh well, they were cute so I just got the blades and left.

GFT uberlather was the cloice for today with the little AOS brush. It is growing on me now that I am not trying to face lather with it. There really isn't enough backbone for that. WTG, XTG, and ATG passes with a bit of buffering and all is good. I did get a bit of irritation on my neck, but that was just too many passes again with the wrong angle for that area. Totally my fault.
I think I am about just where I would have been without using Hydrolast. My skin is about the same as yesterday, a bit drier and not as elastic. It feels a bit more "papery" than when I was using Hydrolast. I have noticed I am more prone to irritation, although that may be just me using too many passes to get BBS. Hydrolast seems to have let me get away with more passes without irritation than traditional products do. All said, I think tomorrow is my last Cold Turkey day. When I am home Saturday morning, I am really looking forward to using the products I left at home again.

I simply heard this brush has been in the making for awhile, so some research has gone into it. When Charles Roberts heard about it, he dismissed it.

Wait - there was someone *other* than Charles working on an exclusive Hydrolast/Methodshaving brush, and Charles wasn't involved at all? He actually dismissed the idea when he first heard of it? Who else would be so dedicated and laser-focused on bringing a new brush to Methodshaving other than Charles?... enough to research it, design it, prototype it, test it, and THEN bring in Charles??? Or am I misreading something?

When he tried it out, loved it, and told me about it yesterday, I raised an eyebrow. Someone who has basically forgotten brushes and moved to a $10 cloth tells me that a small new synthetic brush is better? Color me very questioning.

Lol -- remember Charles is first and foremost a salesman, selling a product (or a suite of products). That's like going to a car dealer and having the sales guy say, "Yeah I had forgotten all about this whole "automobile" thing and was happy with my Schwinn bicycle to get me where I wanted to go. But it turns out, this brand new car (pun intended) we'll soon start stocking (and be the exclusive distributor of) is even better than a bicycle!" Sales guys sell. He's no different.

As for my comment on it lasting awhile, I've heard this from the man who is going to sell the brush...

My point exactly. :wink:

If it'll last me 5 years then I can be a happy man to pay up the dough for something I'll use once a day, and twice a day on special occasions :wink2:.

I'll be the first to admit that jumping off the deep end spending a bill or less on a synthetic brush that has yet to be reviewed by the esteemed Badger & Blade community is crazy. And I'm crazy enough to do it if its got the backbone of a boar, water retention of a silvertip, and cosmetic structure of a man-made fiber. If I buy it, I'll review so other B&B'ers know if this is really a product deserving of respect and price, or an epic failure.

Oh by all means, do what makes ya feel good. You'll get my full support. :)

I just happen to be wired to have major red flags go up in my mind when I read stuff like, "The owner/Manufacturer says it's amazing!"

No offense to you or atxguy at all. I know both of you guys are local to Austin, and both have registered here only in February... but the Methodshaving stuff has gone through countless lifecycles, and like any dynamic product/process... will go through countless more. I do appreciate both of you posting your experiences -- as I'm sure all of the gents in this thread do.

This brush is not a hydrolast/method brush. It is a Jagger brush, developed by Jagger for the main market. It is meant to be an addition to their line, and an improvement on their current synthetic line. It just happens to be well suited for the Hydrolast product. That said, CAR mentioned this brush might make the shave cloth (his product) obsolete. Read what you will into that, but far more people from CAR will carry this brush, and it might cause him to discontinue one of his own products.

I think we have gone far enough into the nature of Hydrolast in this thread. It is a product that is always changing a bit in response to customer comments and demands. In the video I linked above, CAR does mention that he might be adding new products as a response of this, or really the products in different grades. So, yes, it does change. If you want the old product or an adjustment within reason, he will happily do that.

I did call and ask him the price of this brush. He said he thinks it will run about $90, although he isn't sure what it will be listed for. Is it high for a synthetic brush. Yep. Is it high if it gets me one brush I am happy with? Not really (see SBAD threads if you doubt this). I have a feeling this will be one of those things I end up getting since I really like the brushes and although the cloth works, it really doesn't have the same feel for me.

Baloosh- Yeah, I understand salesmen gotta sell, and Charles has got to make a living. No doubt about it.

Don't worry: It's not a Shavemaster or some Method Shaving specific brush; just some synthetic that's made to compete in a badger eat badger world :lol:. I agree with you that I get "red flags" with just about anything. Always am researching it first before I even think of buying. :skep:

Bottom line on CAR - yes, he is a salesman. He sells to live his lifestyle. In a way we all do. But I have seen where he cuts his own profits in favor of a better experience for his clients. That lends me to a salesman I trust.

I am happy though. That is the first negative response we have gotten here. Baloosh -I am totally not labeling you as a hater. New thoughts and perspectives are more than welcome, even descent. I have seen the results and am impressed. We are trying to inform newer shavers of Hydrolast and the possible benefits. A lot of this was gone over before we converted from cartridges. We are going over it again for the benefit of new members, and hopefully can add something for the old members. I think this is a product and method that should be acknowledged for people learning how to really shave. If you think CAR is a scam, snake oil salesman, or a total fake, more power to you. I am simply reporting what I have found messing with his system, good or bad, You guys have followed each and every shave and the results. I have NOT held any results back. Bottom line is YMMV. Try it and then judge. TMMV of course. I like it and it helps me.

Then again, there is a new type of razor in development. Yes, it is Hydrolast specific. It is close. SR close. in a DE package. More than I should have said since it is in development and testing.

No offense taken whatsoever. Charles has to get the word out about his new products somehow... and B&B is the natural place to get the necessary scrutiny (and exposure) to anything new he might want to start selling.

A new razor now too, huh? Constant and never-ending changes... much like life itself. :)

Top Bottom