What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Shaved with original 1930s Streamline (with the big cut outs) this morning.
I was keen to make the comparison with the 1950s Streamline but to be honest there is nothing in it - both razors are equally aggressive and equally smooth.
The 1950s version is heavier and has more blade feel but thats it. Everyone's a winner...
proxy.php

You know, when InsecureSpike started this thread in 2012 and called it "The Cult of Streamline" he was right. It's a cult all right. Hard to believe but I`ve been reading this thread for three years!

And after a discussion about shimming it's dawned on me that the differences between the 30s and 50s Streamline are to take into account the different characteristics of the different pre- and post-Micromatic SE blades.

I'd imagine that a 30s Streamline with a thick spined (or shimmed) blade shaves almost identically to a 50s Streamline with the thinner spined modern blade.

Currently I only have a 50s model, but if anyone has both then maybe they could check this out...

And after a discussion about shimming it's dawned on me that the differences between the 30s and 50s Streamline are to take into account the different characteristics of the different pre- and post-Micromatic SE blades.

I'd imagine that a 30s Streamline with a thick spined (or shimmed) blade shaves almost identically to a 50s Streamline with the thinner spined modern blade.

Currently I only have a 50s model, but if anyone has both then maybe they could check this out...

Maybe you're right. I haven't seen a 30s one to know the difference.
I do know that the blades that came bundled with the ones I've got (50s version) are much fatter than the modern blades - so I don't know what this does for your theory.
How different was blade manufacture in England and USA?

Hmm... when I had both 30s and 50s Streamlines side by side using a modern blade, the 50s one had more blade feel on the face...
...The new blades introduced for the Micromatic with central hole and cut outs is much closer to the modern blades and these blades give reduced aggression in the razors designed for the thicker blades (like I guess the 30s Streamline was).

Also, does the 50s Streamline have smaller cut outs in the frame because of the additional cut outs in the new style blades?

Definitely my favorite razor to shave with. I've forgotten how many of these I have and they are all packed up since we just moved. Maybe when I get them all unpacked, I'll share a picture. I might need to fire up my mania for acquiring them again.

Hmm... when I had both 30s and 50s Streamlines side by side using a modern blade, the 50s one had more blade feel on the face...
...The new blades introduced for the Micromatic with central hole and cut outs is much closer to the modern blades and these blades give reduced aggression in the razors designed for the thicker blades (like I guess the 30s Streamline was).

Also, does the 50s Streamline have smaller cut outs in the frame because of the additional cut outs in the new style blades?

This is the style blade I have seen in sets that haven't had much use:

$IMG_8838.jpg$IMG_8839.jpg

So I can't say for certain that the 50s Streamlines were designed for modern blades, but I can confirm I believe they were sold with older style ones included.

And finally, the box:
$IMG_8841.jpg$IMG_8842.jpg

So I guess this fills in one more piece of the puzzle - the name of the larger metal cased set is "New Jewel Combination Set"

Well, I guess I just joined the "Cult". Picked up this Streamline on that big online auction site.
$20151007_011700 (1).jpg$20151007_011435.jpg
The interesting part of the transaction was that I bought it from Robert K. Waits The author of "A Safety Razor Compendium" I thought it was pretty cool. Looks like the razor was never used. I don't usually buy "cased" razors, my collection is "user" grade razors so the strop and stropper are just for show. I can't wait to shave with it maybe after OCtober....

Last edited:
Well, I guess I just joined the "Cult". Picked up this Streamline on that big online auction site.
View attachment 605685View attachment 605686
The interesting part of the transaction was that I bought it from Robert K. Waits The author of "A Safety Razor Compendium" I thought it was pretty cool. Looks like the razor was never used. I don't usually buy "cased" razors, my collection is "user" grade razors so the strop and stropper are just for show. I can't wait to shave with it maybe after OCtober....

Nice example Sir...Got that from Waits...Could be worth a fortune someday...Lovely smooth, forgiving & pretty aggressive al in one package...A seriously well balanced Yin & Yang Razor...Enjoy...:thumbup1:

Billy

I have enjoyed reading this thread for a while and recently I was lucky enough to obtain a Streamline. I think it is a 50s model as it has the smaller cutouts in the base plate. It is even more beautiful in real life than in the pics on the auction site, the pics I took with my I Pad don't do it justice. Have had a couple of shaves with this razor and I am impressed , everything that is said in its' praise is true, it is substantial, efficient and smooth .It is going to be fun being the custodian of this piece of SE history that will be around for generations to come .

Glenn

$streamline 3.jpg$streamline.jpg$streamline 2.jpg

I'm surprised to say that I actually prefer the later version (since every other vintage razor I love comes from pre-WW2).
it's heavier and has more blade feel and was presumably designed to work best with the more modern blades.
Anybody else got a comparison of how the different versions shave?

And what's the timeline here?
Was the Streamline produced continuously with a change in design in the 50's, or was there a break in production? I thought I'd seen ads for it from WW2...

Top Bottom