What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

There was an old style Streamline on Etsy a few days ago. It wasn't there for long. I hesitated, and now I'm kicking myself.

Every time this thread gets bumped I have an urge to break out my own Steamline. I'm still trying to figure out how it can be agressive, ultra-smooth and forgiving all at the same time. :thumbup1:

$sotd11_02.JPG

--Bob

My first Streamline arrived today.

$P1480428.jpg

Everything seemed OK until I discovered that the edges retaining the blade in front of the head had been badly sliced off by the blades, making it plainly useless :crying:.

$P1480434.jpg

$P1480433.jpg

I wanted to try it before I send it back to see if the Streamline is worth having for me, so I decided to make kind of a fix with the spine of a used Gem blade. Being made of aluminum, it is very easy to transform and cannot harm the plating of the razor. Here is what it looks like :

$P1480451.jpg

In place on the razor :

$P1480437.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great Modification to sort your problem......The imagination is an amazing gift......Yeah , I also find the Streamline to be aggressive, ultra-smooth and forgiving all at the same time. I also find the Ever Ready 1914 to be aggressive and ultra- smooth, but perhaps a wee bit less forgiving........:001_cool:

Tried it this morning. True, extremely smooth and forgiving, yet effective... but I found it less aggressive than my ER's 1912, which are also less smooth. I have a Micromatic open comb and an ER 1914 on the way to compare. My problem is : should I keep this defective, but now usable Streamline, or should I send it back ? Those babies seem so hard to find... It cost me £46 ($76).

Yeah, these are hard to find and the prices are going up with demand.......A lot of sellers are not Razor Aware people and unwittingly sell non functional items.....But, your Streamline is in pretty bad shape to say the least.......Its so disappointing as I've ended up with a Melon or two myself....I've sent them straight back.....Its their loss....Not yours.......Another will come your way.....:001_cool:

Last edited:
Just a couple of months ago, my shave routine was getting a little stale. The rotation was wide; I was using just about every DE model in the drawer, including a number of open combs. It seemed that it was time to start straight practice. But then I thought let’s try an injector, I never did use that silly looking little thing they call a model G, and I have some old stock blades for it, what do I have to lose? Wow, what a shave! I call it the magic whisker eraser. Simple and easy to use and yields a super close weeper free shave. Ah, renewed life in the shaving routine. Next, I tried a MMOC. Not sure what went wrong here, but that beast is a *****, shaving with it is like landing the space shuttle in the Himalayas. Maybe I have a bad one? Not being discouraged, I picked up a GEM 1912 , and it was smooth and easy like the Schick G. It’s easy to pick up on the low angle the Victorian looking gadget requires, and in two passes it’s done. So, my new adventure into SE has begun. And practice with them should have me ready for the main event, the Streamline! As I write this it is somewhere over the cold North Atlantic, sort of a pay back of the Lend Lease Act. The English gent I bought it from never used it but stored it well for many years. It needs to exercise its intended talents. See the sellers pics .
$841037852_o.jpg
$841037856_o.jpg
$841037849_o (1).jpg
$841037863_o.jpg

Beautiful looking set! Not only that, but it appears (due to the larger lather holes and solid comb) to be the "old style," the less common of the two variants. You're going to love it.

Every time there is new activity on this thread it motivates me to break out my own set for a few shaves. :thumbup1:

--Bob

I think this is the razor I covet above all others...even more than an open-comb Damaskeene...if anybody has one (or the other) they could bear to part with...let me know!

thanks,

p-d

That's a Lovely NOS Set you've acquired there Sir.....You got that for a good price as I was watching the Bidding going down on it....There has been an unusual number of Streamlines popping up in the UK in recent months.....I acquired one of them....:w00t::w00t:

I love it.....Enjoy....:001_cool:

Billy

I have now shaved twice with my Jewel and it is wonderful. Second shave was better than the first as I adapted to the heft of the razor. It is very different to any other SE razor I have, maybe in some sense a bit like the feel of a 1924 with a brand new blade. It is though quite unique. I trust you really enjoy yours FUZZY,

Thanks Gentlemen for the kind words.
Being in NEW condition, I was really surprised to get it at such a reasonable price.
$841037830_o (1).jpg
A fresh chunk of P160 is waiting to break her in.

Top Bottom