What's new

Ethiopia Limu Jimma

Some of you know that Ethiopia can seemingly do no wrong in my mind; I've literally loved every coffee I've ever roasted from Ethiopia, or that I've bought from quality roasters. However, I just roasted up some Ethiopia Limu Jimma (Alaga Sekala, from Sweet Maria's) and I'm underwhelmed. I get that it has a "fairly light" intensity, so maybe I shouldn't be expecting the fruit bomb or complexity of other coffees from the region.

Anybody else roasting/brewing this? For those that may ask, I roasted it Monday afternoon, to about a City+, and brewed it via manual pour-over within normal spec. The initial sips were pretty faint, flavor wise - but it sits well on the tongue. Sure enough, as it cooled, stone fruit creeped in, and something of a generic spice note (I usually identify this as nutmeg, but I'm not entirely confident in that). But it was really light.

Eventually, I brewed it in a Chemex out of desperation. I was worried that an already delicate coffee would end up all on the wrong side of the filter, but it came out great (still delicate, but very delicious). I'm finishing it out that way.

I tend to use .065 already, for every brew method. Same dose, same routine - just swapped the #4 Melitta filter for a Chemex filter in my Hario, made all the difference.

It's just a light coffee. :)

What was your roast profile? I have found that a soak in the 360 370 zone for several minutes before dialing up can really bring out the fruit and jammy sweetness.

What was your roast profile? I have found that a soak in the 360 370 zone for several minutes before dialing up can really bring out the fruit and jammy sweetness.

I'm still using a Behmor without a thermometer - I'm going to have to get one...

1/2lb, P3A - I believe it would have finished right at City+ with no time added/subtracted, but I believe I added a little and stopped it early (about 1:35 after rolling 1st started).

I'm still using a Behmor without a thermometer - I'm going to have to get one...

1/2lb, P3A - I believe it would have finished right at City+ with no time added/subtracted, but I believe I added a little and stopped it early (about 1:35 after rolling 1st started).
What he's trying to say is stretch out the drying phase a little longer. Make sure you're hitting 1st crack at a high enough temp, too. Too low of a temp at 1st can really impact roast development (or lack thereof).

What he's trying to say is stretch out the drying phase a little longer. Make sure you're hitting 1st crack at a high enough temp, too. Too low of a temp at 1st can really impact roast development (or lack thereof).

My understanding is that's what P3 does; it ramps up the heat slowly, vs. P1/P2 which go to full heat immediately. P4 and P5 also ramp, but not quite as fast - they're recommended for low density beans like JBM or Kona. I could try P4 on this bean... I'm not going to modify my Behmor while it's under warranty, so the only other thing I can do is crack the door.

My understanding is that's what P3 does; it ramps up the heat slowly, vs. P1/P2 which go to full heat immediately. P4 and P5 also ramp, but not quite as fast - they're recommended for low density beans like JBM or Kona. I could try P4 on this bean... I'm not going to modify my Behmor while it's under warranty, so the only other thing I can do is crack the door.
I typically treat dry process Ethiopians very similarly to how I treat low altitude coffees. The trickiest difference being temp at 1c, and dropping before LOSING the aromatics, rather than waiting for them to fully develop as in actual fruity coffees(centrals, Rwanda, Kenya, you get my drift) rather than ferment coffees(everything from Ethiopia.. it's technically a defect, but they see it as a signature).

Top Bottom