What's new

Need Hiking Boots

Hey guys,

First off, thanks very much to those who helped me out over in the Haberdashery on what to wear in my last job interview. Things went very well and I have a lot of the guys here at B&B to thank for it. You guys help make those difficult decisions in life just a little bit easier.

Anyway, my girlfriend and I are going to be doing A LOT of hiking this upcoming summer. I need to get some boots that can handle scrambling and keep a sure foot on some steep scree. For those who live in Alberta, I'm looking at climbing the following peaks this year in and around the Kananaskis and Bow Valleys: Ha Ling, Lady McDonald, East Rundle, (West) Rundle, a few easy ridges, Yamnuska (not the face) and maybe Cascade depending on how Rundle goes.

I'm looking to drop about $200. This is mostly going to be June/July/August hiking so these don't need to be incredibly warm. Anyone with tips on which boots perform well on scree? Anything helps at this point.

I've got a pair of Lowa hiking boots that are ideal for heavy pack cross country stuff, built very well and quite comfortable for days of hiking. My day trip gear is a pair of Keen hiking boots that are quite versatile. Whatever you end up with, be absolutely sure that you try them on before you buy anything. Fitment is essential for hiking boots.

Good luck!

It all depends on your foot shape. One of my closest friends is fanatical about camping and he and several other serious walkers I've talked to have stated that any reputable hiking boot will do the job well, as long as they're the ones for you. You must get into the store you're going to buy from and try on every boot until you get the ones that feel like they've been made just for you. No slippage, gap or un-necessary tightness is allowed. You must also try these on with the socks you'll be wearing with them specifically. Don't underestimate the importance of good socks and spend on getting good ones. Several knowledgeable and well-meaning sales-staff, in outdoor stores I've talked to reckon a reasonable amount of time for a "boot consultation" is one hour.
Even if you get the perfect boots, there is likely to be some body adjustment to such sustained stenuous activity. Buy Compeed plasters, bring along enough socks and take a small pack of talc to thoroughly dry your feet before you start out for the day.
(apologies if you know this already)

Last edited:
How about L.L. Bean Cresta hikers? They're waterproof, made in Europe, all leather, rock solid Vibram sole, $200 (check for coupons too). They also have Bean's great lifetime guarantee.

Ecco, anything with yak leather. Mine have stayed in good shape after four summers of Colorado hiking, scrambling and 14ers. Get them from Nordstroms and have a great store back a great boot for life.

I have hiked with Danner boots over the years and have liked them but I bought a pair of Keens a few months ago and find them more comfortable and quicker to break in than the Danners. Sounds like you have a great summer planned. I too will be getting out a bit this summer with a backpack trip planned to Beartooth Wilderness in Montana. Enjoy the hiking.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Personally, I like hiking in a good pair of work boots ...

proxy.php

Seems funny, but they are sturdy, have a primo Vibram lug sole (that would do great on skree, btw), and have the ankle support I want and need. And provided they fit well, they are comfortable to wear walking all day long. They are a bit heavier than many hiking "bootlets" you will see nowadays, but I can handle it.

Oh, and with a bit of Obaneufs or some such thing, they are waterproof for wading through mud, streams, and the like.

... One note: if you intend to be hiking on wet rock rather than dry, get the Vibram Gumlite lug sole ... much better traction on slippery wet surfaces (but wears out much faster.)

I really enjoy my Merril Moab mid ventalators. Good light set of boots that are long lasting and only around $95. Vibram soles are great and they are really comfy on the feet!

I've got a pair of Lowa hiking boots that are ideal for heavy pack cross country stuff, built very well and quite comfortable for days of hiking. My day trip gear is a pair of Keen hiking boots that are quite versatile. Whatever you end up with, be absolutely sure that you try them on before you buy anything. Fitment is essential for hiking boots.

Good luck!

+1 on the Lowa's I've had a pair that finally succumbed to salt and winter use and split on me after about 7 years. These were used for hiking, hunting and winter use, as well as moving working boot type stuff. The lasts are still in great shape actually, I just didn't care for them as well as I should have I think.

Some things to consider are sole type, full leather or some nylon, and goretex/non goretex. All will have plusses and minuses.

The Merrell Moabs are high on my list to try. Unfortunately, I have a hard time finding solid shoes locally, and I'm not sure that I want to buy online because of fit. Does anyone know places that offer unconditional exchanges or anything until I find a shoe that works for me?

I would suggest trying a pair of Salomon quest 4d gtx boots. They are a light weight backpacking type boot that is really comfortable. Generally they fit medium to wide feet. The boots are fully water proof and have a two year warranty (best in the business). I have a pair and have used them extensively, including a trip on the West Coast Trail. In Canada they should retail at $219. What ever boots you try make sure to wear them in the store for quite a while. Hope that helps.

It looks like the choice is clear, based on all the feedback. :sosp:

It comes down to your foot and how it feels in a boot. Try to find a local store where you can spend an hour monkeying with different boots.

You want good lace tightening around your inseam to the top of your foot, and you don't want your heel to slip. Most important, walk on a steep downhill ramp (or balance on the edge of a stair) and try to shove your toe into the front of the boot. You want enough room so your toe doesn't hit, and doesn't turn black and blue after descending a mountain.

I got a pair of Asolo's that I love, after my last pair (Raichle) died after 18 years of hiking in CO.
View attachment 224340
View attachment 224340$Indian Peaks Aug 2009 12.jpg

The Merrell Moabs are high on my list to try. Unfortunately, I have a hard time finding solid shoes locally, and I'm not sure that I want to buy online because of fit. Does anyone know places that offer unconditional exchanges or anything until I find a shoe that works for me?

you should try zappos.com. free shipping both ways. if they don't fit send them back. really easy. They have the moabs at REI. Go for a half size to a full size larger than normal. I wear a 11.5 w and I bought a pair of the mids in a 12 w and they are the best pair of shoes I have ever owned.

I miss Colorado hiking. Was at a park here over the weekend and thought all the backpackers and people with sticks looked silly hiking through a Columbus Metro Park with all that gear, and really made me miss my weekends in Front Rang, Ramparts, and Sangre de Cristos.

Anyway, my buddy had on a pair of Asolos the other day that he swears by, fwiw.

+1 for Zappos. SWMBO just bought $1300 worth of boots (!) to find one she liked and sent back $1200 worth.

B&P: Through career stuff, several moves, and my 4 yr old my free time has not been my own.... I look forward to introducing my son to CO fourteeners, and reintroducing myself as well.

How about L.L. Bean Cresta hikers? They're waterproof, made in Europe, all leather, rock solid Vibram sole, $200 (check for coupons too). They also have Bean's great lifetime guarantee.

+1 for the Cresta Hikers. They offer an all leather set or gortex/leather set. I bought the gortex ones b/c I'm normally hiking in the summertime. With a pair of gaiters, I've forded plenty a stream and horse trail without issue. Had them for almost 6 years now and they are holding up quite nicely.

In the army I had a pair of Asolo TPS 535's. Great boots, they survived everything I put them through and I still use them today, but if you get them they NEED to be broken in before any serious walking is done with them.

Top Bottom