What's new

Proraso Balm - reformulated

Gentlemen,

a friend just brought me a gift from Italy: Proraso's all new aftershave balm. It's not on their website yet, but (at least in Italy) it's in stores now (maybe one of our Italian members knows more?). The packaging explicitly states that it's reformulated, so I suppose they'll discontinue (or have discontinued) the old liquid cream aftershave, but can't say for sure.

The balm appears to be a bit thicker than before and has nothing in common with the old version: new bottle, new ingredients, different scent - it's the well known lemon-fresh fragrance of their green tea / aloe line for sensitive skin.

Following a very close shave with Martin de Candre, the reformulated balm works just as well as the old one. No razor burn, my skin feels hydrated and soft.

I like the new scent, although it's not as neutral as the slightly soapy, very low-key fragrance of the discontinued liquid cream aftershave. It's gone after fifteen minutes, so it definitely won't clash with your cologne.

We all know that reformulated products cause panic from time to time. But we're still talking about Proraso here, which means the quality is absolutely fantastic - and well worth a blind purchase.

proxy.php

proxy.php

(Apologies for the quick and dirty iPhone shots)

Last edited:
:scared:
:crying:
Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Time to stock up.

At least the new stuff works well.

Stocking up only makes sense when you really, really want the scent of the original version. In terms of performance this is still the top-notch balm it's ever been - and let's not forget that the new scent is very pleasant. :001_smile

:blink:Let's see if you pifed 3758 B&B members divided by 100ml E sq.(whatever that is. Sounds like a lot, should be enough..) plus postage, should get here by Friday.. Hey I have an idea!:w00t:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Ludovico Martelli company, manufacturer of Proraso, is reformulating the entire range: new vintage look, new paraben-free formula and new fragrances. They are slowly starting to appear on the supermarkets shelves here in Italy. Not in Rome yet. Where exactly did your friend get this?

I don't know about anyone else. But those bottles are very nice.. Best looking bottles out and love the new look

They really do look nice. And they're sturdy - a couple of decades from now people will trade today's bottles on eBay. :001_smile

If this new product indeed smells like the white sensitive skin formula tub-I see purchasing this in my future :arabia:. I love the way that stuff smells-really clean. Thanks for the preview.

Stocking up only makes sense when you really, really want the scent of the original version. In terms of performance this is still the top-notch balm it's ever been - and let's not forget that the new scent is very pleasant. :001_smile

I really like the original's scent and cooling sensation. The green tea/aloe products, to my nose, are "off" enough that I didn't buy more after I used what I had (the shaving soap and pre-shave cream).

I won't be buying the reformulated balm. More for everyone else! :thumbup1:

Can you describe the scent a little more? Is it citrusy? Etc?

I'm kind of on the fence here... I love the old stuff so much I can't imagine not having it around. And this isn't a "reformulated is always bad" comment. I'm sure it may be a top notch aftershave. But the old version just seem to have the perfect balance of cooling, moisturizing and scent for me.

Can you describe the scent a little more? Is it citrusy? Etc?

I'd describe it as a green, both sweetish and sourly citrus fragrance. It really does remind me of freshly sliced lemons with a hint of soapiness, although anyone with a better nose than me would point out the artificial origin of the scent. If you have a chance to smell either the Proraso Aloe / Green Tea shaving soap (for ultra sensitive skin, white tub) or their Aloe / Green Tea pre-shave: it's exactly the same fragrance.

I'm kind of on the fence here... I love the old stuff so much I can't imagine not having it around. And this isn't a "reformulated is always bad" comment. I'm sure it may be a top notch aftershave. But the old version just seem to have the perfect balance of cooling, moisturizing and scent for me.

I'm very happy with the nw version, but I see where you're coming from - let's not forget though that Proraso is producing an entirely new line-up of creams, soaps, balms and aftershaves at the moment, so our beloved liquid cream aftershave might not even be discontinued...

Marco: I asked my friend, she indeed comfirmed that she bought the balm at a supermarket in Milan. They didn't have the old version anymore. No word on any other new products though as my friend only looked for the balm.

I'd be nervous but this is Proraso we're talking about,not Coca-Cola,I haven't had a bad Proraso product yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom