What's new

5 Shaves In

The main reason I switched to DE shaving was to reduce irritation. Just a little background of what I am using. I am using a cheap razor. I bought an AOS starter kit (unscented). My first two shaves, I used a Feather blade. On the last 3, I used a Lord Platinum blade. The reason for the change was not really the Feather's sharpness or anything. It was more about the advice I received to put away the Feathers for now.

My first shave had less irritation than cartridge shaving. I tend to have lingering irritation with cartridge shaving. I really only had a couple of hours of mild irritation. The shave was sub-par, but I think that is to be expected. With my second shave, I experienced more irritation (ingrown hairs, skin feels like it is on fire, and redness), and I had the lingering irritation. I think part of the irritation was from a bad habit of going over the same area twice when some hair stands out. I also experienced some tugging. The quality of the shave was better than my first, but IMO, it was not close to a DFS. On my third shave, I still had some irritation. It was in between the previous two. I only had some mild lingering irritation. The quality of the shave was similar to the second shave. My fourth shave was similar to my third shave. My fifth shave took place this morning. So far, the irritation seems similar to first shave. It is fairly mild. We'll see if it is lingering. The quality of shave was similar to the others.

There are a few issues I have. I am having problems with my lather. I can't seem to get what I think is right. I use less water the lather doesn't seem right. I add a little bit of water, and it doesn't seem right to me. I think this could be part of the irritation. There is a spot under my chin that I can't seem to get. I try manipulating the skin. I try coming at it from different directions with the same results. I just can't seem to get it. I am having some issues keeping the correct angle on my chin and neck. Lastly, I am not receiving a good quality shave. I am receiving what I would consider an adequate shave. My cheeks receive a DFS, but the rest is stubbly with the grain.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited:
An update: I did have some slight lingering irritation. My skin felt like it was flush later on in the day, but it was not to the degree I usually experience after shaving.

I am also new, probably 10-15 shaves or so. Fist off, I'm still learning. I too experienced some razor burn as I was coming from an electric, not a cartridge. However, as my lather creation improved I have got less irritation. My shaves and irritation also greatly improved when I stopped applying pressure. The final peice to that puzzle was using witch hazel in my post shave routine. Since then the irritation, burning, and redness has completely gone away. Post-shave I warm rinse, cold rinse, pat dry, then splash witch hazel. I leave it on as I clean my tools and sink area. When that's done I apply an AS balm and I'm good to go. No burn, no redness, etc. Don't give up. It's worth figuring out what works best for you.

I tend to think of lather like a sloppy whipped egg whites.
It helped when I was having issues with it.
Welcome and good luck.

I am also new, probably 10-15 shaves or so. Fist off, I'm still learning. I too experienced some razor burn as I was coming from an electric, not a cartridge. However, as my lather creation improved I have got less irritation. My shaves and irritation also greatly improved when I stopped applying pressure. The final peice to that puzzle was using witch hazel in my post shave routine. Since then the irritation, burning, and redness has completely gone away. Post-shave I warm rinse, cold rinse, pat dry, then splash witch hazel. I leave it on as I clean my tools and sink area. When that's done I apply an AS balm and I'm good to go. No burn, no redness, etc. Don't give up. It's worth figuring out what works best for you.

My post shave is the same as yours, but in the very least, I experience some mild irritation.

I've only been at it a couple of months and if you take any advice at all, take the piece that keeps yelling NO PRESSURE. That is the most valuable piece of information to have. I did learn the hard way and paid the price a few times, but it's a difficult thing to master when you're used to carts and using a ton of pressure. Also, if you can give your face a break for a day or two then take your time paying attention to the direction your beard grows, and don't try for a BBS every time.

I've only been at it a couple of months and if you take any advice at all, take the piece that keeps yelling NO PRESSURE. That is the most valuable piece of information to have. I did learn the hard way and paid the price a few times, but it's a difficult thing to master when you're used to carts and using a ton of pressure. Also, if you can give your face a break for a day or two then take your time paying attention to the direction your beard grows, and don't try for a BBS every time.

I have not gone after a BBS shave yet. IMO, I have yet to receive a complete DFS. I have mapped my beard, and the majority of my beard is N to S. On my upper neck, I have what I would call NNW and NNE to SSW and SSE depending on which side of the neck. It is very slight though. On my lower neck, I have some E to W and W to E.

Top Bottom