What's new

KJ's Straight Shaving Adventures....

I have been a DE user for the last 2 or so years, and can confidently say that I have mastered the skill. Consistantly getting great shaves, quickly and efficiently. Time for a challenge.

I have been cruising the bay, and the forums here looking for the best way to get started, and pulled the trigger on a ebay auction which netted me a Straight that is in good condition, and a few other bits. Pictures here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ebruary-2012?p=3860357&highlight=#post3860357

Being a novice I have also placed an order from Larry for a sight unseen deal, so I will have the basics of what I need, in good working order as the strop that came with the other auction was not worth bothering with. I am currently waiting for that to arrive.

Johnmrson has kindly offered to hone the wug for me, so I have sent it down to him for some TLC.

My ebay finger got itchy again and pulled the trigger on a NOS SansSoucci Straight, one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30066491...sid=p3984.m1439.l2649&clk_rvr_id=317508296700 Now waiting for that to arrive, and on a Gold Dollar to see what all the fuss was about.

I then said to myself. "hmm, I'm going to need to hone these razors...." So I bought a coticule and a slurry stone....

All this before I have laid blade to face.....

I think I'm a gonner. Is there any cure for SRAD?

I'll update when I actually manage to get started!

Lol. Wait until you start shaving with a straight. I'm only 25 shaves in and am planning purchases.

Best of luck learning the straight.

I got a PM from John last night telling me the WUG would be in the mail back to me today! Hopefully it should be in my hands tomorrow (as long as Aust Post does their job properly!)

Cant wait!

There is an interesting thread on sanssoucis on the 'General Straight Razor Talk' forum entitled "Sanssoucis?" if you go back a page.

and the deed is done.Just finished my first straight shave which went remarkably well. I found it more comfortable to use the oe hand for both sides, so that's what I did. Lathered up the trusty tabac, got a good lather going, applied to face, and gave the razor (dovo - Not sure the model, it isnt marked) 40 passes on the leather.Two passes whole face, north south, ended up with a SAS, with only the tiniest amount of blood from where I nicked a mole on my cheek. Followed up with a spray of witchhazel, and the alum block, minor sting, but nothing to write home about, my early DE days were far worse! Followed up by proraso balm.All in all very happy with how it turned out!

This is the razor in question!

Attachments

• $IMG_7139.JPG
    $IMG_7139.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 117
  • $IMG_7138.JPG
    $IMG_7138.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
just surveying the result, problem area's bottom lip, and under chin.

Any techniques for that area?

It'll take you a little while to figure out what is the best stroke for each area. In the mean time, try some short buffing style strokes.

Pretty razor.

For me, and my low-time skills, the chin is a continual experiment. Unfortunatly, it's a straight balde on a curved surface, not a natural fit. I treat it much like my jawline, and try to shave my chin wiskers when they aren't on my chin. Look up and stretch your neck and you can shave one portion when it's flattened on the neck. Swallow your lower lip and you can pull stuff up into a flat spot. Then take little chops at the rest from whatever angle you can get.

These are all predictions on what might work for you, based on what works for me. Treat them like any other prediction, (like the weather) toss them in the back of your mind and hack around until something works. It's an adventure.

Great job man. Cameraflier's suggestions are great. I also do some guillotine and slicing motions on the chin b/c my whiskers are so course there.

I'll be having another crack tonight, I was quite happy with the result of my first go!

Still quite a bit of stubble, but I resisted the urge to grab the de to clean up. I'm going to have a proper go at it.

I've been going through the same experience. Only 3 straight shaves in, and it's been fun. I have the most problem with chin, and upper lip. I just wanted one shave ready razor and a strop. I've already got another shave-ready and 2 more in need of rehab. I think it will be fun to acquire more straights and do the polishing, sharpening, and making scales.

I did have to use DE one morning when I didn't have time. Made me feel like a shaving expert switching back to the old standby.

I have two shave ready blades, and another two blades on the way to me...

Not shaving for a day is an option for me as at work I can get away with a day or two of growth as I am not public facing in my role. So I hope to not have to reach for the DE. In fact, I'm going to put them away tonight, to lower the temptation!

Straight Shave Number 2:

Used the wug This time. Showered, latered up using tabac, gave the razor about 30 on leather, and again two passes north south.

No blood this time. Less stubble left at the end, a little bit of razor burn under the neck. Over all though a definite SAS.

I equate the quality of the end result to be similar to my early days with a DE.

Shave three...

There must be something wrong with my stropping technique... The dovo which did feel smooth, now is pulling, and was an uncomfortable shave. It still shaved ok, but it wasnt like the first time.

Might be time (most likely due to my own actions) for a touch up. I have my coticule, so would a few passes with just water, followed by a thorough stropping with the strop flat on table likely do the trick?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Shave three...

There must be something wrong with my stropping technique... The dovo which did feel smooth, now is pulling, and was an uncomfortable shave. It still shaved ok, but it wasnt like the first time.

Might be time (most likely due to my own actions) for a touch up. I have my coticule, so would a few passes with just water, followed by a thorough stropping with the strop flat on table likely do the trick?

3 shaves and a touch up is very quick... Each straight is different but I normally go between 15-20 shaves (3 pass each) before I refresh the edge.

How many laps on the strop?

To be honest I couldnt tell you. It was about 5 minutes of methodical back and forth each time, if I had to guess I would say about 30? maybe more?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
To be honest I couldnt tell you. It was about 5 minutes of methodical back and forth each time, if I had to guess I would say about 30? maybe more?

I might do a lot of laps but I normally do 30 linen and 60 leather.

60 leather only should be enough. Some do 50 and it's good too.

I would have thought so, that's why I think it might be my technique. I must have managed to roll the edge or something.

Should I go back to bevel set stage, or am I likely to get away with a light touch up. It still shaves, it's just a bit rough.

Top Bottom