What's new

CHEMEX 8 cup carafe and CHEMEX filters

Friday I got my FIRST CHEMEX...What a treat!
I just got my FIRST CHEMEX 8 cup carafe and CHEMEX circle filters. I see a noticeable difference from other filters I have used in the past for drip or mechanical coffee makers.
I BELIEVE THE FILTERS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of this coffee puzzle!
I got the circle unbleached filters as the CHEMEX carafe is a circular drip maker. Seemed easiest to use. I have bleached CHEMEX circle filters on order to see if there is a taste difference I can discern.
USE THESE FILTERS in whatever coffee maker you have...a mug, a drip, a mechanical drip...use CHEMEX FILTERS!
The CHEMEX filters are much thicker than doubling up other brands of filters....So there must be more than thickness of material involved in a GREAT CUP of COFFEE.
I'll, eventually, try the square CHEMEX as well as the bleached CHEMEX filters...just ....because....

Here's my review of the CHEMEX 8 cup CARAFE posted on AMAZON

"I received my CHEMEX COFFEE CARAFE, CHEMEX FILTERS (unbleached in circle shape) and terrific roasted beans....Where's the grinder...YIKES! no grinder! It's elsewhere...WHAT TO DO till I get my grinder in hand...Well I went to the supermarket and picked up a LARGE/huge can of inexpensive coffee. CHASE and SANBORN....
I had to make something in the new pot....right????
This was the finest cup of joe. It tasted so fine with a bit of sugar. No fines or bitterness in the mug.
I used the "DOT" (raised bump) on the carafe to make 24 ounce of splendid coffee. I measured out 5 cups of coffee for a 4 cup pot.
I believe the filter is ALL IMPORTANT!
The carafe is easy to handle.
I fill the carafe with cold tap water (to the dot which is ~ 24 ounce) dot is a measurement indicator on the carafe.
Putting the cold water from carafe, I put on an electric (short spout)CUISINART kettle to boil
I pour HOT tap water, into the carafe ~145 degF to pre-warm
I pour hot tap water into my 24 ounce OXO thermos cup to pre-warm
I put the CHEMEX filter in the top of carafe
I put 5 cups, measured, of coffee into the filter
When water is boiled I pour kettle water onto grounds to cover the grounds
I wait for the water to completely drain; thus allowing the grinds to "BLOOM"
After water is through the grinds and the bubbles stop (within seconds)
I continue to pour the remainder of the boiled water on the grounds...SLOWLY...
After kettle is EMPTY AND ALL THE WATER IS THROUGH THE GROUNDS
Remove the grounds filled filter and fill the pre-warmed OXO thermos mug with coffee
A bit of sugar and the nicest cup o joe is waiting for me!
NO OIL SHEEN, NO BITTERNESS
Easily replicated coffee each time.
To clean...
I swirl HOT water in the carafe and put it aside till the morrow.
DAMN! I LOVE this drip maker...
I got the 8 cup carafe

I am awaiting my CAPRESSO grinder to show up at my door
I really don't need it though....SURPRISE!!!! to me "I'll post pics of mine...till then here's the pics from AMAZON
What a LOVELY glass carafe with wooden collar. #39

Here's the circle filters $15

Attachments

• $AMAZON CHEMEX.jpg
    $AMAZON CHEMEX.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 109
  • $CHEMEX CIRCLE FILTERS.jpg
    $CHEMEX CIRCLE FILTERS.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 110
I've used Chemex coffee makers since I was in college (more than 40 years now).

I have every size from the smallest to the largest (picked up multiples of all of them over the years).

They make great coffee and are very easy to use.

You will enjoy yours.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I've got the the 10 cup newer version with the glass handle, it's my method of choice for my daily cups of joe.

Tob9595, I have used the filters that you reviewed and I preferred them to the brown squares. I think that the unbleached squares impart a strange taste to my coffee. If you rinse the filter before you make coffee you can minimize the flavor of the filter.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Try to find an old Norelco 12 cup Dial-a-Brew to turn your Chemex into an automatic coffee maker.

This is an interesting option, but one of the biggest advantages to a pour over is having water that is heated to the correct temperature. I doubt a 30 year old auto drip will do this.

Wow, I forgot about the chemex. I use a French press now but maybe I should pick up a chemex, it does make great coffee!

Oh man. I was going to ask for a Chemex for my birthday, but I strongly hinted at a new bottle of scotch to add to the rotation and a couple of hones I've had my eye on. Now I'm thinking I should have hinted at the Chemex, too.

I haven't drank from one since my budding days as a coffee addict (a long time ago), but I really want to get one.

I use a Chemex too. Didn't care for the paper filters - the cup is too clean. So I use a metal filter. The result is closer to French Press, more body, oilier and a little sediment.

I use a Chemex too. Didn't care for the paper filters - the cup is too clean. So I use a metal filter. The result is closer to French Press, more body, oilier and a little sediment.

Interesting, it's made by Coava Coffee which is just down the road from my house. I've been using a similar cone just recently by swiss gold.

$KF_4_stehend.jpg

I enjoy the CHEMEX very much. It is a cinch to use and the coffee product is JUST what I look for. I've only used the bleach filters and detect no untoward taste.
I started off by rinsing the filters but now I use them dry
The CHEMEX works better than fine.
Tom

I've had my eye on that filter for a while Henry. How fine are you grinding your coffee and what are your brew times? And how much coffee are you brewing at a time?

Interesting, it's made by Coava Coffee which is just down the road from my house. I've been using a similar cone just recently by swiss gold.

View attachment 222725

Have you been in? It looks pretty cool. They are working on a new concept I think I'll want ... the Kone Funnel.

I've had my eye on that filter for a while Henry. How fine are you grinding your coffee and what are your brew times? And how much coffee are you brewing at a time?

60 grams of coffee, 600 grams of water. I bring the water to a boil and take it off the heat for 30 seconds. Then 100 grams of water to bloom the grinds. Wait 30 seconds or until the bloom deflates then the second pour of 250 grams. Repeat for the third and final pour.

Brew time is about three minutes, thirty seconds. You have to stay close to keep the grinds' temperature up - off flavors if the cool down.

I had to play with the grind size to get it right. Ended up somewhere between espresso grind and drip grind.

proxy.php

Attachments

• $Coava_8_of_11_grande.jpg
    $Coava_8_of_11_grande.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 60
Have you been in? It looks pretty cool. They are working on a new concept I think I'll want ... the Kone Funnel.

I've only been in a few times. However, it's my lady's current favorite coffee shop. It's almost comical how serious and adamant they are about their product. Comical, if I wasn't so into it too. They share the space with a very cool industrial bamboo furniture shop, which gives a great open atmosphere with huge hunks of chunky wood everywhere.
The drawback is that there isn't very much seating.

Great grind shot! the grinds are clearly more even than what im using, I've got to know what you're grinding with!

I've got to come out there - too many places to visit. Now a coffee shop!

I use the Hario Skerton hand crank. Takes a little time but is so very worth it.

This is an interesting option, but one of the biggest advantages to a pour over is having water that is heated to the correct temperature. I doubt a 30 year old auto drip will do this.

Actually, these things were over 1300 watts, and they do heat the water to the correct temperature. When I find them in really good condition I get pretty decent money for them on ebay. Chemex actually had Norelco make these, rebranded as Chemex, to be sold as their automatic model.

Top Bottom