What's new

Aftershave balm with "staying" power

I don't like to wear cologne, as everything with alcohol in it tends to give me a headache.
But there are some more subtle scents of aftershave that I *love* and wish were stronger as far as staying power. Read: I'm not looking to make it smell from a half block away, but to linger a little longer.

The two scents that I *love* are:
Proraso balm
Truefitt and Hill 1805 Balm

There are some stronger scents with alcohol in them, but i tend to dislike them (Aqua velva, I don't really like the old spice either unfortunately. I tried it, no luck).

I do not have many balms, but you might look into Caswell-Massey balms. I had a sample of their 1752 Almond, and it had some staying power. It did not remind me of marzipan or amaretto: more of a bitter almond, I suppose.

The gel from Nancy Boy could also be worth a try, and the milks and balms from St Charles Shave.

Just be aware that if you notice a scent longer then others are noticing it for much longer than you are. Our sense of smell will establish a base line. Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean that others can't. Be careful when looking for more "staying power" and don't rely on just your nose.

Try the Castle Forbs balms, they are pretty strongly scented. DR Harris Aftershve Milk might be worth checking out as well.

In general the balms aren't as strongly scented as alcohol based splashes or EDT's so if you want staying power think about those. Then if you need to moisturize pick a balm with no scent or one that dissipates quickly.

The scent from Ogallala Bay Rum AS stays with me all day at work. It's not overpowering, but I catch a whiff here and there throughout the day.

The scent from Ogallala Bay Rum AS stays with me all day at work. It's not overpowering, but I catch a whiff here and there throughout the day.

That wouldn't surprise me. I use the Ogallala shave soap and find that the scent lingers a good part of the day. Most other soaps and creams I use wash away completely and leave little or no residual scent behind. The Ogallala is unique in that regards. I don't mind it al all, I just have to take care which AS I use so as not to clash.

Pick a scent, any scent, for a custom-made balm from Mama Bear's. Stuff soothes without tackiness and smells great for hours, I'm told.

The AS balm I've tried that stays with you the longest is anything from Pennhaligon's. Second place in my experience would be Castle Forbes.

Saint Charles Shave makes some great scented after shave milks that seek to have some longevity. I love the bay rum with a twist and dagger.

Tabac ASB is pretty strong and longlasting. You'll smell like it for a pretty long time, whether you like it or not!

It really is a nice ASB btw. It just doesn't get much attention here but for me it is the nicest product of the entire Tabac-line.

Top Bottom