What's new

BBS chin with no XTG or ATG?

Chaps,

A very quick one. Last night (about a week in with a straight) I managed to get my first proper BBS around the chin/goatee area. The issue is that I did it by making two passes XTG, one in each direction. No problems you might think, except that by this evening I am rewarded with what DE shaving has taught me to expect when I go XTG around the chin and mouth - serious razor bumps on the areas below each corner of the mouth. Red, sore and nasty.

With the DE I can manage a good smooth shave around this area with 2/3 WTG passes and only go XTG on the cheeks and neck area, but doing a few searches it does seem that you straight shaving fellas recommend XTG and ATG to get a smooth shave on the chin. Is this right, or is there a possibility that will I be able to get a good smooth shave on the chin with only WTG passes, provided that I stick at it long enough and work on my technique?

I'm not going to stop trying to learn to shave with a straight, but at the same time I don't want to set myself unrealistic goals!

Cheers.

I don't see why not, I can get BBS without going ATG. It's all in the skin stretching and facial contortions, the stupider you make yourself look, the closer the shave ;D

I still have to go ATG on my chin area to get BBS as well as 2 patches on my neck. Everywhere else is WTG. It may depend on your beard as well as technique.

I get BBS with one pass, but I don't really pay any attention to the whole WTG, XTG, ATG nonsense. I just do a well executed NaturalPass(tm) with a sharp razor.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well, I have a snowballs chance in Hawaii of getting BBS in one pass. I have, however, come very close to BBS on chin with multiple WTG passes. The razor must be VERY sharp to catch on and cut really short stubble, and, a little pressure helps
too, perish the thought!

TBO, if you use minimal pressure on the XTG I suspect the ingrowns may go away. Ingrowns are when you cut the hair below the skin. Minimal pressure and mild stretching may help.

I'm afraid my beard is so thick that I'll never get BBS, nor do I necessarily want to achieve it. I'm a grown man after all... So it's enough for me just to get a close enough shave of sorts. 1st pass follows gravity: this involves WTG on my face and ATG on my neck. 2nd pass is WTG on my neck and XTG on my face . 3rd pass is free-form ATG, WTG, and XTG as occasion demands.

Great thread. My blade usually catches me on the chin and under that. Very tricky area and difficult to get BBS without irritations and blood.

I have had 3 nicks in the last week on my chin, but night before I got a BBS on my chin. 2 pass WTG & ATG very light pressure and stretching.

I shave twice a day (fast grower) and if I want really BBS around the chin I do my last pass WTG but make the angle I use bigger but NO pressure. Only do this if you're really confident of your technique otherwise something else as hair might come off!

Top Bottom