What's new

The "I hate this garbage they play on the radio!" thread

I hate what the radio stations play, and I'm...

• 18 years old and below

• 19-25 years old

• 26-32 years old

• 33-40 years old

• 41-50 years old

• 51 years old, or older

• What the heck is this?!?! Modern music is GREAT!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the title pretty much sums it up. I hate 90% of what passes for "music" played on the radio these days. Am I a bitter old man in his mid 30's, or is the record industry pushing out turds and paying the radio stations to make them hits?

Turds, all the way! That is why I listen to my own music mix on my IPod or computer, or SIRIUS, at least there is more variety there so I can turn off the turds.

I've given up FM and listen only to XM in the car. Its much better, but my custom SlackerRadio stations streaming over an Android phone is the best yet!

I'm the same way with radio as I am with TV. We watch more classic movies and shows via Netflix instead of all the garbage they show today. Every time I go to my parents and flip through their satellite I am reminded why we don't have satellite or cable.

I hate most of what's on the radio. And while it's true I'm old, I didn't really care for the pop radio too much when I was a teenager either.

It all started to go downhill when they replaced the minuet with the scherzo.

And by the time that rapscallion Elvis started gyrating those hips? Well, we all know what the world has come to since then.

+1 million for the use of "rapscallion"!:thumbup1:

It all started to go downhill when they replaced the minuet with the scherzo.

And by the time that rapscallion Elvis started gyrating those hips? Well, we all know what the world has come to since then.

Am I a bitter old man in his mid 30's?

Yes. However, it's perfectly all right. Your parents thought your music was trash. Your parents' parents thought your parents' music was trash. Your great grandparents thought your grandparents' music was trash and so on and so forth, ad infinitum. Like getting wrinkles, graying and eating prunes, this is part of the experience of getting old. Enjoy it, embrace it; and tell those damned kids to get the hell off of your lawn.

I was just a baby in the mid 60s, but that's when 90% of my favorite music comes from. From my high school days in the 80s until now, I've taken the same stance: When you find something as good as Bob Dylan or John Lennon, I'll start listening to it. Hasn't happened yet.

Well I'm 57 and my local stations are past being poor. I'm pretty eclectic as far as what I listen to but XM radio it is for me for the last five years. Ever notice how many covers they do now for lack of anything original that's good. But then I suppose in the digital age when you can a no talent and make them sound great it's to be expected. Then let's not forget the DJ's that spend most of the hour talking aimlessly. There is some good stuff out but you have to look hard for it. Makes you appreciate it when you find it.

24 here. I mostly listen to music such as Bing, Nat, and Frank. There is certainly some good music today, but you probably won't find it on the radio. I don't think it's just attributed to disliking a different generations music, I find most music from the 80's on to be shaky. My age group is supposed to like the music that is coming out now and came out in the 90's. I do not.

I only listen to the radio in my car and only listen to NPR. Not uncommonly there will be interviews with musicians I like (recently heard Steve Earle and Jimmie Dale Gilmore) or they'll introduce me to a band or singer I'd not heard of (recently Low Cut Connie (lov'em)).
I've just given up on music stations - if I want music I plug in the iPhone.
Oh, for the good old days of great music even on AM.

Commercial radio is just awful and that is from country to rock.

Became a big fan of the local college radio stations.

"Hillbilly at Harvard" is one fine example.

I can't remember the last time I listen to the radio at home. I'll be 44 at the end of the month and I find they talk and play way more commercials than ever. I do find myself using the ipod more and more because of lack of music. I actually enjoy some of the music from my younger days more now than when I was younger. I do like some of the new stuff, but when they do play it seems it is on every channel at the same time or you get twenty minutes of talk and ads between songs. Forget texting and driving I am to busy trying to find something to listen to on the radio to play with my phone.

+1 on XMradio. And while not music, I also like the old time radio shows there on the Radio Classics channel. Sans a few groups, things really went downhill from the 80's on for me.

Top Bottom