Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Mike's Natural Soaps - an early review

Images

Mike's Soaps are awesome!! I have the Rose, Barbershop, and rosemary and peppermint.

My favorite is probably the Barbershop. I am just kicking myself for not ordering the orange and pine varieties now that he is out of stock!

Images

Don't worry, he constantly has batches going, curing, etc. If he's out of stock now, just give him a week or 3.
    - Eric "Fountain pens, oil paints, wet shaving. Maybe I was born after my time."
    Hard Hairpin Left (Maybe) - My Webcomic

Default Mike's Natural Soaps

Just bought a couple of Mike's soaps. Used the orange, cedarwood and pepper this morning: great scent and great performance. Mike was great to buy from too. With Mike's, QCS and Razorock we've got great choices from great small vendors.

I think it's quite a testament to the quality of RazoRock, that we seem to forget that it, in fact is a small operation.

Now, back to Mike's, I'm really really looking forward to trying it out (sounds like it's as great as MWF).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyT View Post
    I think it's quite a testament to the quality of RazoRock, that we seem to forget that it, in fact is a small operation.

Now, back to Mike's, I'm really really looking forward to trying it out (sounds like it's as great as MWF).
    RazoRock's kind of a special case. They are a small operation, but have their soaps made by larger vendors and outside artisans. So they would be bigger than they look. :)
    - Eric "Fountain pens, oil paints, wet shaving. Maybe I was born after my time."
    Hard Hairpin Left (Maybe) - My Webcomic

Images

What do you think Mike's "unscented" soap smells like? It definitely has a subtle fragrance, but I can't quite make up my mind what it reminds me of most.... Anyone else feel like the unscented has a slight performance edge over the other "flavors"?

I think my first full tub purchase will be either lavandin & eucalyptus or unsecented.
    21 and under, TOFLAC-U, BOTOC, LEMS, BOTSS ...Can Grappa be used as aftershave?

Quote Originally Posted by Songwind View Post
    RazoRock's kind of a special case. They are a small operation, but have their soaps made by larger vendors and outside artisans. So they would be bigger than they look. :)
    Joe says that all the soaps in the artisan line are made by one soapmaker. One guy makes and batches all the soap. So I'd say they qualify as truly artisanal.
    Randall, member of BOTOC

Just got a tin of Rose. Awesome stuff. Lathers up like a cream without much effort. The scent is great and my skin felt great afterward. There's really nothing that could be improved in my mind. Great job Mike! Just ordered another tin of Pine/Cedar. Waiting for Barber.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cdmorten View Post
    Just got a tin of Rose. Awesome stuff. Lathers up like a cream without much effort. The scent is great and my skin felt great afterward. There's really nothing that could be improved in my mind. Great job Mike! Just ordered another tin of Pine/Cedar. Waiting for Barber.
    Used my sample of Rose & Cedarwood this afternoon. Agree it's a great scent; I really like the subdued Victorian rose scent and the way it works together with the cedarwood. No hint of camphor in the cedarwood, by the way; just the wood. Very nice.

PS: You'll like Barber Shop. Wonderfully complex, old-school scent.
    Viseguy -- Homo sapiens vegetalis
    "Keep up this good work and very soon I will see to it that you become a Bigelow man."

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    Joe says that all the soaps in the artisan line are made by one soapmaker. One guy makes and batches all the soap. So I'd say they qualify as truly artisanal.
    As I understand it... the artisan line is made by the same soap maker, except for King Louis and 888, which are both made by a second artisan. The upcoming scents are made by a 3rd soapmaker.

This work week I'm doing an all-Mike's week! I have 4 different "flavours" and a sample bar. I've always gotten good results with Mike's but I'm hoping this week will have me really "dialed in" and getting epic lather. Up tomorrow AM is Barber Shop!
    Chris

SIR Searus Dysconyus - OG Member - Knights of the Maillard Table

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cxg231 View Post
    This work week I'm doing an all-Mike's week! I have 4 different "flavours" and a sample bar. I've always gotten good results with Mike's but I'm hoping this week will have me really "dialed in" and getting epic lather. Up tomorrow AM is Barber Shop!
    I'm going to use Barber Shop for tonight's shave. What are the four other kinds that you'll be using? Let us know how they work out.
    Viseguy -- Homo sapiens vegetalis
    "Keep up this good work and very soon I will see to it that you become a Bigelow man."

Quote Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
    I'm going to use Barber Shop for tonight's shave. What are the four other kinds that you'll be using? Let us know how they work out.
    Barber Shop this morning as mentioned. Typically stable, cushiony, thick & slick Mike's lather, but I feel the ability of the soap to produce a good lather is still greater than my current skill at making lather. As in - I can do better!

The rest of the week will be: Lime, Peppermint & Rosemary, Pine & Cedarwood and finishing up with Rose & Cedarwood. Should be a week a good shaves!
    Chris

SIR Searus Dysconyus - OG Member - Knights of the Maillard Table

Received the Barber shop soap today but unfortunately the scent makes me gag. It's quite a sweet scent, not offensive but I am very sensitive. Should have chosen a different scent. If anyone in the UK wants it it's 12.50 including postage.

Sweet? I haven't heard that about it. Strange, but we all have different preferences.

Rose or Orange? Which one would you pick? Also how does the Rose compare to QCS Rose Otto? I'm thinking the QCS uses rose EO?
    Muhle R41+Feather | Mike's Orange & Bay Rum, MWF, DR Harris Arlington, AOS Sandalwood

Rose is much sweeter than QCS. The QCS rose while nice has a sort of after note that reminds me of herbal tea that I don't like. I'm biased though towards rose scents though: as nothing can touch my favorite TOBS Rose cream, so far. Get sample of one and a full bar of the other, maybe? You could always BST if you don't like it. Mike sends pretty decent size samples too.

Finished my lavendin eucalyptus, and enjoyed every shave with it. I had my first shave with the lime today. Even better than the lavendin eucalyptus imo.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cluelessdude View Post
    Rose or Orange? Which one would you pick? Also how does the Rose compare to QCS Rose Otto? I'm thinking the QCS uses rose EO?
    Haven't tried the rose but the orange is awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shaverjoe View Post
    Haven't tried the rose but the orange is awesome!!!
    That's it, I'm ordering the orange!
    Muhle R41+Feather | Mike's Orange & Bay Rum, MWF, DR Harris Arlington, AOS Sandalwood