What's new

Mike's Natural Soaps - an early review

I received a goody box in the mail today and I'll add my opinion in here, for what it is worth. Mike's soap is awesome! Great lather easily and some awesome fragrances ( I got the Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper and Barbershop ). My only comment other than that is that the barbershop smells more soapy than I had expected. The scent is not bad at all, in fact its very good but I guess I was thinking a darker more robust scent.
Either way, fantastic product and I will surely be buying more when I use all this stuff up, which will be quickly, seeing as how it has become my every day super lather maker!

I just placed an order for a tin of Barber Shop, a sample of O/CW/BP and what is essentially a shave stick of Lavandin & Eucalyptus. With shipping, all of this cost less than a refill of MWF for me (locally or on the net, with delivery).
After reading all of the comments, I'm expecting MWF performance, with a better scent, cheaper price tag and best of all, from a member/artisan maker.
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Mike's Natural Soaps! So far, the B and B members are batting 1000 in their recommendations for me. :D

I just ordered a tin of the peppermint/rosemary shaving soap today. I am very excited to try it, not only because it's received great reviews but also because this will be my first experience with shaving soap.

Has anyone used this one yet? I'm getting stingy with my barbershop sample in hopes that someone will post something about the peppermint/rosemary. I assume it shaves like the others. Does it smell like rosemary?

Has anyone used this one yet? I'm getting stingy with my barbershop sample in hopes that someone will post something about the peppermint/rosemary. I assume it shaves like the others. Does it smell like rosemary?

My bar of peppermint & rosemary should be arriving tomorrow, I'll try and post up a scent impression.

This stuff smells amazing! I shaved with the Lime yesterday and put too much lather near my lips. I nearly swallowed some of it until I remembered that it's a soap.

The peppermint/rosemary is fantastic. Wonderful scent. Cooling but not frigid. I often make an uberlather with QCS lavender- it is a great combo. I have 3 full bars of Mike's- PM/RM, O/CW/BP, and lime. All are wonderful performers, the orange being my favorite scent.

The peppermint/rosemary is fantastic. Wonderful scent. Cooling but not frigid. I often make an uberlather with QCS lavender- it is a great combo. I have 3 full bars of Mike's- PM/RM, O/CW/BP, and lime. All are wonderful performers, the orange being my favorite scent.

Can you smell the rosemary in it, or does smell mostly like peppermint with some general herby background?

Can you smell the rosemary in it, or does smell mostly like peppermint with some general herby background?

I just received my bar of Peppermint & Rosemary along with a bar of Pine & Cedarwood, and Lime.

I'm kinda bad at describing scents but I'll give it a go. All of the soaps are nicely balanced.

The Peppermint & Rosemary is pretty much spot on with Mike's description. I can easily smell the rosemary, but the peppermint is the more dominant note to my nose. EDIT: Just sniffed it again and the peppermint is the main player here, but the Rosemary is so slouch, mixing wonderfully with the peppermint to create a real winning combo.

The Pine & Cedarwood is a very even mix of pine and cedar IMO. I was expecting pine to be dominant based on Mike's description but they seem about equal. This soap smells remarkably similar to the Mystic Water Cedar & Sage that I used this morning. A great woodsy earthy scent.

The lime is, well, lime. :smile: A dry, slightly sweet lime that smells pretty true to the fruit. Smells almost good enough to eat, can't wait to try the lime tomorrow AM!

Last edited:
I don't know if you've seen his site, but I think he can't make the soap fast enough. Last week I ordered his barber shop and pine/cedar and this week they are both out of stock. It looks like he still has rose/cedar, which I highly recommend. It's right up there with Salters/QCS rose. I really want to try the peppermint/rosemary, but I'm up to my eyes in soaps/creams right now.

Nancy Boy signature cream has peppermint and rosemary, anybody with both think the scents are similar?

I haven't tried this scent of Mike's soaps, but the NB cream also has a LOT of lavender in it, so I bet it would be considerably different. One of the earlier posters said he superlathered it with a lavender cream....I bet that would smell a lot like NB signature.

I wish everyone would quit it with the posts, here. I'm waiting for a batch to be finished, and you're making me REALLY want to try this stuff out!

I am wanting to try out some of his soaps but he is out of stock on most. Mike carries trial sizes which is nice and has been a pleasure to communicate with. We have been emailing back and forth and he is quick to respond, cant wait to try out his orange scents.

I wish everyone would quit it with the posts, here. I'm waiting for a batch to be finished, and you're making me REALLY want to try this stuff out!

Oh come on! Surely you won't mind one more post! :001_tongu

I used Mike's Lime for the first time this morning. Typically great, thick & stable Mike's lather with a nice natural lime scent. Not too sweet, which is what I like! :thumbup:

I'm enjoying the rose and cedar A LOT. Didn't care for barbershop because it seemed synthetic smelling, but is is light and fresh enough. The limes is also very true - trumpers like, not Castle Forbes pine sol like. Still in the honeymoon stage - a soap needs at least a couple of weeks to find out what it is really about.

For guys with dry skin like me, it's superb post shave.

So I shouldn't post about how I used my Mike's orange/cedar/black pepper to do a test/palm lather on my Semogue 1305 to help the break-in process along, and my hand feels really nice and softer than usual?

I finished my Pine & Cedarwood sample yesterday and will be ordering a puck. Used the Lavandin & Eucalyptus sample for the 1st time today and had another great shave. I'm not sure about this scent yet but it wasn't bad. I love the O/CW/BP and Lime scents, the Lime is going to be my summer soap.

The Pine & Cedarwood is a very even mix of pine and cedar IMO. I was expecting pine to be dominant based on Mike's description but they seem about equal. This soap smells remarkably similar to the Mystic Water Cedar & Sage that I used this morning. A great woodsy earthy scent.

I tried the Pine & Cedarwood this morning. Upon lathering the pine really shines through and the cedar fades to more of a supporting role IMO. I mentioned that the Mike's and the MW Cedar & Sage smelled remarkably similar on the puck. That similarity goes away when lathered.

Good lather and a nice shave as always from Mike's products, and my face feels really nice!

Top Bottom