What's new

Greetings from Northern Virginia

Good evening,

I have been lurking for about a week now, just sucking everything in. I can't believe how much information is available about wet shaving. I really can't say what lead me to wet shaving. The past few years I have been experimenting with different razors and shaving gels. But never, since I have started shaving at 16, have I shaved with out razor burn or in grown hairs. I just thought that was the way of shaving and I never new any better. I have never used a DE safety razor (I once tried my dad's Schtick injector, but I cut my face up so bad I never tried it again). But after all of the reading and research of the past week I must say that I am really excited to get started. I purchased a Merkur 34C HD with a sampler blade pack from west coast shaving, along with some Trumpers Rose Soap.

In the mean time, I purchased a TweezerMan brush and some soap from walgreens. I have used the brush once with my existing disposable razor, I could not believe the difference lathering up after each pass made. The only complaint that I had was that the tweezerman brush smelled like a dead skunk when it was wet, it was so bad I could barely use it. However, I soaked it in some vinegar and washed it with dog shampoo and the smell is almost gone. Do all badger hair brushes have that smell? I am going to upgrade my brush not sure what to get, I need to do some more research.

I look forward to receiving my razor and getting started.

Respectfully

John

Welcome to B&B John!

If you get a chance, go back to Walgreens and pick up a pack of their BIC metal disposables. You can use those until your Merkur shows up. Wegman's also has a fairly decent shaving section-2 located in Leesburg(Route 7) and on the way towards Dulles( behind the Carmax).

marty

Welcome to B&B, John! A Colonel Conk badger brush goes for about 20 bucks. And yes they do have some funk when new, but your approach (soak in vinegar, etc.) is good. I soak mine in regular shampoo and hot water from the tap and soak monthly in vinegar and water solution to remove soap from the base. Nice to have you with us.

Yep, all new badger brushes have the funk. But you figured out pretty quickly how to mitigate that. The rest of the smell will go away after time. Welcome to B&B, enjoy your shaves!

Welcome! My folks are in Arlington/McLean. Looks like you aren't gonna get any snow after all!

Not funny, I miss winter! I can't wait to get back to Warsaw to enjoy real winter weather. :001_tt2:

Welcome to B&B John! As others have said, all badger brushes have some, how to put it delicately, "aroma". Some have it worse than others. You've gotten it right, though, in how to deal with it. Soon the odor will go away and it won't smell at all, except like soap.

Top Bottom