What's new

M7 Manchurian Badger - First Impressions

I'm one of those "poor bastards" that took the plunge on the Butterscotch Manchurian M7...

I refer to myself as one of the above since when I endeavoured into Simpson's website I was starting to contemplate getting a Duke 3. (Big maybe, but just a maybe)

I already have a CH2 2 band on the way and thought that the last thing I would find myself buying was another brush, until I saw those Manchurian Butterscotches... I wanted to cry. And THEN I opened THIS review, needless to say, I had the thing paid for in the next 10 mins.
Now they are both on their way and I don't know if you guys saw the movie with "Hachi: A dog's tale" but that's me every day, trying to stay in as long as I can in the morning to see if today is the day.

Needless to say, Simpson's should offer a discount to B&B members recognising the fact that if they spent a million bucks promoting their products ANYWHERE, they wouldn't get half of the people buying more of their brushes than this forum does... (I guess they don't really need it, but hey, I would certainly love me a discount).

Anyway... Great review, great enough to make me consider it would be cheaper to get a personal barber to shave me every morning than to keep coming back to these forums...

Enjoy your beautiful brushes

Beautiful collection! Do you have a knot preference out of those and if so, what size is it?

I like big brushes (so you would think the CH3), but I'm predicting the Rover will see the most use (not on the basis of knot size, but more to with density and lather hogging). The Duke 3 was likely the best compromise (size vs density), but it's sold out!

ben74 said:
Here are my Manchurians:

A great selection, Ben. Your health to enjoy them.

That Chubby 3 looks superb. If you get a chance later, I would love to see how that massive knot looks post-bloom!

Mark

A great selection, Ben. Your health to enjoy them.

That Chubby 3 looks superb. If you get a chance later, I would love to see how that massive knot looks post-bloom!

Mark

No problem, I'll have some post bloom pics soon. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my Chubby 3 "EXTRA Super" (aka "old" Manchurian). I don't think the bloom will be quite as impressive!

Attachments

• $Screen Shot 2012-03-25 at 8.00.59 PM.jpg
    $Screen Shot 2012-03-25 at 8.00.59 PM.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 324
  • $Screen Shot 2012-03-25 at 8.00.47 PM.jpg
    $Screen Shot 2012-03-25 at 8.00.47 PM.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
I've only got the one brush, Tulip 3 in Manchurian, so looking at some of the pics other members have put up, I feel like I've let the team down... :wink2:

What a brush though. I'd recommend one of these beauties to ANYONE. The hair is simply superb. hard to describe, it's one of those 'seeing is believing' moments. I own two band, three band, best, silvertip, D01... And the Manchurian stands out from the crowd.

Attachments

• $WP_000388.jpg
    $WP_000388.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 313
No problem, I'll have some post bloom pics soon. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my Chubby 3 "EXTRA Super" (aka "old" Manchurian). I don't think the bloom will be quite as impressive!

YES, YES, Comparisons please! Especially between the 2 bands and Super.. let us know if you feel the new Manchurian are a hybrid of the 2 and 3 bands or if it behaves a little more like one over the other..

.... I'd recommend one of these beauties to ANYONE. The hair is simply superb. hard to describe, it's one of those 'seeing is believing' moments. I own two band, three band, best, silvertip, D01... And the Manchurian stands out from the crowd.

Well, that's simply not helpful to those of us suffering from SBAD!

Many of us will be looking forward to this comparison ! please ! lots of photos !

YES, YES, Comparisons please! Especially between the 2 bands and Super.. let us know if you feel the new Manchurian are a hybrid of the 2 and 3 bands or if it behaves a little more like one over the other..

So good, I caved and ordered a 'Hive' earlier this evening.

I just received a 57 in manchurian and it is a fantastic brush. The tips are softer (less scritchy) than the plisson and the hair is firmer (more scrubby). Between the two I would go with the 57 in manchurian as it hits a wonderful spot of not being too scritchy (there is a slight hint) and maintaining firmness while face lathering. The flow through is better on the plisson...but I've only used the 57 four times so far. Hope this helps

Sounds great, and thanks in advance!

I have the Pearlescent in Manchurian and I think it's a really good brush. The hair has backbone, as people have already stated, and the tips have some scritch. All-in-all, a nice feel. It certainly distinguishes itself from the other Simpson hair grades.

It isn't going to knock my 80's Plisson HMW 14 off its pedestal, though.

Basically, out of the Simpson hair grades, I still like the 2-band the best. My Chubby 3 in 2-band and the Chubby-1 I have now are going to see more action than the Manchurian. The GYLE is nice too :)

I have the Pearlescent in Manchurian and I think it's a really good brush. The hair has backbone, as people have already stated, and the tips have some scritch. All-in-all, a nice feel. It certainly distinguishes itself from the other Simpson hair grades.

It isn't going to knock my 80's Plisson HMW 14 off its pedestal, though.

Basically, out of the Simpson hair grades, I still like the 2-band the best. My Chubby 3 in 2-band and the Chubby-1 I have now are going to see more action than the Manchurian. The GYLE is nice too :)

Why do you prefer Simpson's 2-band to the Manchurian? You're the first to step forward with this brave admission!

Why do you prefer Simpson's 2-band to the Manchurian? You're the first to step forward with this brave admission!

I also prefer the 2-band. I have the M7 Manchurian. It's quite nice. I think the flow through is better. The hair is a bit springier. The face feel has a touch of scritch. I have a Tulip 3 and Duke 2 in 2-band. The face feel has a soft scrub but no scritch. Overall, I enjoy the face feel of the 2-band better.

I also prefer the 2-band. I have the M7 Manchurian. It's quite nice. I think the flow through is better. The hair is a bit springier. The face feel has a touch of scritch. I have a Tulip 3 and Duke 2 in 2-band. The face feel has a soft scrub but no scritch. Overall, I enjoy the face feel of the 2-band better.

I'm very confused - there seems to be two camps as to which hair is softer. I thought the whole thing with the Manchurian hair is that it had great backbone but softer tips than the Simpson 2-band. Anyone else care to chime in here?

Well, although I'm sure these LE Manchurians are superb brushes, it sounds like the very slight difference they have in face feel to my beloved Super 2 bands, simply isn't worth the price for me personally and I truly couldn't justify buying a brush that expensive if it's only marginally better or different. (Depending on who you ask)

Because of there characteristics these brushes will continue to intrigue me and I will continue to enjoy owners of this unique hair grade share there perspectives and pics of these beauties but for now I have decided to this as more of a spectator and my bank account will surelt thank me for it.

Top Bottom