What's new

M7 Manchurian Badger - First Impressions

Well, although I'm sure these LE Manchurians are superb brushes, it sounds like the very slight difference they have in face feel to my beloved Super 2 bands, simply isn't worth the price for me personally and I truly couldn't justify buying a brush that expensive if it's only marginally better or different. (Depending on who you ask)

Because of there characteristics these brushes will continue to intrigue me and I will continue to enjoy owners of this unique hair grade share there perspectives and pics of these beauties but for now I have decided to this as more of a spectator and my bank account will surelt thank me for it.

Basically, that's why I bought one - I was intrigued (pun intended). I like the fact that this hair grade allows nice backbone without extreme density. I don't like to sacrifice flowthrough at the altar of density, but I still want backbone in my brushes. In many ways, this hair grade reminds me of my Caravela - some scritch, less density, and some backbone.

I think it is a separate hair grade (from the other Simpson grades), but I'm not so convinced about the premium on price.

I'm very confused - there seems to be two camps as to which hair is softer. I thought the whole thing with the Manchurian hair is that it had great backbone but softer tips than the Simpson 2-band. Anyone else care to chime in here?

I don't know what other people think, but I agree with edwinguz - my 2-band Simpson brushes have less scritch than the Manchurian. While I like the lower density on the Pearlescent, I still feel that the 2-band knots suit my tastes for overall feel better. I'd give the Manchurian the edge in the backbone department, but it's not that different. Also, both my current 2-band Simpson brushes have bulb-shaped knots, so that makes them behave slightly differently.

This is a YMMV thing, so you'll have to try it yourself to see if it works better for you.

As I said, this is a nice hair grade (and I'm glad I bought the brush), but I'm not convinced that it's worth the premium.

...I don't know what other people think, but I agree with edwinguz - my 2-band Simpson brushes have less scritch than the Manchurian. While I like the lower density on the Pearlescent, I still feel that the 2-band knots suit my tastes for overall feel better. I'd give the Manchurian the edge in the backbone department, but it's not that different. Also, both my current 2-band Simpson brushes have bulb-shaped knots, so that makes them behave slightly differently.

This is a YMMV thing, so you'll have to try it yourself to see if it works better for you.

As I said, this is a nice hair grade (and I'm glad I bought the brush), but I'm not convinced that it's worth the premium.

I just realized - I think the shape of the knot and also that the Pearlescent is less densely packed than some of the other Manchurians would go to explain varying accounts of scritchiness.

Yep, I chose the Pearlescent because of the greater loft and the lower price. I can't imagine that the scritch gets affected much - if it was denser you'd imagine that it would exhibit more scritch, rather than less. It's very likely that the lower loft on the other Manchurians makes them behave differently.

I'm very confused - there seems to be two camps as to which hair is softer. I thought the whole thing with the Manchurian hair is that it had great backbone but softer tips than the Simpson 2-band. Anyone else care to chime in here?

The overall gestalt I've been getting from posts about Manchurian hair is that it's a touch scritchier (or scrubbier) than other Simpsons Super hair grades. Take, for instance, this quote I pulled from Intrigued's GYLE thread:

The Manchurian hair is definitely scrubbier than the GYLE, but not as scrubby as the Rooney Finest (which I also find too scrubby). My M7 Manchurian is also scrubbier than my Duke 3 in Best, though I think the "Best" grade of hair varies a lot. I personally think this Duke is closer to "Super" than may be normal.

I suppose the only way to know is to try for yourself. I, personally, remain intrigued by this hair grade, but I am not a fan of scritchy hair, like Rooney Finest.

Yeah...my manchurian 57 is about the same in knot size but it looks like it is much more densely packed going off of the picture from the Simpson's website

I just realized - I think the shape of the knot and also that the Pearlescent is less densely packed than some of the other Manchurians would go to explain varying accounts of scritchiness.

In the manufacturer website, the "Hive" is out of stock. How did you ordered it?

Ordered Monday evening, delivered today. Had an email stating I 'cleared them out'... Haven't used it to shave as yet, but done a few latherings... If anything, it's feels better in hand than the Tulip 3 in Manchurian that I own. The lather it whips up is so creamy... Can't wait to give it a go.
Handle wise, it's heavy. Feels 'just right'. And oozes class. Keep an eye out, I had checked earlier in the day, the 'Hive' was out of stock. Checked in the evening, and hey presto.
Gorgeous brush.

PS

Sorry you can't actually see the Manchurian hair in the pic... It loves MdC :tongue_sm

Attachments

• $WP_000409.jpg
    $WP_000409.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 280
Well, if the Hive causes you to neglect the T3 Manchurian, shoot me a PM. They sold out before I had a shot at it...

I follow Simpsons on Twitter, and they've said the demand is huge. I want to get a Chubby 2 or duke 3 in Manchurian then knock it on the head. But both sold out last time I checked. You can always fire off an email to Mark personally, very approachable guy.

I have had nothing but great interaction with Mark. He was extremely accommodating in putting together a special order for me. Perhaps I'll do this for a Manchurian...

I really wish I hadn't opened up this thread :detective: I was happy with the brushes I had, and then magically, I just ordered a Colonel XL2 in Manchurian Butterscotch. I need HELP! :hang:
And now I can't WAIT FOR IT TO ARRIVE!!

Last edited:
I sprung for a Pearlescent Handle Simfix with Mancuhurian knot a few months ago. It looks and feels like a PJ, but the knot is someting special. Soft but supportive with great lathering ability. The size is just right for me too.

BTW, is anyone else who has tried the Manchurian knot reminded of M&F's blond badger?

Top Bottom