What's new

M7 Manchurian Badger - First Impressions

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Do I get the Manchurian Chubby 2 or the Langness? About $45 difference in the price,which is not much. I just cannot decide.

Do you already have a Chubby 2? If so then you might want to go for the Langness. If not you might want to go for the Chubby 2.

Or in true B&B fashion......... Buy both. :w00t:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Do I get the Manchurian Chubby 2 or the Langness? About $45 difference in the price,which is not much. I just cannot decide.

At this price point, don't get shy over $45. Get whichever one you really want.

Take a coin. Say "heads it's chubby, tails it's Langness" ... flip the coin, catch it in your hand, and onto the back of your other hand, so it's covered and you don't know which side is up. At some point during the toss, you'll have thought "I hope it's ... (heads/tails)". Put the coin in your pocket (don't worry, it won't be there long :ohmy:) and go with the brush you really want.

At this price point, don't get shy over $45. Get whichever one you really want.

Take a coin. Say "heads it's chubby, tails it's Langness" ... flip the coin, catch it in your hand, and onto the back of your other hand, so it's covered and you don't know which side is up. At some point during the toss, you'll have thought "I hope it's ... (heads/tails)". Put the coin in your pocket (don't worry, it won't be there long :ohmy:) and go with the brush you really want.

+1 :yesnod:

Oooooh boy do I want to try a CH2 Manchurian so badly BUT will I really like much more than my CH 2 Super 2 band??? As it is my Chubby 2 bander is pretty darn soft! Is this that much softer? Would this feel like a bigger brush then the 2 band because it blooms slightly more?? Robin, help!!

This thread is hard on a guy with SBAD.

I "thought" was ready to order the GYLE. Now, all these comments about the M7 Manchurian are making me rethink that.

On the Simpson site, the GYLE is list as having a 24mm knot, the M7 Manchurian and 2 band are listed as 22.5mm.
Are these correct?

I just sold a 22.5 M&F M7 style in part because the knot was 22.5mm. For those with the M7 Manchurian, what are the specs on the knot?

Thanks

Intrigued

Oooooh boy do I want to try a CH2 Manchurian so badly BUT will I really like much more than my CH 2 Super 2 band??? As it is my Chubby 2 bander is pretty darn soft! Is this that much softer? Would this feel like a bigger brush then the 2 band because it blooms slightly more?? Robin, help!!

:001_unsur I don't know how much help I can be, but here goes.....

I really think you would love the Manchurian hair. I do wonder if the CH2 Manchurian would be enough different to warrant the price if you are already really happy with your CH 2 Super 2 Banded. It probably would feel like a bigger bush due to the knot shape and characteristics, except here is where I'm going to use your own words against you from another thread....

Well, if a 3 band silver tip Thater was one of my choices, I would be OK with getting both since they are would certainly be different brushes but the Thater being considered here, on paper and visualy, with the exception of the handles are very similar and both 2 Band knots.

The idea for me is not to own 2 VERY similar brushes but to chose one which may excel in key areas over the other... (backbone, density, flow through, etc..) if it was a 3 band silver tip vs a 2 band decision then I wouldn't necessarily choose one over the other since both would offer a different variety in my rotation. That said, it seems like the Rooney may be a bit better in those key areas mentioned... but I believe the verdict is still out until others with who've tried this 2 band Thater chime in..

While the Manchurian knots excel in all these areas, if you plan on keeping your CH2 Super 2 Banded, I wonder if you might want to change things up a little and go for the Langness. This would still give you a chance to check out a nice big Manchurian knot, but offer a little more variety than a second CH2.

Here is what Mark (Roefisher) said about his earlier in this thread.

.....The Langness is a new one to me and caught my eye as I thought it had an overall beautifully balanced shape with the addition of a strong grip due to the wide flare at the handle base. In use, it is indeed comfortable and practical. It's a large brush with a 27mm knot and 56mm loft. As I prepared it last yesterday, I also shaved with the Langness. I would say that it is every bit as densely packed as the Persian Jar 3 (26mm knot and 54mm loft) while the extra height gives good movement and, probably because of that feature, it has bloomed out wonderfully well already. In comparison, the 48mm lofted Emperor feels the firmest of all the Manchurians and has bloomed least. Although some people enjoy that character, I wouldn't be too fussed on an overly firm brush but I've no doubt it will soften up with use later and become more luxurious.

One thing I have picked up already is that the Manchurian badger has great flow through and so requires less product than the equivalent 3-Band Supers. While it has a stronger backbone than the 3-Band, the tips are every bit as soft feeling. So what I doing with them, and it seems to work well enough in my own experience, is to apply the brush lightly to my face with just enough pressure to lather properly and it gives the same feel as a 3-Band with the benefit of that extra backbone available to give a great soap/cream mixing and lathering variety, if desired, with less product used too. If I didn't shave for a couple of days, as I found this weekend for example, I would lean into it some more and lather the beard area that bit firmer, giving an application like the 2-Band usually does. My favourite hair, without a doubt, is this Manchurian.

proxy.php

Then post-bloom,
proxy.php

Mark

If that's not enough help..... Can I offer you a bagel? :aureola:

*Note: The dimensions of Roefisher's Langness knot is bigger then quoted on Simpson's website. If you were to order one I would email Mark at Simpsons and have him pick you out the biggest one he had, 'cause I know you like big brushes. :w00t:

Intrigued

This thread is hard on a guy with SBAD.

I "thought" was ready to order the GYLE. Now, all these comments about the M7 Manchurian are making me rethink that.

On the Simpson site, the GYLE is list as having a 24mm knot, the M7 Manchurian and 2 band are listed as 22.5mm.
Are these correct?

I just sold a 22.5 M&F M7 style in part because the knot was 22.5mm. For those with the M7 Manchurian, what are the specs on the knot?

Thanks

My M7 Manchurian measures 25mm at the base the same as my GYLEs. My Hive measures 23mm at the base when the site list it as 21.5mm. Also Roefisher's Langness is 27mm when the site list it as 24mm. I have been wondering if the knot diameters are the spec. before they are set???

My M7 Manchurian measures 25mm at the base the same as my GYLEs. My Hive measures 23mm at the base when the site list it as 21.5mm. Also Roefisher's Langness is 27mm when the site list it as 24mm. I have been wondering if the knot diameters are the spec. before they are set???

Measurements ala Shavemac?

Thank you. If your's actually measures 25, that makes me feel better about the matter.

If anyone else who has the M7 would share the knot size, that would further my comfort level. :001_smile

A bagel? You bet! A sesame seed w/ bacon egg and cheese would hit the spot right about now!

Thanks for reminding me what I continue to hold true to, which is to never have 2 brushes in my rotation that are too similar. That being said, if the Manchurian does excel, even slightly, in the key areas that are important to me in a brush over my CH 2 Super 2 bander, then sadly it would have to go for what possibly sounds like my brush nirvana found in the Manchurian hair.

The Langer is certainly a beauty but the handle is a wee bit too traditional for my taste and I prefer the feel and look of the iconic Chubby 2 handle. As, always you help put things in excellent perspective while trying your best to be objective. Thank you and it looks like I've made a decision... stay tuned..

Measurements ala Shavemac?

Thank you. If your's actually measures 25, that makes me feel better about the matter.

If anyone else who has the M7 would share the knot size, that would further my comfort level. :001_smile

Hello MaxP,

I have an Ivory Fleck M7 with 2-band Super it has a 25.5mm knot with 52mm loft.

Just arrived earlier today is my newest brush, the Butterscotch M7 with 3-Band Silvertip and (although a totally different shape, of course) it has an identical spec 25.5mm knot with 52mm loft.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Damn it! The fine folks at Simpson don't except Paypal! That's gonna unfortunately put a hold on things.. uggghhh!

Last edited:
Hello MaxP,

I have an Ivory Fleck M7 with 2-band Super it has a 25.5mm knot with 52mm loft.

Just arrived earlier today is my newest brush, the Butterscotch M7 with 3-Band Silvertip and (although a totally different shape, of course) it has an identical spec 25.5mm knot with 52mm loft.

Hope this helps,

Mark

It does. Thank you sir.

My apologies if this has been asked in this thread. Do any of you new Manchurian owners have experience with Plisson High Mountain White? I am curious to know how the two compare.

My GYLE has a 24 knot and 54mm loft lenght. I love this brush and I am surprised it has not gain more recognition. Its silvertip hair is thick and very efficient at lathering anything. In spite of being almost fan shape with a loft length of 54mm it has a nice backbone (it feels on my face backbone wise almost like my Duke#2) and is silky soft. I love this brush.

The Manchurian feels close to Simpson two band (I have a Colonel). May be with a little more backbone and being slightly less soft. What I like the most with my Manchurian Colonel is the loft shape : It is like a regular best badger Colonel. No more of the pointy bulbous shape associated to the Simspson two bands that I don't like.

Here are a few pictures of the M7 in Butterscotch with a 3-Band silvertip knot.

It's shown pre bloom first then I photographed it post bloom next to an Ivory Fleck M7 with a 2-Band Super knot. I think this shows the wonderful difference between the bulb shaped 2-Band and the fan shaped 3-Band on two brushes with an identical specification 25.5mm knot and 52mm loft.

Firstly, pre-bloom;

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And post-bloom;

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

For a fair while now, I've been intending to collect a total of thirteen brushes and have recently got there. I bought and sold a couple (like my most recent Milk Churn out for a Butterscotch M7 in) and may well do some trading again in the future but I intend to stay at thirteen, all being well. Here's my current collection;

proxy.php

proxy.php

Skol,

Mark

Last edited:
looking at Simpsons web site and they have added more SE brushes, now we have the colonel X2L in butterscotch two band and butterscotch Manchurian, a duke 3 butterscotch Manchurian and an M7 butterscotch in Manchurian. i need to rob a bank or something cus i really want all these brushes.. :001_tt1:

bob

My apologies if this has been asked in this thread. Do any of you new Manchurian owners have experience with Plisson High Mountain White? I am curious to know how the two compare.

I have a 57 in manchurian coming soon that is somewhat close in knot size to my plisson. I'll report back with a comparison in a week or so.

Top Bottom