What's new

M7 Manchurian Badger - First Impressions

You know, it's new, it's fantastic, you think it's the better brush of the world because you give a lot of money to get it but when you compare with your other brushes ... IMHO, this brush does not work twice better than my thater or M&F blonde or Rooney but cost twice more.

Sure it's a really good brush but I have same pleasure and same results using my other brushes.

I hear you - the Manchurian is not good value. Although I am thinking that it's shaping up to be my best brush, if only by a little.

Here is my baby in all it's glory. I will post after I have broken it in. Enjoy the pics

proxy.php

proxy.php

My M7 is finally here.
I suspect it has to be broken in but at the moment my 3 band Dovo silvertip is softer.
Here are the pre bloom:
$DSC_0011a.jpg$DSC_0018a.jpg

Soaked:
$DSC_0093a.jpg

Lather:
$DSC_0102.jpg

Post bloom:
$DSC_0121.jpg

I have been using my Manchurian now for a week, and I have to say that it is the best brush I have ever used.....perfect amount of backbone with the perfect amount of tip softness. It lathers up a storm, and I think I have found brush nirvana.

I have been using my Manchurian now for a week, and I have to say that it is the best brush I have ever used.....perfect amount of backbone with the perfect amount of tip softness. It lathers up a storm, and I think I have found brush nirvana.

I have to say I'm with you. Is it worth the premium over a top-flight 2-band like an M&F Blonde for example? Probably not. But the Manchurian is the best, at least by a hair :laugh:, that I've ever used.

Sorry, I forgot to post pictures of my Manchurian post bloom. Enjoy....have I mentioned that I LOVE THIS BRUSH?? Lol

proxy.php

proxy.php

My Manchurian Menagerie...

$Screen Shot 2012-04-23 at 8.09.46 PM.jpg $Screen Shot 2012-04-23 at 8.10.54 PM.jpg

Colonel, Hive, Chubby 3, Rover and Emperor 3

$Screen Shot 2012-04-23 at 8.10.15 PM.jpg $Screen Shot 2012-04-23 at 8.10.29 PM.jpg

$Screen Shot 2012-04-23 at 8.13.38 PM.jpg

I'm hoping to add a Duke 3 to the collection!​

Last edited:
So a member here was so gracious as to loan me his Manchurian Chubby 2 for a week. I've been playing with and I wanted to share my thoughts for anyone who may be interested.

Here is a direct comparison to the Chubby 2 in best. I wish I had a 2-band to compare, but I don't. So the best was the best I could do :wink2:

The manchurian is slightly less dense. It still has a semi bulb knot, probably a little bit more than the best. This means it would probably perform even better for bowl lathering than the best version. I face lather, so while a fan is ideal, the reality is the knot is so massive anyway that having a bulb vs semi fan doesn't make much difference in performance.

Regarding the feel, the Manchurian definitely has more backbone. It is more scrubby, but not an uncomfortable scrubby. There is maybe the slightest touch of scritch. Nowhere near the scritch of the Rooney Finest. But I suspect that what I feel on the face is more scrub than anything else. Compared to the Best, it picks up soap better, retains water better, and releases lather a little better, while having a little more of that "badger wall" feel on the face. So while "less dense" is often thrown around as a bad thing, in this case it helps the flow through, and it still has tons of backbone.

This thing retains water like its a sponge. Which comes in handy for those water thirsty soaps and creams. But a gentle squeeze easily solves that if you prefer to work with a drier start. It also tends to make more of a denser lather as opposed to a more voluminous lather. That is a property that I, as a straight shaver, enjoy. I personally see no point in having huge clouds of lather. I'm not taking a bubble bath, I'm shaving my face. I need enough for between my skin and my blade. The rest is just excess which has to be constantly wiped off.

Anyway, getting back to the brush. Overall, its a fantastic brush. I haven't compared it to the simpson's 2 bands, but it does feel different than the other 2 bands I own. I have a Shavemac D01, and even with an ultra short loft it has zero scritch whatsoever. This has more scrub and just the slightest touch of scritch. I also have a Thater 2 band, which isn't floppy per se, but it isn't in this league of density. And its really soft. Not something I would buy again.

This is a very good brush. I can tell its well made and the hair is of high quality. Just looking at the handle the lines seem sharper, like the lathing was done with just a little extra finesse. Also, the black lettering is a very nice touch. Something I'd like to see on all the models. Also, the rod stock appears to have a very slight orange hue to it. It's no butterscotch, but it just looks warmer.

So, no sense beating around the bush. These brushes aren't cheap. There is a good premium over the regular 2 band. I think a lot of it depends on your preferences. This type of hair definitely isn't for everyone. I think if you're a hard soap user who faces lathers, then the Manchurian grade is perfect for you. If you're a cream user who bowl lathers, then a 3 band super is probably more of your style. So while being expensive, they have a substantial feel and just give that impression of very high quality. Even better than the regular simpson's line, or any manufacturer for that matter. No simple stamping or whatever for the logo, this is engraved, and the black paint not only makes it look clean and elegant, but I suspect it has added durability.

All in all, a fantastic brush that I was very happy to have the opportunity of trying. I will certainly be following their site closely to see if they have any more in a style I would prefer.

And now, of course, the obligatory pictures:

$photo (10).JPG
$photo (12).JPG
$photo (11).JPG
$photo (14).JPG
$photo (15).JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48987

Nice review my friend. I really, REALLY want to try the manchurian chubby 2. The chubby 2 is my favorite brush and thus far I've had it in best, 2-band, and 3-band. I currently favor the 2-band and would go for the manchurian if it wasn't such an expensive risk.

That T3 is one I have been contemplating or agonizing over a purchase. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Top Bottom