What's new

From the Worst to the Best

strop

Now half as wise
Yesterday may have been my worst straight shave yet.:cursing: I was happier with my very first several months ago. I didn't get any cuts, weepers or burn and the alum tingled just like usual. I just still had too much stubble:angry:. Barely SAS. By noon it felt like it used to back in the cart days, and I had to shave again before my concert last night. I was really frustrated and almost decided to use the DE this AM, but then figured I needed to get back on the horse to show him who's boss!:001_smile

Same prep as yesterday, though I used a different razor. Did my usual 4 pass shave (same as DE) and got the best shave I've had with the straight. Decided I neede to use two hands at all times!:confused1:001_smile By that I mean, I concentrated on having one hand stretch the skin with every stroke of the razor, rather than sometimes relying only on tilting the head/neck or puffing out a cheek. Sometimes it didn't seem like I was really doing anything, but it must have been enough, since the usual trouble spots on my neck are BBS today, for this first time ever with the straight:badger:

I really believe the difference was the better stretching. Yesterday I used a 6/8 Dovo Special. This was only the second shave with it and came from SRD along with a Latigo strop, that I used for the first time. Today was my trusty Dovo Astrale 5/8, but same strop, so I don't think I hurt the edge on the 6/8 but time will tell.

For now I'm just going to savor the moment!:thumbup:

Top Bottom