What's new

The B&B LE Pipe '12 Discussion Thread

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Odd...most of the bowls seem to be virgin briar, but mine has a bit of pre-carb:

I was going to ask the same thing. My pipe is the same color inside the bowl as the outside, originally I thought it was treated to help with the break in, but after seeing some of the other pictures I'm wondering if the inside of the bowl is just stained. I don't have my pipe handy to inspect it closer.

Mark sometimes uses a very fine pure carbon powder from activated charcoal in his bowls. Its completely neutral in taste. I can't say for sure why some get it and some don't but knowing Mark I can hazard a guess. He is an extreme perfectionist, and I suspect during the staining process a drip or line of stain entered the bowl. That would bug the hell out of him and to make everything uniform he would add the carbon. If you want to test my theory twist a paper towel and wipe out the bowl than wipe it again with a little alcohol most of the powder should come out pretty easily.

OBTW...

While talking about Mark's work last night with SWMBO, she asked what it would take for me to make one.
I told her that Mark sells kits with stem that are already drilled, only needing shaping and finishing.

I ordered a PK-12, bent Lucite Military stem.
Going to make a Freehand out of it.

$PK10-12.JPG

Mark sometimes uses a very fine pure carbon powder from activated charcoal in his bowls. Its completely neutral in taste. I can't say for sure why some get it and some don't but knowing Mark I can hazard a guess. He is an extreme perfectionist, and I suspect during the staining process a drip or line of stain entered the bowl. That would bug the hell out of him and to make everything uniform he would add the carbon. If you want to test my theory twist a paper towel and wipe out the bowl than wipe it again with a little alcohol most of the powder should come out pretty easily.

Yep, I was guessing along the same lines, and it did certainly have the look and consistency of charcoal powder. Regardless, it is a superbly-crafted work of art, and it smokes like a dream.

Just received mine.... #23 of 28 :) I will post a picture when the hour is more sane......

Seanmckay

PS I have no clue when it specifically arrived since I hadn't checked my mailbox in a week. And after catching up on this thread at midnight, I decided to go check and there it was!!

So who's smoked what so far for their first go in the Tinsky? I'm debating whether to open some FVF I jarred in February or the tin of Silver Flake.

So who's smoked what so far for their first go in the Tinsky? I'm debating whether to open some FVF I jarred in February or the tin of Silver Flake.

I christened mine with some McClelland Royal Cajun Special. I bought it just for the occasion, and liked it quite a bit!

I smoked a bowl of Stonehaven in it Saturday - about an hour after I grabbed it out of the mailbox.

Top Bottom