What's new

Brown and oily shave cream? Taconic Shave Cream Tequila Lime.

I bought this from a vendor and just received it today. I opened it and this is what greeted me. Is this normal? Im not putting this on my face...It doesn't smell anything like its scent title either. It smells like...wood? Tree bark or something.

$Tequila Lime.jpg

That is weird and gross looking. Not sure if during shipping there were some problems with heat/cold and it started to separate.

Hmmm...maybe. I read this about TOBS cream @ Classicshaving.

"Please be aware that during extreme summer heat shaving cream may separate. If this occurs, simply stir and refrigerate to combine separated formula."

I'll try this if the vendor/supplier tell me it should be okay to mix it.

Well I went ahead and mixed it anyways. I don't know if it is supposed to be brown and the consistency is pretty soft. Hopefully it settles in nicely in the fridge and over time. When I mixed it back up it seemed to expand a little from the whipping so not all of it fit back in the container, but most of it did. I then whipped up a lather from what was left over. Smells pretty nice, was easy to lather, and had good staying power. It actually felt pretty great on the face. I didn't shave but it felt like like a good quality cream. The first impression was off-putting, maybe I over-reacted. Still, I look forward to trying it out next time I shave.

$2012-02-18 18.55.21.jpg
Anybody know if beige/khaki is this cream's normal color in the tub?​

Taconic is made with organic honey. It it the honey that you see slightly pooling on top of the cream. The cream itself is made of healthy ingredients, and therefore the cream has a natural (un-bleached) color. A very quick stir with a coffee stirrer or snipped of q-tip, will re-mix the cream nicely. Don't worry, the shaving cream is not harmed when it arrives like such. It will whip into a wonderful, creamy and slick lather, and will give a great shave. The tequila lime is lightly scented (not super strong lime or tequila for that matter), but will smell slightly stronger when applied to your face for shaving.

HONEY! That must've been the "tree bark" smell I got when I opened it. Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I was able to mix it up and it did lather well indeed. I'm also able to pick up the scent which is pretty nice. I don't know if I'll buy this cream again, but so far it looks like I'll enjoy using it while I have it.

Taconic is made with organic honey. It it the honey that you see slightly pooling on top of the cream. The cream itself is made of healthy ingredients, and therefore the cream has a natural (un-bleached) color. A very quick stir with a coffee stirrer or snipped of q-tip, will re-mix the cream nicely. Don't worry, the shaving cream is not harmed when it arrives like such. It will whip into a wonderful, creamy and slick lather, and will give a great shave. The tequila lime is lightly scented (not super strong lime or tequila for that matter), but will smell slightly stronger when applied to your face for shaving.

Very good information, thank you. Honey is a wonder from Nature. I also like products that are unbleached, even my sugar. We wonder what Bleach does to us....in everything now a days.

Taconic's 'Bay Rum' is one of my favorite Bay Rum creams. It has the scent of orange, allspice (but sweeter), and almost has a pumpkin-pie aroma. Taconic is the shave cream we use in our hot lather machines (instead of the proprietary Campbell's Liquid Shave Cream). Don't let the natural color of the product disuade you from shaving with it... This stuff is SUPER CONCENTRATED, and a peanut size amount should give you a great, three-pass shave. Actually, when I'm brush lathering, I swirl the brush's tips against the top surface of the cream (very lightly), and very quickly, can whip it up to a nice, thick, and slick lather.

I recently got a sample of TOBS Coconut (I lve in TX) and the sample looked just like this, except the oil was not as dark. After letting it sit over night, it looked just like my AoS cream. I think it was the heat.

EDIT:: Sorry for the necro post......didn't realize this was a 2012 thread :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom