What's new

.308 Carbine?

I would hazard a guess and say cartridge availability. Part of the appeal of the carbine/scout is general availability of ammo. 308 is one probably one of the more common rounds, especially in.30 caliber. Some of those rounds you suggest are nice, but really are not sitting on shelves in most gun stores. 308, 270, 30-06, 5.56...pretty much available at Wal-Mart.
Brent.

Can't argue with that! I have been reloading close to 50 years now so just do not worry about that.

Can't argue with that! I have been reloading close to 50 years now so just do not worry about that.
That's an enviable skill, and really, all of us shooters should be reloading in some capacity, if for no other reason to keep from being limited by proximity of ammo, not to mention cost.
If you have been at it for 50 years you need to write a book! Mucho respect for that brother.
Brent.

That's an enviable skill, and really, all of us shooters should be reloading in some capacity, if for no other reason to keep from being limited by proximity of ammo, not to mention cost.
If you have been at it for 50 years you need to write a book! Mucho respect for that brother.
Brent.

Thanks for the compliment, but I am not at a skill/knowledge level to be writing books. I started with my first centerfire, the Mod 709 I mentioned when I was a freshman in college, so I could afford to shoot. It was not long until I progressed to casting bullets for the same reason.

It's really easy, and just about everything you need to know nowdays are in books.

I have to admit as a guy who grew up on bolt actions the Ruger is 'mine' when it comes to a short handy piece in my mind.

But a .30-30 with aperature sights, a scout-scope rail and an Aimpoint or lower-power magnified scope would do very well for most all-around purposes with a couple extra boxes of ammo handy.

Not gonna do great in a protracted firefight compared to modern stuff, but neither would the Ruger, and that isn't the basic requirement. Just something powerful enough, and handy.

We can;t have semi autos here in Oz any more (don;t start me) but in my opinion most modern carbines are very poorly balanced. They seem to be made for looks rather than function.

What would I do? Don;t worry about a Carbine just get a good bolt rifle instead - Browning A-Bolt will do nicely !

We can;t have semi autos here in Oz any more (don;t start me) but in my opinion most modern carbines are very poorly balanced. They seem to be made for looks rather than function.

What would I do? Don;t worry about a Carbine just get a good bolt rifle instead - Browning A-Bolt will do nicely !

I agree about the carbines. My best handling gun is a real rifle, a 1929 vintage Swedish Husqvarna Model 46 sporter in 9.3x57 Mauser, a rather mild, somewhat lower velocity round they call the punkin chunker. It throws a 286 gr bullet at about 2200-2300 FPS. It has a 26" barrel, open sights, the single leaf rear shaped a lot like one of the express type sights. The stock has a rather narrow comb and is cast off for a right handed shooter and fits me perfectly. It points and handles a lot like a well fitting double barrel shotgun. I got lucky when I bought this one from an on line vendor, the gentleman has a very good reputation and gives very good descriptions and pictures.

Top Bottom