What's new

Castle forbes lime or Trumpers lime

Which lime scented cream?

• Geo F. Trumper Lime

• Castle Forbes Lime

• Other Lime ( name your choice )

Results are only viewable after voting.
I didn't vote as I have only tried the CF lime. I picked some up on a recent NYC trip based on the glowing reviews it got on another recent poll here. Beautiful smell if you like lime and a little really does go a long way. My regular stuff is still Proraso cream, and the CF lime is my weekend indulgence. Love it.

CF, not even close. after 20 years of using Trumper's stuff almost exclusively, I have seen the light. PIF'd away my GFT limes; keepin' the CF and the QCS.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Castle Forbes Lime, GFT Coconut.

marty

Good answer. GFT coconut is generally considered the best of their line ... I've tried the CF cedar/sandalwood, and love it. I have the T&H lime and quite like it; some say the scent is a bit synthetic, but not to my nose. But who nose what I nose?

That's the point though, scent. All of these creams perform excellently. CF may have the slightest edge in performance but it's really quite slight if it's there at all. However, if you don't care for the scent then the rest doesn't matter. No one was more disappointed than I after reading all these glowing, super-hype reviews of CF. And then I got the samples...

Yes, all those creams perform excellently. I doubt he'd be unhappy with almost any cream mentioned in this thread. So often here we focus on getting that last 1% improvement ... we want the "100 out of 100" product instead of the "99 out of 100" ... that's kind of what B&B is all about in a way.

B&B is also about "YMMV" ... so no problem that you didn't fine CF creams as price-justifyingly wonderful as many other members ... and what is more personal than scent?

Like I said, no one was more disappointed than I was. Not a hater though, just found the lime scent not what I was expecting and the cedar was, well, too woody. Didn't try the lavender as I don't care for it in any version. But CF is a lathering **** of a cream.

I have never tried CF or Trumpers but I did get a sample of QCS Key lime that smelt amazing. I thought its performance is great but I'm a noob so I could be wrong.

Castle forbes is leaps and bounds away from any soap I have used. In all aspects! It's definitely not slightly better than others.
That's the point though, scent. All of these creams perform excellently. CF may have the slightest edge in performance but it's really quite slight if it's there at all. However, if you don't care for the scent then the rest doesn't matter. No one was more disappointed than I after reading all these glowing, super-hype reviews of CF. And then I got the samples...

I have had a few days to think about Castle Forbes objectively and from a purely performance standpoint and I realized something. I have not had a truly memorable shave since I finished my tub of Castle Forbes lavender almost a year ago. This realization comes as I am about halfway through a tallow first puck of Penhaligon's English Fern.
The T-1st Pen's EF was a grail find for me and for several who sought out the remaining pucks a couple of years ago. It's good, very good indeed but dammit ... Castle Forbes performs so much better.
CF lather is richer, more protective, and leaves my skin feeling better than it did before the shave and for far longer. This would probably be true if it were unscented.
Now I will admit that when I first started using it I had a difficult time with CF cream. In fact I came very close to giving it away after just a few tries. But once I decided to try face lathering with it, I was extremely glad that I gave it that one last chance.
By no means am I some kind of cream & soap connoisseur but I just can't see that anything about my shaves has had a greater impact than the loss of my Castle Forbes cream.
I am still looking forward to trying RazoRock Mughetto di Bologna because I really love Lily of the Valley. Based on many of the threads here I am expecting very good results from RazoRock, but I have a feeling that I am never going to find anything that surpasses the performance and the scent of Castle Forbes creams.
I think I am going to make Castle Forbes cream my default gift request for my birthday and Christmas.

Just my personal take on things.

I have never tried CF or Trumpers but I did get a sample of QCS Key lime that smelt amazing. I thought its performance is great but I'm a noob so I could be wrong.

No, you are not wrong. QCS key lime is fantastic and all of the QCS creams perform the same way....AWESOME!

Can't vote here as I have only ever used the Trumpers (which I think is fabulous BTW) Not to go off topic but their Lime Soap reminds me of toilet cleaner?

In the hard water I have for shaving with, CF makes much, much better lather than GFT Lime. The scent reminds me of hard candy more than fruit, but I still like it, whereas Trumper's doesn't seem to carry the scent into the lather at all, just wafts to you from the open container. I still have to try Vulfix lime at some point down the road.

Top Bottom