What's new

the KRYSTAL EDGE challenge....

a member of this board who shall remain nameless until they wish to divulge their secret identity *:)shifty:) sent me a "KRYSTAL EDGE" razor shaped object with the challenge issued to hone it and see if it will take an edge.....

it arrived today... i ran outside and brought it in and immediately ran for the stones...... i set the bevel with my 1k king waterstone and then flipped it over to the 6k side just to knock a bit of the rough off the edge....

then i grabbed my coticule and some water and started working the edge... bringing the edge out trying to get a HHT out of it...... but nope.... it would shave arm hair like no tomorrow but just didn't wanna HHT...

do i finally just grabbed the welsh slate and without slurry made ~40passes.... still no hht...

went to the shave den and stropped it out ~40passes on latigo... HHT+... hmm....
then ~40more passes on 3"big daddy and HHT3........

now i am still not really happy with this but i figured what the heck.... lathered up with TOBS soap using warm water and started shaving...

what a nice surprise... i made a 2 pass with touchup DFS...... very satisfied with the shave...

now i will wait for the other guilty party in this to come forward and see what he wants to do.... i would love to make this a "honing pass around" like is being done with a certain "gold dollar 300"......

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
Sounds a bit like my GD from the competition. I can get it to HHT3 with CrOx, but no further, no matter what I try. It shaves, but it pulls a bit, and I want better than that. It's a little disappointing, because my GD 208 HHT5's all day long, and in a blind test you couldn't pick it from most of my more expensive razors. Maybe the steel in different model GD's is different? Dunno.

I'm out of ideas on that one.

Sounds a bit like my GD from the competition. I can get it to HHT3 with CrOx, but no further, no matter what I try. It shaves, but it pulls a bit, and I want better than that. It's a little disappointing, because my GD 208 HHT5's all day long, and in a blind test you couldn't pick it from most of my more expensive razors. Maybe the steel in different model GD's is different? Dunno.

I'm out of ideas on that one.

it didn't pull........ it was a comfortable shave....:001_unsur

Legion

Staff member
it didn't pull........ it was a comfortable shave....:001_unsur

It is probably just me and my razor. My shave was DFS, and maybe I've been spoilt lately by other razors, but I want my GD to be awesome! And it's just Meh. I'm just frustrated with it, because I worked on it for so long, and I'm not sure if I can do anything to improve it.

Every GD I have honed (ten or so) has taken a great edge except one. I don't remember what the model was but I just could not get much past hht3. Sounds like the one you have.

Great work Paco! Your the Man and dare I say "Honemeister"! :lol: And that is exactly why I sworn off the HHT. I have done away with my bag of hair extensions from the beauty salon and I will from this day forth not do another HHT. I think I have rehoned too many edges that were shaving nirvana all for the sake of splitting a hair that means nothing at shave time.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My apologies, I missed this thread till now.

PACO!!! Excellent job.

I traded a gold dollar for this razor with a new member. I have no more use for it. Lets get this going. Send it on to other brave souls.

Last edited:
YES

I found honing this razor frustrating, the scales horrible, and the shave almost adequate..., whats not to love. I think it is a pass around is a fine idea. :lol:

i found the scales horrible but the razor and shave were "satisfactory" and borderline "pleasant"........

i will shave with it tonight... then i will hone it up and send it to the first vict... i mean "participant" and see what happens....

Top Bottom