What's new

the KRYSTAL EDGE challenge....

been really busy.... i will get it to jeff soon as i can... i have a couple other things for him and i hate to pay separate shipping...

OK gents, the game is officially afoot... I received the suspect razor like object today from Paco... First impressions: Blade shape is clunky and inelegant from tang to tail... Blade is loose in the scales and there's lateral movement there. The HG actially looks decent on this sample It's relatively symmetrical from side to side (which I cannot say about many gold dollars). The "etch" if you can call it that, is very weak and looks like would be very easy to remove.

Scales are actually cool looking, but are very poorly executed. Clumsy shape, poor pinwork, spacer instead of a wedge... But the acrylic material looks really cool! a Scalesmith could easlily reprofile these and put in a proper wedge and correct pin job and it would be a really good looking razor (closed!). In my amateur opinion, this razor is every bit as good as a GD for a project blank. Spine it a little thinner though - this can be good or bad depending on your intentions as far as working the spine are concerned. Short of putting a micrometer on the blade, it *appears* to be straight and true though, and as the photos show, unlike a GD, this razor doesn't need heel work to put on the hones...

Tonight, I shave with the Korean Feather copy Kamisori. Tomorrow night it will be this razor, with nothing more than a strop (Cause I like Paco's edges) Then I'm going to take the edge down, recut it on my 1200 king, and put my edge on it and try again.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Ok, so going back and looking at this thread again, I have the list as follows:

Me
Seraphim
Tomjr

That's IT?!?!?!?! Surely there's other hapless souls that want to have a stab (or slice) of this fine instrument of death!

Actually, I'm a little bummed that I'm in front of Seraphim. Been wanting to try one of your edges for a while... Someday... Someday...

Ok guys, shave 1 is in the books.

Tonight I used Tabac and my Semogue 1438 brush. Gave the razor about 30 passes on the latigo and went to it.

3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG.

Pass 1 - WTG: My first impression was that the razor was crazy keen. It mowed down the stubble effortlessly and was nearly as close as the CJB Kamisori. What I also noticed though was that the edge was HARSH, and I'm pretty sure it exfoliated the crap out of me on that pass. Not very comfy. Not sure if it was the prep or the hone though. Finished up pass 1 with little incident.

Pass 2 - XTG: Before pass 2, I put the razor on my pasted canvas Paco Superstrop™ for 30 strokes. Tamed that harshness, and now it was super smooth and comfy. Now I have keen and smooth. XTG went off without a hitch.

Pass 3 - ATG: Again, no issues. Mowed through the stubble like a pro. Felt great and only one little weeper that stopped as soon as I splashed cold water on it.

Impressions: I like this blade. Great shaver for sure. HATE the profile of the tang and tail, and I really wish it had some jimping on it. With jimping it would be equal to a Gold Dollar. I think the grind work for this single samples is as good or better than the Gold Dollars.

Honing: After having a shave benchmark, I took the edge to glass and dulled it. Then I honed it with tape on the coticule, dilucot method. Honed VERY easily, although one side sounded different on the hone than the other. Finished it on the coti with 50 x-strokes. Then on to the Llyn Melynllyn on light slurry for 20 strokes. Then 20 x-strokes on the LM with water only. Then on to the Welsh Thuringian™ on slurry for 20 strokes, then 20 on water only, then 30 on oil.

The edge now pops hairs effortlessly, though I didn't do an official HHT. God I love that WT finisher...

Next I gave it 20 on CrOx pasted paddle strop, then 20/20 on a .25/.1 CBN pasted balsa, then 20 on linen, 30 on my Illinois 827, then 50 on my Latigo

Seems stupid sharp right now. We'll see tomorrow when I have some hair to shave!

Stay tuned.

Ok, so here's an update: I took the edge down on glass and rehoned with my progression above. Took a shave tonight.

So, I have to say, this is a pretty nice razor, but it ain't no Gold Dollar.

So again on the WTG pass, I got a lot of harshness... I was unpleasantly surprised at that. So, as a litmus test, I also shaved with the CJB Kamisori with a Feather blade, and my trusty old Le Grelot that always shaves superbly.

The Krystal razor was actually better on the XTG and ATG passes, but nowhere near the other two razors.

So, there's a couple of explanations: 1) this razor isn't as good of quality and can't give me a smooth shave. 2) my honing sucks. 3) my prep and soap was subpar. I honestly think the answer is somewhat a combination of the three, but again, I got extremely comfy results with the Le Grelot, so I'm not so sure.

In the end, I would certainly hone one of these up for a gift, or pimp one out... But, if I had my choice, I'd rather have a Gold Dollar.

Seraphim, PM me your address... I believe you are next. I would appreciate it if you would have a look at my honing job and give me some feedback before you do your magic.

Jeff

Got the razor today.

Jeff's hone job looks very nice!

Attachments

• $krystal edge recieved.jpg
    $krystal edge recieved.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Really? Or are you just being nice? :a30:

In all seriousness. Thanks for taking a look. Nice to know at least where I stand. I loves me CBN... What's that wonkyness on the far right though? That looks scratchy!!!

OK, Craig, put your magic on there and show us what a properly honed Krystal edge looks like!

Jeff

I am being serious. I spent a fair bit of time on the Krystal yesterday, going back to the DMT600 to reshape the heel a bit, and then started my usual progression.

My summary is that this is a pretty crappy razor!

I would not even compare this thing to a GD, as there is no comparrison.

The bevel angle is less than 14 degrees, which doesn't help matters at all. And the metal does not come around to a nice edge very easily. Which is why I indeed was impressed with the result you managed to achieve.

I'll work on it again today and see what comes of it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am being serious. I spent a fair bit of time on the Krystal yesterday, going back to the DMT600 to reshape the heel a bit, and then started my usual progression.

My summary is that this is a pretty crappy razor!

I would not even compare this thing to a GD, as there is no comparrison.

The bevel angle is less than 14 degrees, which doesn't help matters at all. And the metal does not come around to a nice edge very easily. Which is why I indeed was impressed with the result you managed to achieve.

I'll work on it again today and see what comes of it.

Compound bevel. Hone normally, no tape. Then...

Two layers of tape on the 1u film, 40 laps. Refresh the tape, 1ufilm over wet paper, 20 laps. Refresh the tape, .5u diamond or CrOx on balsa, 30-40 laps. Should gitter done if anything will. The too-small bevel is one place where tape can be of real use.

Compound bevel. Hone normally, no tape. Then...

Two layers of tape on the 1u film, 40 laps. Refresh the tape, 1ufilm over wet paper, 20 laps. Refresh the tape, .5u diamond or CrOx on balsa, 30-40 laps. Should gitter done if anything will. The too-small bevel is one place where tape can be of real use.

Can we get a mod? Someone has obviously hacked Slash's account. No way the real McCoy would ever reccomend taping the spine.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I will use tape when there is a reason to do so. Making a tool look like it has never been used, at the expense of functionality of the tool, is not a reason. A bevel that is too acute, IS a reason. In the case of a sub-14 degree bevel, a compound bevel ought to be just the thing to make it shave, if anything will.

I honed it with a single piece of tape as I thought the spine was a little thin for the blade size. I used Dilucot on the coti, then went to my Welsh Thuringian™ and then to .25u and then .1u CBN before stropping the ever-loving s**t out of it. I definitely thought it was keen, but it was harsh, and that progression usually leaves heavenly edges for me that are uber comfortable shaves.

Top Bottom