What's new

Conrad (Barbasol?) two-piece razor first impressions

Well I found a couple threads sort of requesting reviews of a plastic and metal two-piece Conrad when I was researching for an auction buy, so here's mine. I'm using a 7 O'Clock Yellow on its second shave here.

A couple initial findings. This was apparently one of those deals where someone made a razor for someone else to put their name on, but I don't know whether Barbasol made it for Conrad or vice versa. I know there are guys here who are rich with such information. My guess is Barbasol made it, because it's obviously a much more dominant company. I would think that might make this a more desirable razor for many, if it's true. Also, the base plate, because it's black like the handle, looks plastic in a lot of pics, but it's metal, and sounds like the same exact metal as on the Barbasol. The only differences in shape seem to be the Barbasol has a rounded bottom on the handle and not-exactly-round holes in the base plate. Barbasol, 33g; Conrad, 35g.

I quite like this one. It's a good, basic little razor. First up, I've been noticing lately that a lot of razors have a good amount of play or slop in the head so that the blade doesn't automatically or even very easily lock into a centered, even, parallel position. I don't like that at all, and I've started writing off such razors. Well, on that criterion, there are razors better than this one, and razors much worse, but ultimately it's reasonably easy to get the blade in place, and as someone who's fairly picky, I'm okay with it. It does sort of 'want' to go into the right place, but can sometimes be off a bit if you don't watch it.

Something else I like in a razor is a good kind of blade clearance where I can get under and around the nose pretty easily, and this one meets that need pretty well. There are one or two others I've tried where you could pretty much shave the bottom of your nose going N-S; this one isn't quite that much but is very good, good enough.

If razors are on a continuum from so smooth you wonder if you remembered to put a blade in, to where it gives you so much feedback it sort of drags with any kind of blade, more than some people might like, then this razor is just a wee bit farther from the smooth end of the continuum than I might like, but it's pretty close. I like some feedback; I don't generally enjoy a post-war Tech, but I also don't enjoy an SE with a Gem blade in it, if that helps. I like my R41. This Conrad on the third pass felt a little difficult ATG on my chin. I might be able to make that work, though, with a different blade or something. It's almost.

After three passes, WTG, XTG and ATG in certain areas, virtually no burn, certainly not enough for me to reach for the aftershave, which I only do when I am feeling that burn. I just put on basic facial moisturizer after I get out of the shower (where I shave) and dry off, and when I'm applying that is when I really can feel how close a shave I got. Really, very impressive! Closest one I've had in a while. And quite clean around the nose. I don't feel the term BBS is apt for any shave I've ever had in my life, but this was certainly a very DFS. Comfortable and close. I'm pleased.

I can easily recommend this for anyone who doesn't always need a tank of a razor. And if this head happens to be the same exact dimensions as some other model of Barbasol or Conrad with a metal handle (which I don't know, but you can compare pics with what's below), I would think the shave qualities would be somewhat similar.

Attachments

• $P1010006email.jpg
    $P1010006email.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 311
  • $P1010007email.jpg
    $P1010007email.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 313
  • $P1010001email.jpg
    $P1010001email.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 187
  • $P1010019email.jpg
    $P1010019email.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 187
Conrad manufactured the Clix that looks exactly like that.

Attachments

• $1087A.jpg
    $1087A.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 173
If anybody has one in good condition I would love one.

Mostly because my last name is Conrad. :001_wub:

Yeah, collect all the Conrads, Lephturn. I've seen other nice ones, too. I only just realized today that the Barbasol was exactly the same. I'll keep you in mind, maybe convince myself for sure that these do shave the same, and at that point, the one I'd want to keep is the Barbasol, so I'll let you know.

PM me if you would like one to go to a good home. :) I have a 2 year old son so I am going to make sure I keep one around to pass on to him. It's not something I'll ever sell.

I'm looking to find one that has "CONRAD" on the top plate like yours. I've seen a couple but did not get them on the bay.

Thanks for the reply Porky Pine. :)

Top Bottom