What's new

Disassembled my first Fat Boy...Not for the faint of heart

I got hold of a pretty worn Fat Boy so I decided to try and dismantle it. The take-down link (http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html) showed the "how to" in great detail. He also made a comment on "...so you think that razor you got was cleaned and sanitized..."?
Well. this one, the adjuster dial was frozen so I took it apart and found what appeared to be concrete. This stuff was so hard that no matter what boiling or solution I used, it wouldn't budge. In fact, submersing it in any kind of solution seemed to make it HARDER.

I was finally able to get most of it off by using gun cleaning solvent and a wire brush, and a few hours of scrubbing, followed by a CLR bath. Talk about gross!

Attachments

• $Gillette Fat Boy 1960 F2 Case (before)3.jpg
    $Gillette Fat Boy 1960 F2 Case (before)3.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 230
  • $Gillette Fat Boy 1960 F2 Case (before)7.jpg
    $Gillette Fat Boy 1960 F2 Case (before)7.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 232
  • $IMG_2654.jpg
    $IMG_2654.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 228
  • $IMG_2655.jpg
    $IMG_2655.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 231
  • $IMG_2656.jpg
    $IMG_2656.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Now the after:

Attachments

• $IMG_2659.jpg
    $IMG_2659.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 231
  • $IMG_2661.jpg
    $IMG_2661.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 232
  • $IMG_2662.jpg
    $IMG_2662.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 231
  • $IMG_2663.jpg
    $IMG_2663.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 228
Wow, that top picture is nasty, makes me want to disassemble mine and remove any build up of goo that may be under the head.

Nice job on the clean up, looks great.

I used a set of Allen Keys with Handles to removes the shaft parts . The flat bottom worked well and i didn't need to use vice grips (well i did and ruined the finish DOH ) I held it with my hands which hurt quite a bit , but didn't ruin the texture any more .

Very nice work on the clean up! Wow! Looks like some sort of industrial compound that we should market. I just got a FatBoy but it is pretty clean. I'm not gutsy enough to try a disassembly just yet.

I'd Love to clean mine that way, but boy as you said not for the faint at heart. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Nice save! Just a suggestion: Marvel Mystery Oil (@ WalMart) or Kroil, heated for +/- 2 minutes in the microwave does much better than usual solvent and acidic/basic cleansers.

With a bit of touch-up on the pits, I'd say you have an excellent replate candidate.

I'm pretty sure that one benefited from being taken apart. Anyways, nice work. You always seem to appreciate the things you have to work for.

Top Bottom