What's new

Need advice on potential Wade and Butcher purchase

So I stop into the local antiques mall this afternoon. I find a pretty sweet looking Wade and Butcher straight with a lovely patina, no rust, undetectable hone wear and a big, fat honking blade with a barber's notch and a nice natural smile to the back of the blade and to the pristine edge. It's just lovely. It comes with these horn scales, and see, here's the problem: The scales have a guy's name -- probably a Britton's name, because it's hyphenated -- etched into one of the scales.

I'm thinking of buying it. Vendor wasn't in to haggle with me, and she wants $60 for the thing. I'm going to offer her something for it, but I'm worried about the scales. I wonder whether there's anything I can do to either hide the name or reduce it's impact on the whole thing.

I recognize that there's nothing "wrong" with a razor that has a little character to it. I just don't know what to do. It'll be my second straight razor. I just have a good feeling about the razor. It calls to me. Still, I'm on the fence. Any suggestions would be of great assistance.

I have a few with engraved names, and personally i like it? it adds to the history puzzle and i think it may even make them more collectable IN TIME. or as already stated you could very easily rescale them, I'd buy it if its calling you!

What makes you think it's a British name just because it's hyphonated? You're probably right, as it's a Sheffield blade, but still, we're not all posh gits over here y'know :laugh:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The big money blades are the 9/8s. 7/8's don't seem to fetch as much. If it is in good condition 60.00 would be a fair price. If it turns out to be 8/8 or bigger, 60.00 is a good deal. :)

How deep is the etching? I've seen owned a few that have had numbers scratched into them (maybe a barber's way of keeping track). A few of them were scratched in shallow enough to sand out.

In short, if it's calling you Keith, you better answer.

Well, I went back to the antique mall this afternoon and made an offer. I took home the Wade and Butcher. Horn scales are etched into on both sides -- something I didn't realize until I looked at it again today. Oh, and no barber's notch. Must have gotten that confused with the other Wade and Butcher. That's okay. I really like the blade, and I can live with the etching at least for the time being.

The tang reads, "Manufactured by Wade and Butcher Sheffield." Below is the circle B, then an arrow with three hash marks for fletching, then the cross. I did some research. Could it even be possible that this razor is from prior to 1890? My brief research indicates this because it hasn't the word, "England," but I fear I can't trust my research. Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm sorry I can't post a picture, because I can't get my phone and my computer to synch up.

The tang reads, "Manufactured by Wade and Butcher Sheffield." Below is the circle B, then an arrow with three hash marks for fletching, then the cross. I did some research. Could it even be possible that this razor is from prior to 1890? My brief research indicates this because it hasn't the word, "England," but I fear I can't trust my research

Ding, ding, ding.

How widen is it by the way?

Top Bottom