What's new

How'd a Pekingese Win Best in Show?

I generally don't like the over-domesticated look of some of the breeds in these dog shows. Even that German Shepard is way over-bred to have that low hind, maybe some people get their kicks from seeing that but it has no utility when it comes to the effectiveness of the dog to herd, actually it makes the dog slower and makes it harder for the dog to work in certain types of terrain. Look up the working-strain of the GSD and you will see what that breed is supposed to look like. This rant is not limited to GSD but it is probably the most obvious breed to use to point out the distasteful breeding of show dogs.

Hunting dogs are my favorites, they are pretty close to what they should be, and I'm particularly partial to German Short-haired Pointers.

+1 Sporting breeds for the win!

We've got a Hungarian Vizsla (you know, she'd never place with that bump on her head), a blue Weimaraner (dear God, he's Blue! You can't show him!), and as of last November, a German Shorthair Pointer (he's too small and his nose is too calloused from, of all things, pheasant hunting!).

I liken this phenomena to the suburban, soccer mom cruising around in a jacked-up, tricked-out SUV. I laugh...so that I don't cry.

Top Bottom