What's new

Speick Shave Stick?

So, starting as a noob in Sept. 2011, I ordered a tube of Speick and hated the smell. Shaved twice and then sold it. BUT, I'd heard that the stick has a different smell. So, for you-know-what's and giggles, I ordered a stick. The smell was different! It seemed more spicy to me. And it's a smell I could use as an AS or cologne if it smelled like the stick and not the cream. Any thoughts, Speick lovers?
Yes, I know there are samples out there by Garry and S&S, but I'd like feedback before I plop down cash.
Thanks in advance B&B'ers!

The AS does not smell like the stick: it's rather like an old-fashioned citrussy cologne. To my nose it resembles 4711 rather a lot, but I'm working from memory here as I haven't smelt 4711 in decades. But it's a fine generic fragrance to wear, perfect for spring or cool summer days.

The AS fades very, very quick. I'm not particularly keen on the smell, but it works great and because the scent is gone within a minute I don't mind the smell.

4711 is a lot sweeter. My oldest daughter told me it smells like Fruit Loops. The cologne is very light, but with the toned down AS scent. I double up with the AS splash and balm. The balm just might be the best I've ever used. It softens and hydrates like no other product I have used.

Shoot, I have 4711 cologne and I'm not liking the smell. It'll be sold soon. I'm just glad that the Speick stick doesn't leave much of a smell, so it doesn't compete with any AS or cologne I choose.

I find the Speick A/S to be a lot less spicy than the stick, but to my nose nothing like 4711. It is however a wonderfully effective A/S but the scent fades VERY quickly. When I use the A/S it doesn't interfere with any cologne I choose to wear.

The AS fades very, very quick. I'm not particularly keen on the smell, but it works great and because the scent is gone within a minute I don't mind the smell.
On me I can easily detect it for many hours after applying. Just one of those olfactory weird things, I guess... But since I like it, I don't mind its longevity at all. Sure wish it was a bit cheaper, though. €13 a bottle is kinda expensive for a mix of scented alcohol and witch hazel extract; even if it does work perfectly, and thanks to the arrival of several bio supermarkets in this little town of mine, is now available locally.

@all: I stand corrected on the 4711-resemblence. As I said, it's been a long time since I smelt 4711.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Speick is one of the very best sticks avaialble. Great scent, great lather, great shave, great post-shave feeling IMHO. On a side note, looking at the ingredients list, I just discovered two days ago that it does contain Lavender Oil!

Speick is one of the very best sticks avaialble. Great scent, great lather, great shave, great post-shave feeling IMHO. On a side note, looking at the ingredients list, I just discovered two days ago that it does contain Lavender Oil!

After seeing it in your SOTD on Monday, Marco, I took the liberty of ordering one, plus the AS, from somewhere unmentionable. I'm curious on this scent.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
After seeing it in your SOTD on Monday, Marco, I took the liberty of ordering one, plus the AS, from somewhere unmentionable. I'm curious on this scent.

David, it was a long time I hadn't used Speick stick, for some unknown reason. Monday's shave was exceptional and I'm happy about this "re-discover". Please, let me know your thoughts as soon as you get yours.

David, it was a long time I hadn't used Speick stick, for some unknown reason. Monday's shave was exceptional and I'm happy about this "re-discover". Please, let me know your thoughts as soon as you get yours.

Will do, Marco, assuming you will have time to visit B&B in the next few days! I know it's not long now.:001_smile

I find the Speick A/S to be a lot less spicy than the stick, but to my nose nothing like 4711. It is however a wonderfully effective A/S but the scent fades VERY quickly. When I use the A/S it doesn't interfere with any cologne I choose to wear.

+1. Speick is the aftershave that is the most soothing of all the ones I've tried. I use it more often than any of my others and is my go to AS after any kind of rough shave. I don't know if it's the alum, glycerine or speick extract, but is very soothing and is great for razor burn. The scent, while pleasant, is very short lived and never clashes with my cologne. I have a more than a dozen different aftershaves and Speick gets used nearly as much as the rest combined. Between it and 4711, they account for about 5 days out of a typical week. I'm waiting on a bottle of Floid, so I'm curious to how it stacks up. I ordered it to put my WCS order over $80 in order to qualify for free shipping.

Mike

I had the same experience. I gave the cream away, but I ordered a stick and love the scent and performance. If you don't like the cream, PLEASE try the soap. The scent is, IMO, very different.

Once I got a properly hydrated lather from my Speick stick I was quite pleased. I am a little sad to hear that the AS smells different. I really would do anything for an AS that smells like the stick. I have the cream too, i haven't used it yet though, so we will see where i stand on that soon enough.

i get great lather from the stick and it's a very masculine scent, but i don't think it's for me right now... maybe in 25 years... it reeks of my 5th grade teacher in the late eighties that everyone thought was so suave and rocked a molestache... what is that stink? is that lavender? i totally didn't get anything of a spice scent in the soap..

the A/S sounds interesting from Joels review though...

I've only tried the stick and ended up grating into a bowl as I liked the scent and performance but using it as a stick didn't work for me. Well, it worked, I just don't like lathering that way. Never tried the aftershave but it seems that a lot of manufacturers do not keep a consistent scent throughout their product line.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Can't offer any input on the A/S or cologne, but the stick will NEVER be out of my rotation. Great lather and scent. It must be my body chemistry, because I can still smell the lather on my face 4 hours later (good thing). I don't use after shave when I use speick soap.

Top Bottom