What's new

Grinder Help? Have Aeropress can't find right grinder

UPDATE: I pulled the trigger on a Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder, I'll send it back if it doesn't work well- but I thought it was worth a try.

... I had a GE grinder from wal-mart and loved it because it had two blades, stainless removable grinding chamber, and would grind very fine and never have the grounds stick in the chamber- but it gave up and died on me- in typical wal-mart style it is no longer made. Now, I've been looking on Amazon, Wal-mart, ect. and can't find anything close. So.. I'm in desperate need of a good grinder recomendaion. I really want a removable grinding chamber that is easy to pour out of into my Aeropress . Thanks in advance if you can help- Ben
P.S. Don't want to break the bank- I already have a bad shaving habit- maybe under $80

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that you bought something. If you grow tired of that manual grinder (I think the Kyocera is hand grinder, right?), then I recommend the Bodum Bistro grinder. It's not high end, and some say that it doesn't work well for espresso. But for the Aeropress, I think it works great for one reason . . . the container for the grinds has a lid on it with a round hole in the middle. This makes it very easy and convenient to dump and shake the coffee into the Aeropress chamber without spilling the coffee all over the place. Just hold the container (with the lid on) on top of the chamber, shake rattle and roll, and you are done.

Very clean and convenient.

I'm not crazy about the grind quality from the Bodum Antigua, personally, but don't know much about the Bistro.

The Aeropress should be relatively forgiving about which grinder you use. If you are upgrading from one of those 2 bladed whirly grinders then you should be happy with your purchase. As the grind will be more uniform.

I would go for the mini-mill instead. More consistent grind quality at coarser (anything above "very fine") settings.

I've been using my Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder for a couple of weeks now and really like it. The only problem is I tend to grind at night so I have a fast morning brew which can defeat the purpose of fresh ground a little. It does take a little work and cleaning is done by taking the whole thing apart- so I only tend to do that once a week or so. If I just grind for myself I can grind in 2min. but if my wife gets in on coffee ( she likes the carmel syrup, yadda,yadda, yadda coffee ) then it takes me 3-4 min to grind which in the morning can seem like work but over all I enjoy it and I'm drinking a lot more tea later in the day anyway- thanks to this forum.

Easy for me to say, but I would get up 2 minutes earlier and grind before brewing. I'm no typically one to go half-way with things, but the difference is pretty profound here.

Unfortunately, there's no real quick, easy, cheap, quiet, clean way to make great coffee. I might spend a total of 20 minutes on coffee some days (set up, tear down, clean up of a vac pot takes time). Luckily I have good sleepers in my house :-]

Top Bottom