What's new

type of olive oil used in olive oil soaps

is there any difference between the types of olive oil used in soaps? I see some make olive oil soap with pomace olive oil and others make it with pure olive oil or extra virgin olive oil.

I've never seen soap made with EVOO, and believe me, I've looked.

To make soap, producers either use Pomace (chemically extracted oil) or the oil from fallen olives (dead fruit).

If you are interested in learning more about Olive oil, a good starting point is the book, Extra Virginity.

There is a true shortage of 'real' EVOO in the world, so I'm doubtful it can be used to make soap. Dead cost before profit of one liter of 'user grade' EVOO is about $8 US.

Sorry, the way I stated my point was weak. I've seen people that 'claimed' to use EVOO in soap making, but the problem is the proof. 90-95% of EVOO sold in stores isn't even EVOO; I guess you can call me a skeptic. It would be nice if they could show exactly the oil they are using and where it was sourced from because there is no Global standard for classifying olive oil as EVOO, there is a lot of mystery behind it; that's why all the olive oil I consume, I make sure I know exactly the source and the farm and the producer, at the very minimum through friends and family.

Maybe it does exist, I just want to see proof of what exactly the input oil is.

Those prices seem right, I would imagine a 5-6oz real EVOO bar of soap costing in the neighborhood or $7-10 at least.

Last edited:
Sorry, the way I stated my point was weak. I've seen people that 'claimed' to use EVOO in soap making, but the problem is the proof. 90-95% of EVOO sold in stores isn't even EVOO; I guess you can call me a skeptic. It would be nice if they could show exactly the oil they are using and where it was sourced from because there is no Global standard for classifying olive oil as EVOO, there is a lot of mystery behind it; that's why all the olive oil I consume, I make sure I know exactly the source and the farm and the producer, at the very minimum through friends and family.

Maybe it does exist, I just want to see proof of what exactly the input oil is.

Those prices seem right, I would imagine a 5-6oz real EVOO bar of soap costing in the neighborhood or $7-10 at least.

I have heard the same thing from a local olive farmer....nothing wrong with pomace oil soap ,I would not use it for cooking.Rice bran oil is best for frying,it produces zero trans fat ,is high temp stable,and has scientifically been proven to actually reduce cholesterol levels in humans..it also is a fine general baking oil....second best for frying is grapeseed oil.....best dipping olive oil is a personal taste choice..for me I love a super robusto grassy flavor with as much pepper in the back of the throat as I can get,many others like the smooth "buttery" olive oils...

I have heard the same thing from a local olive farmer....nothing wrong with pomace oil soap ,I would not use it for cooking.Rice bran oil is best for frying,it produces zero trans fat ,is high temp stable,and has scientifically been proven to actually reduce cholesterol levels in humans..it also is a fine general baking oil....second best for frying is grapeseed oil.....best dipping olive oil is a personal taste choice..for me I love a super robusto grassy flavor with as much pepper in the back of the throat as I can get,many others like the smooth "buttery" olive oils...

Although we don't fry much in our house, I agree, Rice bran and grapeseed oil are both far better frying oil alternative. Plus, good olive is too expensive to waste for frying.

Pomace oil makes excellent soap. I'd rather use my evoo for eating. Refined is a bit pricer but good if you are looking for a whiter base, since pomace oil can be a bit green. Other than that I don't think it makes much difference, really. Soap is a "wash off" product - it's not like a lotion or something that has a chance to be absorbed into the skin.

I used olivella soap before which is virgin olive oil from Italy. The soap has glycerin in it. I guess the way some people make olive oil soap depends on whether the glycerin will remain. The person who I emailed about the olive oil soap from Greece said that they use kettles and the hot process method to make their olive oil soaps. The soaps I use from France and Greece take the glycerin out, but not by accident. I think it's just the way they make their soap is the reason why the glycerin doesn't stay in the soap. People need to be careful, because sometimes people will say they make their soap with pure olive oil when in truth they are using pomace olive oil. Pure olive oil is refined olive oil mixed with extra virgin olive oil I believe.

I came across this site because I've only ever made soap using EVOO, and I wanted to research the difference. I purchase all of my plant butters and oils through legitimate sources, as counterfeit oils are a huge problem today. I also incorporate natural plant butters and oils into soaps, along with a sweet beer or ale, or perhaps a desert wine. To resell would be too expensive for most, due to the ingredients I like to use, which are mostly organic, cold-pressed, and many unrefined. The good ones, which are lab certified, are costly but super effective, but peeps got to be willing to pay.

I like kiss my face, olive oil soap..Unknown what type of olive oil..There's soap maker called an wild soap bar, that uses e.v.o.o but you pay around 8.00 a 4.5 oz bar..

Companies usually want to save money so they wont use EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). For that reason I make my own treatment. Usually I add some more herbs to help my hair growth (being a female this is important) however you can heat up 1/2c-1c of EVOO for a few seconds in the microwave. When done, let it cool for a few seconds so it isnt too hot. Apply to your hair in sections but concentrate on your scalp massaging it in. Let sit as long as possible (I cover my hair and sit overnight) but at least 20min. When you are ready to wash it out just rinse and follow up with a shampoo/conditioner. :) If you are looking to go all natural there are some really good shikakai bars that have added benefits like amla.

Top Bottom