What's new

The Left Behind…Post Your Lonely Travel Techs

When I was do my “rounds” at the local antique stores I always notice the odd travel Tech gathering dust behind the counter or on a shelf. As with any razors, they can be under priced (what we love) or severely overpriced (I’ve seen them for $50). However, there is one thing that they all have in common, they seem to be left behind.

When you start collecting razors your inevitably are going to acquire some of these little guys. As I was organizing my ever growing collection I started looking at my little travel Techs that I’ve adopted and starting to realize that those lil’ suckers are pretty darn cute! The shave quality of these razors are similar to the full sized brother but the handle is a bit cumbersome to hold.

Recent posts and ever-growing prices on these overlooked gems inspired me to post a few of my travel Techs. These razors are like old Happy Meal toys, there were so many different varieties that I’m curious to see the distinct travel Techs that were produced over the years. Post your travel Techs!

Here are the usual suspects you'll find (sorry for lack of pic quality, my older kid has the good camera)

Attachments

• $TravelTechs1.jpg
    $TravelTechs1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 818
  • $Traveltechs2.jpg
    $Traveltechs2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 820
  • $Traveltechenglish.jpg
    $Traveltechenglish.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 807
  • $traveltechssmall.jpg
    $traveltechssmall.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 817
Yes i have had a few of these in my days as well, Here is a set i got a few weeks ago. Acutually i got it on Ebay and the seller was Member here. Check it out.

Attachments

• $Gillette Travel Set Brown Case Closed.jpg
    $Gillette Travel Set Brown Case Closed.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 750
  • $Gillette Travel Tech Hand Held Open.jpg
    $Gillette Travel Tech Hand Held Open.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 762
  • $Gillette Travel Tech Open Showing Knife.jpg
    $Gillette Travel Tech Open Showing Knife.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 751
  • $Gillette Travel Tech Razor Close up.jpg
    $Gillette Travel Tech Razor Close up.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 753
  • $Gillette Travel Tech Showing Comb and Griffon Signature.jpg
    $Gillette Travel Tech Showing Comb and Griffon Signature.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 748
Well I can't seem to find the razor for this. I bought it for $5 for my two and four year old to play with and they seem to have it hidden somewhere. It's the same handle as your two shorties. The main thing is the variety of cases for these razors anyways.
$026.jpg$027.jpg

I confess that when I first started looking for old Gillettes I was drawn to these little critters. Here three I picked. I haven't picked any others...Promise!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's the Travel Tech that I picked up here on BST. It gets some use when I do travel, but as you can see in the picture flanked by my Merkur HD Barber Pole razor, it's quite a bit smaller than I'm used to but it still shaves well.

$Travel Tech.jpg$IMAG0095-1.jpg$IMAG0096-1.jpg

Can't wait to get my next one. It's a minty gold Tech in Pok-Kit case. We've gotten a few inches of snow in the San Bernardino mountains and I haven't had time to go to the post office. The post office can deliver mail to the bottom of the Grand Canyon but can't get it to my residence (2 miles from the post office). :sad:

It's interesting that one finds a good number of these that are clearly not used (often with the paper "blade" still in place). I imagine they were given as gifts a lot, and just left in the drawer by the recipient.

It's interesting that one finds a good number of these that are clearly not used (often with the paper "blade" still in place). I imagine they were given as gifts a lot, and just left in the drawer by the recipient.

I wish I find an Executive or Bottom-dial like this. But seriously, I have found Ferragamo ties, and vintage Swank cufflinks with price tags still on them for fraction of the original cost.

Just picked up the unusual blue one today. Never seen it in a square plastic "case". The red was a find with my wife. It was our first find toghther. Great memories that day.

Attachments

• $travel.jpg
    $travel.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 618
  • $travel2.jpg
    $travel2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 617
  • $travel3.jpg
    $travel3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 616
I whipped up the "Thimble Tech" a couple of years ago as a further downsizing, and incorporated the razor into a travel sewing kit....:wink2:

(note - even has a plug in magnet for retrieving loose needles or blades!)

Attachments

• $017.jpg
    $017.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 582
  • $016.jpg
    $016.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 587
I saw a Travel Tech today in a kit with a hairbrush, toothbrush, pack of Gillette blades, and some Williams brushless cream for $8.

Top Bottom