What's new

Newbie from Metro Detroit

I've been an electric razor user for most of my 32 years. I've had two gifted to me and they were rather quick and easy. Lately I've found I have been getting a lot of irritation, especially on my neck, when using it. So, I read a thread in a cigar forum I frequent (CigarAsylum) about wet shaving. The guys there referred me here for more information.

Since I first decided to give this a try I've made a few purchases. I picked up a 50's Gillette DE razor. Not sure which model. I also picked up a Van Der Hagen starter kit from Amazon that came with a mug, a puck of shave soap, a purge badger brush, and a drying stand for the brush and razor. I was given a 5 pack of Schick Shark blades when I bought my razor. I also picked up a 10 pack of Meijer brand blades at my local Meijer. I think they're made by Personna but, I'm not sure and I haven't tried them out yet.

So far I've only had about 6 shaves since converting but, I'm not going back. I actually enjoy shaving now. Although I am still learning and my technique is not where it needs to be yet. I have only had 3 nicks total and no weepers but I have had some burning and red skin after trying my first two ATG passes. Now, I didn't jump right into them, they were pass #4 on my last two shaves. I have done 1 WTG, 2 XTG, then ATG. I think I was applying unneeded pressure when shaving on attempt #5. I was very conscious of this last night on #6 and things improved. I got little if any red, but still some burn afterward. My only prep has been a warm wet towel or a shower. My only AS has been a balm by Neutrogena which claims no alcohol and is for sensitive skin. Although it seems to burn as it dries. Not sure if that is just a little razor burn or the balm bugging my skin. Anyway, my beard growth is light. I only shave about every other day and couldn't grow a goatee or moustache to save my life let alone a full beard. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

I'm glad to be here and I look forward learning the art of the shave.

Mike

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B, Mike. There's lots of good advice here. One thing I learned is to hold off on the ATG pass until technique is consistently good, i.e., proper razor angle and NO pressure. After many years of electric shaving it took a few weeks for all the bumps and ingrown hair on my neck to go away. I don't think the balm should be bugging your skin. Maybe switch to another one like Nivea ASB for Sensitive Skin. Enjoy your shave.

Welcome to B&B. Sounds like you're off to a good start. I find that my AS balms sting when I apply them right after shaving as well. You might want to pick up some witch hazel to splash on before I apply the balm. It seems to calm my skin down a lot. I have pretty sensitive skin and I use either Dickinson's or just the cheap stuff from the pharmacy. It's got 10% alcohol I believe but it really doesn't burn at all when I splash it on. Another suggestion is to use cold water to rinse your face between passes and for the final rinse. It not only soothes the skin but it also seems to tighten it up during the shave, resulting in a closer shave. Keep it up!

Welcome to B&B. I'd say you will save money with DE shaving but you won't haha. It will however be much for fun.

Welcome! Something that is working for me is to try as many razors, blades, soaps/creams, and aftershaves as you can get your hands on. Sampler packs/ sample sizes of products are a newbie's friend. Blade trades through B&B marketplace can be a cheap way to try lots of blades without having to buy a lot without knowing how they will perform. Buy different razors you find interesting. If you don't like them, you can recoup the costs by selling them here or on ebay. Then you can test multiple combinations of razor and blades.

Also, if something doesn't work for you right away, set it aside and try it again as your skills increase. I've had a lot of razors/blades/creams that I wasn't wild about make a strong comeback at a later date.

Top Bottom