What's new

Simpson Chubby questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 48987
  • Start date
Ultimately, the size you prefer will be based on individual factors and preferences. That being said, I will note there is a difference within the Chubby line between the two-band and three-band versions. I have owned all three Chubby sizes in both two-band and three-band versions. Generally, the three-band versions have a denser knot with softer tips that bloom more. The two-band versions have a less dense knot, in comparison to their respective three-band counterparts, less bloom and soft tips, but not quite as soft as the three-band. Having used all, my personal preference is for the two-band varieties. I currently have five two-band Simpsons in my rotations -- Chubbby 1, Chubby 2, Chubby 3, Tulip 3 and Polo 8. Of the Chubbies, my personal preference is for the Chubby 1 or Chubby 2. The Chubby 1 handle is somewhat small in the hand, but the brush works incredibly well, especially for face-lathering soaps. The Chubby 2 is more substantial in the hand, and also an excellent performer.

Last edited:
I agree with some of the others that it is all about personal preference, there is no right answer really. I love both my Chubby 2 in best and Chubby 3 Super two band. The CH3 is a large brush but I don't think it is overly large because of the lack of bloom of the two band knot. It is a soap eater but is worth owning and using as part of my regular rotation. My Chubby 2 is the perfect size handle and knot for me but the best hair is scritchy. I do not face lather with this brush but it bowl lathers wonderfully. If I could only choose two brushes to own, it would be my Chubby 2 in best and I would buy a Chubby 2 super three band. One for bowl lathering and one for face lathering. Here are a few pictures so you can get another size comparison, along with Mark's picture of his marvelous brushes. Jeremy-

$Brush comp.jpg

$Brush comp2.jpg

I agree with some of the others that it is all about personal preference, there is no right answer really. I love both my Chubby 2 in best and Chubby 3 Super two band. The CH3 is a large brush but I don't think it is overly large because of the lack of bloom of the two band knot. It is a soap eater but is worth owning and using as part of my regular rotation. My Chubby 2 is the perfect size handle and knot for me but the best hair is scritchy. I do not face lather with this brush but it bowl lathers wonderfully. If I could only choose two brushes to own, it would be my Chubby 2 in best and I would buy a Chubby 2 super three band. One for bowl lathering and one for face lathering. Here are a few pictures so you can get another size comparison, along with Mark's picture of his marvelous brushes. Jeremy-

View attachment 221026

View attachment 221027

Awfully nice line-up there...with good advice to boot!

D

Deleted member 48987

Thanks for all your responses, I really appreciate it. Cessnabird, if I understood correctly, you're saying the chubby 2 super 3 band is your ideal face latherer?

View attachment 221026

View attachment 221027

I have the Chubby 1, 2, and 3 - all in Super. They are like children, so I try not to show preference for one over another. And I don't have to. You, on the other hand, want to choose just one. The simplest answer is the Goldilocks and the Three Bears rule - get the CH2.

And don't get distracted by the cost. I've depreciated this one down to less than a penny a shave:

$Chubby 3 Super.jpg

D

Deleted member 48987

I'm just asking which of your children went to Harvard and which barely got through high school. But seriously, would you recommend super 2 band?

I have the Chubby 1, 2, and 3 - all in Super. They are like children, so I try not to show preference for one over another. And I don't have to. You, on the other hand, want to choose just one. The simplest answer is the Goldilocks and the Three Bears rule - get the CH2.

And don't get distracted by the cost. I've depreciated this one down to less than a penny a shave:

View attachment 221045

Thanks for all your responses, I really appreciate it. Cessnabird, if I understood correctly, you're saying the chubby 2 super 3 band is your ideal face latherer?

Yes, if I had to choose one Chubby for face lathering, it would be a Chubby 2 three band Super. Oooh, in a butterscotch handle! "drooling"...

I'd like to say thanks for all the responses in this thread. I just bought myself a Chubby 2 in Best. I'm sure it will force at least one Simpsons out the door at my house.

I'd like to say thanks for all the responses in this thread. I just bought myself a Chubby 2 in Best. I'm sure it will force at least one Simpsons out the door at my house.

Exactly the brush I have (just saw this thread) and have been considering the purchase of another just to switch back and forth while one dries. How many of us buy 2 of the same brushes to actually use in our rotation?!

marty

Exactly the brush I have (just saw this thread) and have been considering the purchase of another just to switch back and forth while one dries. How many of us buy 2 of the same brushes to actually use in our rotation?!marty

That's like being a polygamist with twin sisters...I'd prefer a bit of variety.

My current Chubbies. I love them all: Chubby 1 in best, Chubby 2 Manchurian, Chubby 3 in best, Chubby 2 in best, Chubby 3 in super.

[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 48987

Can you comment on their differences in feel and performance?

It's unfortunately not consistent. Except in the case of the Manchurian, which has very rigid 2 banded badger hair with reasonably soft tips, the supers are sometimes softer and in other cases the best are. The performance is exemplarary. They paint a wide swath and are soft but not at all floppy. Some are more the flat top variety and others the light bulb variant. Just gut feel, my number 1 would be the 3 banded super followed by the Chubby 1 Best based on hair feel, fitness of purpose, and overall enjoyment. There is a lot of subjective emotion in why we enjoy one brush over another.

D

Deleted member 48987

Can you give your opinion on the best suited for soaps and face lathering as well?

View attachment 221026

View attachment 221027

Im actually trying to decide on a CH2 in Best or 2 band.. not considering the Super 3 band currently because Im looking for something that will illicit some beard lifting, exfoliating, scrubbing type of action. In your honest opinion, which hair grade will deliver the goods in that dept, the Best or 2 band??

Bravado13, I think for a scrubbier brush and good exfoliating, in general, I would go with the 2 band super, although the best also would do a good job. In some ways, you're really dependent on the quality of badger hair that Simpson has in stock. The quality and characteristics of the badger hair vary considerably depending on time of the year and quality of the badger hair lot. We're really splitting badger hairs here; either choice is a good one.

Squatzilla, I would apply the same reasoning for soaps and face lathering. The 2 band super would be an excellent choice. I use Somerset era brushes which have a different profile, a different set of characteristics than the modern Simfix brushes, which in my experience tend to be stiffer and coarser, some would say prickly. In my opinion, the Somerset era hair is much softer, not prickly, yet still have fantastic backbone.

Bravado13, I think for a scrubbier brush and good exfoliating, in general, I would go with the 2 band super, although the best also would do a good job. In some ways, you're really dependent on the quality of badger hair that Simpson has in stock. The quality and characteristics of the badger hair vary considerably depending on time of the year and quality of the badger hair lot. We're really splitting badger hairs here; either choice is a good one.

Squatzilla, I would apply the same reasoning for soaps and face lathering. The 2 band super would be an excellent choice. I use Somerset era brushes which have a different profile, a different set of characteristics than the modern Simfix brushes, which in my experience tend to be stiffer and coarser, some would say prickly. In my opinion, the Somerset era hair is much softer, not prickly, yet still have fantastic backbone.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and perspectives and I actually decided to jump on a Duke 3/ 2-band a member offered me which will at least give me a feel for Simpsons 2 bands with out spending the bigger bucks on the CH2 2 band which depending on how I feel about the 2 band, I may just get in Best.. MAYBE.. something tells me I may prefer the 2 bands due to my new found appreciation for face lathering.

D

Deleted member 48987

Paul, thanks for the wisdom. Would you prefer the chubby 2 for face lathering? Also, I have a persian jar 3 in best. How does that compare to chubbies?

Top Bottom