What's new

Work Shoes for standing Help!

Need some advice about work shoes.

My job requires me to stand on my feet for the vast majority of the time on a hard concrete floor.

I'm looking for something that is non-slip, light weight and doesn't have to be steel toe.

However, I don't mind steel toe shoes.

Any suggestions and where could I buy them.

Thanks,

The Red Wing Store.

Do you have to stay in one spot, or are you moving around ?
They make anti fatigue mats to lay on the floor if you can stay in one spot. Snap On tools sells them, but I bet there are other, cheaper alternatives. They feel very good.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
what sort of shoes are you looking for? The "steel toes optional" suggests that dress shoes are 'out', but are you looking for a Doc Marten type? Or "work boots"? ... or ???

The Red Wing Store.

Do you have to stay in one spot, or are you moving around ?
They make anti fatigue mats to lay on the floor if you can stay in one spot. Snap On tools sells them, but I bet there are other, cheaper alternatives. They feel very good.

For the most part I stay in one spot.

They have those mentioned fatigue mats at work but they seem to hurt my feet.

what sort of shoes are you looking for? The "steel toes optional" suggests that dress shoes are 'out', but are you looking for a Doc Marten type? Or "work boots"? ... or ???

I was thinking of an oxford style shoe.

Not too heavy and if it has a steel toe that would be nice.

Definitely a shoe and not a boot which would be to heavy.

I have a back problem the doctor recommended ,sketches shape UPS he said these are good for your back if your on your feet alot. The sketches outlet store had a pair leather slip on nice and plain for about $50

I have a back problem the doctor recommended ,sketches shape UPS he said these are good for your back if your on your feet alot. The sketches outlet store had a pair leather slip on nice and plain for about $50

Would you have a website I could go to.

Thanks,

Yea, rubber mats don't work very well for me, either.

I'm on my feet anywhere from 11-14 hours a day in an environment that can be very slippery. I prefer boots to oxford style shoes in my situation, and the best I've worn so far have been soft-toe 6" Wolverine Durashocks. I used to love Red Wing - and still do love their US made products - but their quality is now a little spotty and their "slip resistant" styles can vary quite a bit. These Wolverines haven't let me down.

These are the ones I have; very comfortable in almost any situation and after any number of hours:

http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Durashocks-Resistant-Soft-Toe-Boots/dp/B000IEU0AI/ref=sr_1_2?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1329181995&sr=1-2

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
When visiting our customer's plants, we always need to wear safety shoes. In the last five years I have been wearing Florsheim Safety shoes, they have a non-metallic toe cap, and are quite good looking. Since I also mostly be on my feet all day long, often on concrete or steel cat walks, these shoes can be worn all day. They are very comfy and have an "airbag" as well as very nicely cushioned inlay soles. Check them out:

http://www.safeshoes.com/product/FS2430.htm

They do not look like safety shoes, and I wear them often on the flight to my customers.

http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/dspNavCategory.cfm?rootID=3&catID=111&prodid=181

Dual Density Polyurethane Comfort Sole with 90° Heel
Slip Resistance : A
$S001.jpg

I am a pretty big fan of Birkenstock/Footprints shoes. They do make more than sandals. They have great arch support and have a generous toe area so your toes can spread out a little. I have two pairs that are both more than 10 years old, so they do last.

red wing shoe store

62 montvale ave - ste c
stoneham, ma 02180
(781) 435-0773

Go there. Trust us.
+1 ... if you buy RedWings, get them from a Company-owned store and not a discounter. You may pay a little bit more, but the RW store will give you a proper fitting and provide a lifetime of free "tune-ups," which include cleaning, polishing, waterproofing and new laces and minor repairs. Well worth it in the long run. Hopefully, they have a working computer that will scan your feet and measure the pressure points of your heels, toes, and insteps, and then pick out recommendations from their catalog that will suit your needs in footwear.

And remember to buy shoes after work, not early in the morning or on your day off ... you should have been on your feet for 8 hours, and they will have stretched (or swollen) to their maximum size.

I'm on my feet a lot at work in a store room with a concrete floor, I wear Doc Marten's basic 1460 model boot (it was designed as a work boot originally, before they became fashionable) DM's used to do some pretty smart shoes with steel toe's. The only problem with 'em is the way the price has gone up so much, they're selling for double what I paid for mine 5 years ago.

I have found that Thorogood work shoes are excellent. While I get my work shoes through my employer, one can get Thorogoods and Red Wings in Boston at:

Domestic Boot
859 Dorchester Ave. in Dorchester
( Close to the MBTA Red Line / JFK UMass Stn. )
Ph: 617-265-8000

For a 10 hour surgery, I wouldn't wear anything other than Dansko's. They are a bit pricey, but definitely worth the money. They are the most popular shoe amongst doctors, since Crocs are generally too soft to support the back well. Dansko's help the entire body.

Top Bottom