What's new

Can anyone recommend a good video on how to make a lather?

I just shaved with a straight edge for the second time, and I'm pretty pleased with how I did- managed to get my whole face without cutting myself (admittedly the area right near my neck doesn't look quite as good as the rest because I'm still frightened by rubbing my neck with a sharp chunk of steel).

My problem is my face feels a little fiery. I just watched a couple videos of other people using a straight, and I don't think my technique is that bad but my lather is pitiful compared to theirs which makes me think that's a good place to start.

Any videos come to mind?

There is not much that isn't covered at this website - working up a lather, applying a lather, etc... Have fun.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Pantheist, welcome, buddy! 4 posts! We can do better than just say have a look around. Here are some resources for you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...her-from-a-soap-Tutorial?highlight=lather+jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVaScfYHd0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uSUF3RXvek

Check those out and come on back and ask questions if you have any. You can practice in the evenings even if you are not shaving. I did a lot of practice in the beginning.

I honestly find that most of us when we start out aim to make the most fluffy and can like lather. This results in way to much product and almost nothing slick. So take the videos with a grain of salt. Best thing you can do is practice, and a brush really makes a huge difference. All three of my brushes lather up differently.

Welcome to B&B.

For straights, I like lather that's a bit wetter than for DEs. I find that it helps the razor glide.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
also +1 to CyiDev's comments. I always tried to get stuff that looked like it came out of the can, and was successful, too! A little wetter is normally a little slicker. I'm all about slick now, not meringue like consistency.

For straights, I seem to do better with face lathering than bowl, and +1 on wet and slick! Keep at it and it will "click" for you when everything is right.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Watching the videos now.

My brush is a pure badger from whipped dog, and my soap is bald frog.

Well I can get a nice lather in the bowl now, but transferring it to my face still isn't going well.

It seems like no matter how nice I make the lather in the bowl and how long I spend trying to get it on my face it just goes on really thin and I find myself having to put more on before I even finish my first pass.

Anyone have a trick for it or remember some rookie mistake that I could be unknowingly doing?

Well I can get a nice lather in the bowl now, but transferring it to my face still isn't going well.

It seems like no matter how nice I make the lather in the bowl and how long I spend trying to get it on my face it just goes on really thin and I find myself having to put more on before I even finish my first pass.

Anyone have a trick for it or remember some rookie mistake that I could be unknowingly doing?

Does it dry out after it's on your face for a little while?

I haven't heard of bald frog soap before so I'm not sure of it's quality. You may have a bum soap - maybe some of the other guys can give their input on that specific soap?

I just looked it up online and didn't see much in reviews - it is a glycerine based soap from what I can glean. I'm not the best at getting glycerine based soaps to work well. I had Col Conk in the beginning and just couldn't get it consistent enough and it commonly dried on my face. You may want to go to Bath and Body Works and pick up some CO Bigelow cream (rebranded Proraso). It's pretty easy to lather and use and may be a good idea as you learn to use the soap.

Yeah, it dries out. Just checked and there's a bath and body works less than 10 minutes from here, so maybe I'll check that out.

Thanks again.

It's not that complicated:

Lathering made easy:

1) Wet brush
2) Apply wet brush to soap/cream so as to pick up soap/cream on brush
3) Apply soapy brush to face and build lather

If lather is too thick, add water (see 1 above)
If lather is too thin, add soap/cream (see 2 above)

No video should be needed.

Top Bottom